Minnesota will not go to the Rose Bowl in my Lifetime

That is pretty extreme - I'll admit lol. That game we had every reason to believe we were coming out on top.

Frankly, I've been laughing my ass off at the Vikings the last few seasons. When it comes to the purple....I'm basically Randy Quaid anti-fan in Major League II - that reference may be dated af - but it sums my purple fandom pretty well.

I'm way less hard on the Gophs because no matter what, it's still just a bunch of kids. I really do want them to succeed though.

This is where I'm going to lose almost everyone....I still enjoy wrestling - as a grown ass man. There's a LOT as to why (the backstage drama, the behind the scenes stories etc)....but one of the main reasons is that nobody goes home sad with a wrestling show. It's just a big ass circus and fun is the name of the game. Also, Jim Cornette rocks.
I'm a Seattle fan, so that game gave me great joy. All the more so because Vikings fans tend to be insufferable at times.

And you didn't lose me with that last comment. I've watched every single episode of AEW Dynamite since it premiered, and taken my son to see them live twice. I find the history of pro wrestling completely fascinating. It's very similar to reading about the inner workings of the mafia, or outlaw biker clubs - a completely closed society for decades.

In my opinion the ‘91 World Series was the last truly magical moment in Minnesota sports. I distinctly remember the specific lucky spot in our living room where I watched the games and the feeling of my stomach being in my throat hanging on nearly every pitch especially in games 6-7. I digress. I don’t even watch baseball now. Will Gopher football ever reach those heights? Seems like the sun is setting on those days with super conferences looming.

There has to be 12 step program for us.

Hello, my name is…. and every year I start off as a delusional fan dreaming of Pasadena but always end up with my hopes crushed.

Doc, it hurts when I keep banging my head on the wall.

In my opinion the ‘91 World Series was the last truly magical moment in Minnesota sports. I distinctly remember the specific lucky spot in our living room where I watched the games and the feeling of my stomach being in my throat hanging on nearly every pitch especially in games 6-7. I digress. I don’t even watch baseball now. Will Gopher football ever reach those heights? Seems like the sun is setting on those days with super conferences looming.
There were two others for me. When the Wild upset Colorado in their Cinderella run to the Western Conference finals, which also ended that assclown Patrick Roy's career, and game 163 - the last regular season game at the Dome when the Twins beat Detroit to go to the playoffs. I was at the latter, and it was the loudest crowd I'd ever heard.

Baseball is very hard to watch now. It's almost not even the same game as it was. I know that makes me sound old.

It really is mind boggling though. To have four men's pro sports clubs, that over the course of nearly 30 years (roughly the last point we've had a championship) have produced zero titles. Imagine a collective 120 years of sports with zero titles.
On top of that, since that last title Minnesota teams have only appeared in the SEMI finals 7 times (Vikings with soul-crushing losses in all 4 NFC Championship Games), Twins 1 ALCS, and the Wolves and Wild 1 Western Conference Finals each.

On top of that, since that last title Minnesota teams have only appeared in the SEMI finals 7 times (Vikings with soul-crushing losses in all 4 NFC Championship Games), Twins 1 ALCS, and the Wolves and Wild 1 Western Conference Finals each.
Also, the 2020 Loons reached the MLS semi-finals against Seattle. They led 2-0 in the 75th minute before losing 3-2 with Seattle scoring the winning goal in stoppage time.

I love it when my teams lose.

It gives me a chance to feel superior to those uber-athletic type guys.

Gopher Hockey winning in St Paul in 02 was unreal. OT, then everyone spilling into the streets, I high-fived Dan Monson, that was definitely special, but I get your point.

I loved the Twins as a kid - I was in 1st grade when they won in '91.
By the time the Yankees swept us again a few years ago, I was basically done with them.

I don't even watch baseball now. I'll just echo your words.

The last "magical" minnesota sports moment for me was the "Minneapolis Miracle"....and we know what came after that.

I had no idea that the gophers men's hoops squad that went to the final four, coupled with the vikings run in 98 would be the apex of having fun with MN sports. Had I known, I may have thrown in the towel a bit earlier lol!

I'm a Seattle fan, so that game gave me great joy. All the more so because Vikings fans tend to be insufferable at times.

And you didn't lose me with that last comment. I've watched every single episode of AEW Dynamite since it premiered, and taken my son to see them live twice. I find the history of pro wrestling completely fascinating. It's very similar to reading about the inner workings of the mafia, or outlaw biker clubs - a completely closed society for decades.

Absolutely spot on. I've always loved learning about "Sub Cultures" - and rasslin has one of the most fascinating sub cultures around!
I've been to three AEW shows so far!

As for Minnesota Vikings fans being insufferable - I gotta be honest, I just think NFL fans are insufferable - full stop. But I'm curious what has stood out about Vikings fans - from your Seattle perspective.
I've never really seen Vikings fans being obnoxious about our chances, if anything I can imagine we are annoying from the perspectives of "woe is me" - but ya gotta admit the Vikes have provided a near limitless pool of gut-wrenching losses.

Absolutely spot on. I've always loved learning about "Sub Cultures" - and rasslin has one of the most fascinating sub cultures around!
I've been to three AEW shows so far!

As for Minnesota Vikings fans being insufferable - I gotta be honest, I just think NFL fans are insufferable - full stop. But I'm curious what has stood out about Vikings fans - from your Seattle perspective.
I've never really seen Vikings fans being obnoxious about our chances, if anything I can imagine we are annoying from the perspectives of "woe is me" - but ya gotta admit the Vikes have provided a near limitless pool of gut-wrenching losses.
I think it really depends on the fan base as far as NFL fans go. Some are much worse than others.
And I don't live in Seattle - I've lived here my whole life, but I've always been a Seahawks fan.

Wait !!!, there is yet another chance for the Gopher fans to see the inside of the Rose Bowl before USC and UCLA join the BIG and divisions are gone.
In 2023 the East/West divisions will remain.
So win the west, hope the winners of the east go to the big show and the Rose Bowl might be there for the taking.

Top Bottom