Minnesota State High School Basketball Tournament

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
No games on TV today but looks like they are streaming them for free here http://prepspotlight.tv/ In AAAA #1 Osseo and Eden Prairie are playing right now and in AAA #1 DeLasalle and Fridley are playing right now.

Osseo and DeLasalle both win the 1st games. A couple 4-5 games up next with Maple Grove vs. Lakeville North and Chisago Lakes vs. Monticello. Really looking forward to seeing how Reuvers matches up against Nikko.

The best name in the tourney goes to...

North St. Paul Sophomore "Goodnews Kpegeol". Love that name. Apparently he's a pretty good player as well, led the team with 23 points in their Section win to get to State.

The Gophers could really use Goodnews today!

Both #5 seeds win as Lakeville North beat Maple Grove and Monticello beat Chisago Lakes. Up next is Hopkins and Amir Coffey against North St. Paul and Red Wing against Simley.

Well Reuvers just went for 19 and 14 off Nikko, Nikko had 6 and 5 safe to say Reuvers got the better of him in that one

Well Reuvers just went for 19 and 14 off Nikko, Nikko had 6 and 5 safe to say Reuvers got the better of him in that one
Maple Grove didn't really have Nikko guard Reuvers they kind of just kept him in a spot where he would have helpside on Reuvers. Nikko did score a couple times on Reuvers just using his strength but was in foul trouble much of the game. Reuvers struggled shooting going like 5-16 and did most of his damage at the free throw line 9-9.

Both #5 seeds win as Lakeville North beat Maple Grove and Monticello beat Chisago Lakes. Up next is Hopkins and Amir Coffey against North St. Paul and Red Wing against Simley.

Let's hope they show some NSP band and their fine director (and former St. Paul JCC basketball player) Aaron "the hammer" Hammerman!!!!

Both #2 seeds Hopkins and Red Wing cruise to wins. Apple Valley faces Blaine and Fergus Falls plays against Waseca at 4.

Maple Grove didn't really have Nikko guard Reuvers they kind of just kept him in a spot where he would have helpside on Reuvers. Nikko did score a couple times on Reuvers just using his strength but was in foul trouble much of the game. Reuvers struggled shooting going like 5-16 and did most of his damage at the free throw line 9-9.

On the Brightside gotta appreciate a big man who can knock down his free throws

Did anyone hear if Coffey is okay? Apparently landed on his back and played few mins thereafter. Course Hopkins didn't really need him today but they will tomorrow vs AV.

All Sharp needed was one basket in the second half to give him an average of 4+ ppg on the season. He didn't get it. :/
Anyways, he was one of the few positives to come out of this season for the gophers.

Did anyone hear if Coffey is okay? Apparently landed on his back and played few mins thereafter. Course Hopkins didn't really need him today but they will tomorrow vs AV.
Came back for about the last 5 minutes of the 1st half had a couple rebounds and a nice assist in that time. Only played a few minutes in the 2nd half before resting for the rest of the game. He looked a little sore and tight when he came back in.

The AAA and AAAA semifinals are set for tomorrow.
Noon-#1 DeLasalle vs. #5 Monticello
2pm-#2 Red Wing vs. #3 Fergus Falls

6pm-#1 Osseo vs. #5 Lakeville North
8pm-#2 Hopkins vs. #3 Apple Valley

Jackson County Central pulls off the upset by beating #2 seed Caledonia in Class AA. JCC has a 6-9 senior center in Bodey Behrends who had a nice game with 20 points, 17 rebounds and 5 blocks. He's going to D2 Augustana in Sioux Falls, SD.

If you have not seen Red Wing play then you should try to catch their semi final game vs. Fergus Falls. I have said all year that if RW's G/SF, Toivonen, was 6'6" instead of 6'3" that he would have his own recruiting thread on this board. He is the best basketball player in the BIG 9 conference - better than Michael Hurt. As I understand it Toivonen is going up to UND to play WR this coming fall. Fun to watch this kid's play on a very balanced team.

Minneapolis North up 76-23 on St. Clair midway through the 2nd half. Absolutely embarrassing that North didn't opt up to a class that would at least offer a little competition. Wasted opportunity to give their deserving kids a chance to play on the big stage.

Minneapolis North up 76-23 on St. Clair midway through the 2nd half. Absolutely embarrassing that North didn't opt up to a class that would at least offer a little competition. Wasted opportunity to give their deserving kids a chance to play on the big stage.

Totally agree, though they did play Hopkins (lost by two) and Wayzata (lost handidly).

Well they won the Minneapolis city conf, where most of the teams are 3A, and destroyed Minnehaha Academy and also beat St. Croix Lutheran, so I'd say they'd do more than hang in 3A. I'd like to see Mnpls North/De La Salle or Mnpls North/Red Wing. Would be a good game.

the MSHSL, in all its infinite wisdom, put Mpls North in Class A. Need I say more.

During the debate over district FB, I spoke to an official with the MSHSL. He said (not making this up) that the MSHSL does not consider "competitive balance" when assigning teams to sections and classes. They go entirely by enrollment and geography. So, if you wind up with horrendous mismatches, thank the MSHSL. it's a direct result of their policies.

the MSHSL, in all its infinite wisdom, put Mpls North in Class A. Need I say more.

During the debate over district FB, I spoke to an official with the MSHSL. He said (not making this up) that the MSHSL does not consider "competitive balance" when assigning teams to sections and classes. They go entirely by enrollment and geography. So, if you wind up with horrendous mismatches, thank the MSHSL. it's a direct result of their policies.

This makes a lot of sense for a state with open enrollment. Hopkins High could have an enrollment of 12 boys and still be the best team in the state.

After a little research on twitter, the rumor is North will opt up for the 2017-2018 season. The MSHSL would apparently explode if teams had the opportunity to move up or down every year. The real kicker is North already has the enrollment to be in AA (somewhere around 300), they're only in A because the MSHSL is using their 2014 enrollment before they saw a huge increase in students.

The potential is definitely there with Mar, would be too bad if he goes somewhere other than the Gophs!

Back when my Sanborn Panthers made it to the Tournament in 1984 there was only A and AA!

Enrollments are affected by those students on free and reduced lunches as well.

I disagree with those that think "competitive balance" should be included in decisions. That really muddies the waters projecting how good teams will be.

Mpls. North HS basically had to start over as a Community School and has started to come back to a consistent level. They will now opt up according to an above post.

People will laugh, but this is about education and HS experience. Until club teams take over it will be this way.

Enrollments are affected by those students on free and reduced lunches as well.

I disagree with those that think "competitive balance" should be included in decisions. That really muddies the waters projecting how good teams will be.

Mpls. North HS basically had to start over as a Community School and has started to come back to a consistent level. They will now opt up according to an above post.

People will laugh, but this is about education and HS experience. Until club teams take over it will be this way.
You have to be pretty ignorant if you didn't see this coming with the type of athletes they had in school. This is about adults wanting to be guaranteed winners, not about education or the best possible student athlete experience.

Top Bottom