Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

you can "What-If" this stuff until Heck freezes over.

What If everyone comes back, but Player X blows out his knee in the first week of the season?

What If everyone comes back but someone pulls a 'Carrington' and causes dissention in the locker room?

What if everyone comes back, but some of the players just don't play as well next season as they did last season?

What if everyone comes back but Little Green Men from Roswell show up, put everyone on their space ship and subject them to anal probes?
Now we're talkin'. Let's get into this!

No one is blaming Johnson for Hawkins and PP leaving. We're blaming him for having no success yet.
You're not making any sense. You can't have success without good players.

I was fine with letting Battle & Cooper transfer away for money last off-season...because I wanted Ben's first recruiting class to get some experience.

And just like I hoped...the team developed well last year.

THIS OFF-SEASON I WANTED TO KEEP OUR TEAM.

You're not making any sense. You can't have success without good players.

I was fine with letting Battle & Cooper transfer away for money last off-season...because I wanted Ben's first recruiting class to get some experience.

And just like I hoped...the team developed well last year.

THIS OFF-SEASON I WANTED TO KEEP OUR TEAM.

You're still living in the 90's. Our team was below avg last year(and not terrible like the year before), not because of his first recruiting class gaining experience, but because of the transfers and Christie.

Yeah I would have liked to keep Hawkins and PP, but it's not like we were good with either of them. Them returning certainly didn't guarantee success and them leaving doesn't guarantee we'll be shitty. Can we still be shitty? Well yeah, because this coach and staff hasn't really done anything to inspire any confidence.

You're still living in the 90's. Our team was below avg last year(and not terrible like the year before), not because of his first recruiting class gaining experience, but because of the transfers and Christie.

Yeah I would have liked to keep Hawkins and PP, but it's not like we were good with either of them. Them returning certainly didn't guarantee success and them leaving doesn't guarantee we'll be shitty. Can we still be shitty? Well yeah, because this coach and staff hasn't really done anything to inspire any confidence.
Yes, I was hoping we'd keep our team. You're correct that it's not for-sure that we'd be very good. But I think it was likely.

But you must have been living in the 90's too. I don't remember you saying that Payne, Hawkins, & Christie would all transfer for sure.

Yes, you & many expected Coach Johnson to win big immediately before any recruiting. But I attributed that to typical fan delusion & immaturity. Not to being in the modern age.

Yes, I was hoping we'd keep our team. You're correct that it's not for-sure that we'd be very good. But I think it was likely.

But you must have been living in the 90's too. I don't remember you saying that Payne, Hawkins, & Christie would all transfer for sure.

Yes, you & many expected Coach Johnson to win big immediately before any recruiting. But I attributed that to typical fan delusion & immaturity. Not to being in the modern age.

I had no expectations of him winning big. As I've stated probably 100 times, my baseline expectation was to be better than what the previous coaches last team was. That hasn't happened.

Christie didn't transfer, he went pro. I didn't expect Hawkins to transfer because he said he was coming back. I'm not surprised Payne did. I won't be surprised if Betts, Asuma or Grove transfer after next year.

I had no expectations of him winning big. As I've stated probably 100 times, my baseline expectation was to be better than what the previous coaches last team was. That hasn't happened.

Christie didn't transfer, he went pro. I didn't expect Hawkins to transfer because he said he was coming back. I'm not surprised Payne did. I won't be surprised if Betts, Asuma or Grove transfer after next year.
Ben probably didn't know he'd lose all of his best players. This new system just kicked in big this off-season. Yeah in retrospect, he shouldn't have wasted time recruiting & developing young guys.

But if Pitino lost all of his good players every year, he probably wouldn't have been any better than Ben.

Actually it's you guys that seem unable to accept that.

You're still trying to blame Coach Johnson.
I'm not blaming CBJ for this. I'm blaming the school for not getting into the real dirty business around NIL (pay for play). Typical milquetoast Minnesota response to something.

I'm not blaming CBJ for this. I'm blaming the school for not getting into the real dirty business around NIL (pay for play). Typical milquetoast Minnesota response to something.
It ticks me off to no end that they just now decided that it would be cool to go after a FedeX type donor. They just totally got caught with their pants down on this.

Ben probably didn't know he'd lose all of his best players. This new system just kicked in big this off-season. Yeah in retrospect, he shouldn't have wasted time recruiting & developing young guys.

But if Pitino lost all of his good players every year, he probably wouldn't have been any better than Ben.
It's not a waste of time if you recruit the right guys and build a program where players want to stay, even for less money. You're never going to keep everyone but you can build the program to where you can keep some long term if they think they are going to develop individually and win as a team.

So far there has been little indication of either.

It ticks me off to no end that they just now decided that it would be cool to go after a FedeX type donor. They just totally got caught with their pants down on this.
It's always something holding us down. Too many coincidences for me to believe what they say.

100% true. From the beginning of the NIL discussion, the response was luke-cold, high brow resistance to "paying college athletes". Some kind of moral stance against the wind direction. Mychal Thompson must be beside himself after his $200 mistake he admitted which caused a sh*tstorm at MN.

Pitino just won the Mtn. West tournament and made the NCAA Tournament. If anything, he's better suited for this environment than the previous one. Imagine if Carr would have been granted immediate eligibility in 2019.

Pitino just won the Mtn. West tournament and made the NCAA Tournament. If anything, he's better suited for this environment than the previous one. Imagine if Carr would have been granted immediate eligibility in 2019.
Absolutely it was a crime that he wasn’t able to play right away

It's not a waste of time if you recruit the right guys and build a program where players want to stay, even for less money. You're never going to keep everyone but you can build the program to where you can keep some long term if they think they are going to develop individually and win as a team.

And while football is a completely different animal, PJ has seemingly done exactly this.

This is the problem.

For Minnesota to win big, things have to align just right. Losing even 1 starter has often derailed us.

Giving up 1.2 ppp(points per possession) is still giving up 1.2 ppp.
If using ppg instead of ppp to measure defensive performance is the dumbest thing you have ever read, then many teams smarter than you used ppg because possessions per game wasn't counted for many years. PPP is the preferred measurement, but using ppg can be used to compare to historical defensive performances and your statement can be compared to the stupidity of historically dumb statements.

If using ppg instead of ppp to measure defensive performance is the dumbest thing you have ever read, then many teams smarter than you used ppg because possessions per game wasn't counted for many years. PPP is the preferred measurement, but using ppg can be used to compare to historical defensive performances and your statement can be compared to the stupidity of historically dumb statements.

PPG allowed is a stat. That's it. It's also dumb to use that as a metric when PPP is clearly better. Use it to compare historical performances all you want. It won't mean much. Simply lowering the possessions in a game, doesn't make you play better defense. You will allow fewer points, but if you allow 1.5 PPP in a 80 possession game and 1.5 in a 60 possession game, you're still a shitty defensive team.

It’s all relative. We paid more than their former team or they went to a better situation. Same thing that happened to MN this year.
Well yeah. We're now officially a farm-team to the big-paying schools. Just like small-conference schools are farm-teams to us.

Top Bottom