Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

He will certainly be starting to begin the season. What's he going to do if they want to change it up mid-season? Quit? I guess one advantage of so many seniors is they won't be playing footsie with other schools in the portal the first time they get mad at the coach as it seems happened this year.
That’s what JOJ did.

I'm assuming this closes the door on any chance Carrington comes back. Not that I ever expected it but he still hasn't signed anywhere.

I'm assuming this closes the door on any chance Carrington comes back. Not that I ever expected it but he still hasn't signed anywhere.
Dumb move on his part to enter the portal. No power 5 school or mid major will pick up an average defensive player who can’t shoot. He quit on the team twice last year. Heard he was a cancer in the locker room.

So 8 outgoing and 8 incoming.

I feel like we lost all of our upside but gained useful depth. If given the choice I'd take upside all day but I guess old isn't always bad either.

If I had to rank the incoming/outgoing I'd say:

Cam
Payne
Hawkins
Patterson
Mitchell
Asuma
Odukale
Carrington
Rigsby
Edmunds
JOJ
Williams
Grove
II
KK
Wilson

So lost best 3 and worst 3. I think an NCAA berth is a long shot, but I also think it's a long shot we finish bottom 3 and miss the BTT.
You forgot Christie....

I hope this means we will see an emphasis on using our depth. Even if there's a bit of a drop off, I'd like see more players earning minutes. This would reduce wear and tear on the top 6-7 and also help to develop and prepare reserves. It may also keep a few more players happy and (hopefully) curb the 2025 exodus.
Who you play has nothing to do with keeping players happy. You play the guys who can help you win, a game at a time.

Dumb move on his part to enter the portal. No power 5 school or mid major will pick up an average defensive player who can’t shoot. He quit on the team twice last year. Heard he was a cancer in the locker room.
Whiny? Or entitled?

With this signing Ben will have arguably his deepest team to date. Now that recruiting is over, time to coach and get these guys playing great team basketball. November can't come soon enough!
Not arguably. It is.

Who you play has nothing to do with keeping players happy. You play the guys who can help you win, a game at a time.
Then why do most coaches with a clue use a 8- or 9-man rotation. To use fewer players results in Ben 's results....see Gophers 2021, 2022, 2023 and projecting 2024.

Then why do most coaches with a clue use a 8- or 9-man rotation. To use fewer players results in Ben 's results....see Gophers 2021, 2022, 2023 and projecting 2024.
There is a chicken and egg problem going on here.

We didn't play 8/9 players because we didn't have 8/9 players capable of playing. Better teams have more good players.

The clue is they know they have eight or nine players who can help the team win that night. Johnson has not had that until this roster for next season.

We didn't play 8/9 players because we didn't have 8/9 players capable of playing. Better teams have more good players.
And teams that overuse 6 and 7 players get their butts kicked by less-talented, better-rested teams because they used an 8-or 9- man rotation like most good coaches do.

Now that this is a done deal, I want to remind people that Patterson made a splashy declaration that he was staying at Charlotte and 4 days later entered the portal and wound up here. If you were upset with Texas Tech for (likely "tampering" and) plucking Hawkins from the Gophers after he said he was staying, then how do you judge the Gophers in the Patterson case?

For the record, although it's clearly better to be the plucker than the pluckee, I just don't care. I've adapted to the new normal. Until there are actually rules ...

Now that this is a done deal, I want to remind people that Patterson made a splashy declaration that he was staying at Charlotte and 4 days later entered the portal and wound up here. If you were upset with Texas Tech for (likely "tampering" and) plucking Hawkins from the Gophers after he said he was staying, then how do you judge the Gophers in the Patterson case?

For the record, although it's clearly better to be the plucker than the pluckee, I just don't care. I've adapted to the new normal. Until there are actually rules ...
Patterson changed his mind when Hawkins entered the portal at Minnesota.

Ergo, there are no portal virgins.

A year ago, if we knew Fox and Ihnen would be healthy we'd have been thrilled with the great depth of the team as well. Still only ended up using 6-7 most nights.

Top Bottom