Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

And teams that overuse 6 and 7 players get their butts kicked by less-talented, better-rested teams because they used an 8-or 9- man rotation like most good coaches do.

It depends how sharp the drop off is.

If you can't recruit 8 playable players, find a job that you are good at and quit coaching!

Patterson is 3 inches taller than Hawkins.

"Minneapolis native Lu'Cye Patterson, who starred at Charlotte the past two seasons, committed to the Gophers. He appears to be a frontrunner to replace Elijah Hawkins, who transferred to Texas A&M, as the starting point guard in 2024-25.

Patterson, a 6-foot-2 combo guard, played his first two years of college at Missouri State. He went to Brooklyn Center High School and as a sophomore he averaged 24.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.5 assists while leading the Centaurs to the state tournament for the first time in 33 years."

A year ago, if we knew Fox and Ihnen would be healthy we'd have been thrilled with the great depth of the team as well. Still only ended up using 6-7 most nights.
Because we got one of two on Fox and Ihnen and half a year from JOJ and Carrington, both of whom had been counted on more than Fox and Ihnen.

It depends how sharp the drop off is.

You have to either recruit a bench or develop a bench but you need a bench. Pitino recognized that failure to develop or recruit a bench was perhaps his biggest failure at Minnesota (he said that in an interview after he left). Ben failed to do that in his first three years and maybe that's why he went for recruiting a depth of experience in this class.

When you have kids who become cancers in the locker room and give up on their team, it does tend to shorten up the bench

Perhaps but Ben must make sure he does what is necessary to minimize the potential for that situation this season. I suspect he realizes that.

I doubt it. He has his team.
HIS TEAM is short one wing at this time.
If the Gopher-holers don't get it, I understand, but the HC is supposed to be smarter than people that live in a gopher hole.

HIS TEAM is short one wing at this time.
If the Gopher-holers don't get it, I understand, but the HC is supposed to be smarter than people that live in a gopher hole.

Well, if you feel that way, send him $200 grand.

Won’t make any difference who we bring in - still have the same coaching staff. As a side note I see there t’s discussion on the rules commission to do away with the center jump. Instead flip a coin to see who gets the first possession. Makes sense to me.

Interesting to see the comments to Patterson on his commitment announcement. They are really dogging him for "taking the bag $$$", complaining how they can't compete with P5 conferences, and for his reneging on his announcement that he was returning to Charlotte. Sounds almost identical to our complaints about Hawkins.....

That’s what JOJ did.
The Gophers are now solid in the backcourt. and as a total team, Mitchell can go back to being a 2 guard and sometime pg, same with Patterson! They can develop Asuma, and the have Williams in that role as well. They have 2 wing players, 2 centers, one of which will get minutes also at PF and they have Grove who they also can give spot minutes!
Now we see if Ben can coach and actually utilise a team who has a bench that gives him depth. He can go higher pressure as well. Again now the onus is on him because i think they have a sollid team! If he does a decent to good job they should be fun to watch and I think a good team ( 9th place or above in a 18 team Big Ten)!
Hey can anyone tell me why Tre Holloman who gets very limited minutes at MSU would stay there?
Again nice job in the Portal Gopher Coaching Staff!

The Gophers are now solid in the backcourt. and as a total team, Mitchell can go back to being a 2 guard and sometime pg, same with Patterson! They can develop Asuma, and the have Williams in that role as well. They have 2 wing players, 2 centers, one of which will get minutes also at PF and they have Grove who they also can give spot minutes!
Now we see if Ben can coach and actually utilise a team who has a bench that gives him depth. He can go higher pressure as well. Again now the onus is on him because i think they have a sollid team! If he does a decent to good job they should be fun to watch and I think a good team ( 9th place or above in a 18 team Big Ten)!
Hey can anyone tell me why Tre Holloman who gets very limited minutes at MSU would stay there?
Again nice job in the Portal Gopher Coaching Staff!
Holloman was a key reserve for them in the NCAA tournament and got a lot of minutes as the season went on. I think he's set up to be the starter this year, although they have a stud PG coming back (Fears?) who missed last season after being shot.

Top Bottom