Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

You have to either recruit a bench or develop a bench but you need a bench. Pitino recognized that failure to develop or recruit a bench was perhaps his biggest failure at Minnesota (he said that in an interview after he left). Ben failed to do that in his first three years and maybe that's why he went for recruiting a depth of experience in this class.
Also, we all complained because tubby played too many guys and no one could get in a rhythm.

No, I think that Ben is saving a place for Cam Christie who is a slim hope of returning.
So you mean that Evans wants to come to Minnesota but Ben is waiting?

Also, we all complained because tubby played too many guys and no one could get in a rhythm.

Well, I don't know what to say about that. I wasn't as much of a fan during most of Tubby's tenure. I do have strong feelings that the last two Gopher coaches had not done enough to get regular contributions from the bench and that hurt them in the latter part of the season.

Charlotte against FAU

Charlotte against University of South Florida

Charlotte against Memphis
Thanks for those. After watching a good chunk of those...he is strong with the ball and plays good defense. The shooting didn't look great although he was a 35% 3 point shooter on pretty good volume so maybe just some off nights here.

So you mean that Evans wants to come to Minnesota but Ben is waiting?
I think EVANS IS CONSIDERING MINNESOTA.
THe fact that he is still uncommitted indicates that he is waiting for something before he decides.
Maybe he is waiting for Christie's decision (May29).
Maybe not..

I am liking this roster with a few thoughts. Patterson was listed at 6'1"/230lbs last year, and I am certain CBJ and staff will get him leaner/faster. I like the look of a slightly heavier PG like Chucky Hepburn or even Marcus Carr when he was here. Helps in Big Ten play to be a bit thicker without giving up much quickness. It may limit Patterson's minutes. His stat lines are solid over the last two years esp. Turnover rate of 8.5% in conf.,(Hawkins was 23.9% overall). His Player Efficiency Rating and Offensive Rating was solid and he's a very good FT shooter at 75.4%. If MN can get 10-12 pts of his 14.6pt./gm average out of him in the Big Ten that would be unlikely but tremendous. Patterson was top 20 in AAC last year in the following: Asst/gm, FGs, FTs, Offensive Win Shares, Asst.%, Points, FT%, FGA, FTA, PF, TO%, 2PFG%, 2PFG, Player Eff Rating, Off Rating, Assists, True Shooting %, Usage%.

With the addition of Patterson to MN roster, Torvik sees us as the #61 best roster, and projects .8125 team rank which fell 54th in final ranking '24. Teams in that group finishing last year: Providence, FAU, S. Carolina, Iowa, Virg. Tech. (NCState was #48 last year).

After looking at the statistical history of the remaining roster additions, I am hoping the minutes distribution will fall roughly as listed below with aggressive team defense and high energy.

Garcia--34min/gm
M. Mitchell--25
Edmonds--22
F. Mitchell--24
Patterson--24
Fox--13
Odukale--15
Rigsby--17
Betts--15
Williams--6
Asuma--5

If Christie would have returned, I would have liked this roster, even without PP and Hawkins, better than last year's.

Patterson, Mitchell, Odukale, Garcia, Mitchell would be my guess for the starting 5. Asuma, Rigsby, Williams, Fox, Edmonds off the bench.
@Gopher_In_NYC What's worse? Me making up a goofy Barnstormers topic? Or guys with measured responses actually believing stuff like this ^^^ ?

So 8 outgoing and 8 incoming.

I feel like we lost all of our upside but gained useful depth. If given the choice I'd take upside all day but I guess old isn't always bad either.

If I had to rank the incoming/outgoing I'd say:

Cam
Payne
Hawkins
Patterson
Mitchell
Asuma
Odukale
Carrington
Rigsby
Edmunds
JOJ
Williams
Grove
II
KK
Wilson

So lost best 3 and worst 3. I think an NCAA berth is a long shot, but I also think it's a long shot we finish bottom 3 and miss the BTT.
Lol what drivel.

I am liking this roster with a few thoughts. Patterson was listed at 6'1"/230lbs last year, and I am certain CBJ and staff will get him leaner/faster. I like the look of a slightly heavier PG like Chucky Hepburn or even Marcus Carr when he was here. Helps in Big Ten play to be a bit thicker without giving up much quickness. It may limit Patterson's minutes. His stat lines are solid over the last two years esp. Turnover rate of 8.5% in conf.,(Hawkins was 23.9% overall). His Player Efficiency Rating and Offensive Rating was solid and he's a very good FT shooter at 75.4%. If MN can get 10-12 pts of his 14.6pt./gm average out of him in the Big Ten that would be unlikely but tremendous. Patterson was top 20 in AAC last year in the following: Asst/gm, FGs, FTs, Offensive Win Shares, Asst.%, Points, FT%, FGA, FTA, PF, TO%, 2PFG%, 2PFG, Player Eff Rating, Off Rating, Assists, True Shooting %, Usage%.

With the addition of Patterson to MN roster, Torvik sees us as the #61 best roster, and projects .8125 team rank which fell 54th in final ranking '24. Teams in that group finishing last year: Providence, FAU, S. Carolina, Iowa, Virg. Tech. (NCState was #48 last year).

After looking at the statistical history of the remaining roster additions, I am hoping the minutes distribution will fall roughly as listed below with aggressive team defense and high energy.

Garcia--34min/gm
M. Mitchell--25
Edmonds--22
F. Mitchell--24
Patterson--24
Fox--13
Odukale--15
Rigsby--17
Betts--15
Williams--6
Asuma--5
It will be interesting. We are going to be a different type of team, totally, than we had last year. The only guy on this list you would say will put up big numbers is Garcia.
Asuma will play plenty IMO. This is going to be a grind it out squad, much better defensively based on the past performance of the guys they got . I doubt this team shoots as well as last year's squad.

@Gopher_In_NYC What's worse? Me making up a goofy Barnstormers topic? Or guys with measured responses actually believing stuff like this ^^^ ?

We get it man. You love CBJ so much you'll forever cling to the notion that you thought had all those guys come back we would have been good, thus you'll be correct about your assessment of him. I mean it doesn't even let you be positive about the upcoming season. What a shame.

You act like we lost 2 studs to transfer. Patterson and Hawkins are different types of players. Patterson had a much better track record than Hawkins did before transferring. If I had my choice between Patterson coming into this year and Hawkins going into last year, I'm hands down taking Patterson. Patterson had a better PER, WS and WS/40

Also, I prefaced my statement in regards to us having Christie, which we won't because he's a 1 and done.

Seriously, what was so great about the overall roster last year, that you cling too so badly? That lead us to being a fringe top 90 team.

The Gophers are now solid in the backcourt. and as a total team, Mitchell can go back to being a 2 guard and sometime pg, same with Patterson! They can develop Asuma, and the have Williams in that role as well. They have 2 wing players, 2 centers, one of which will get minutes also at PF and they have Grove who they also can give spot minutes!
Now we see if Ben can coach and actually utilise a team who has a bench that gives him depth. He can go higher pressure as well. Again now the onus is on him because i think they have a sollid team! If he does a decent to good job they should be fun to watch and I think a good team ( 9th place or above in a 18 team Big Ten)!
Hey can anyone tell me why Tre Holloman who gets very limited minutes at MSU would stay there?
Again nice job in the Portal Gopher Coaching Staff!
You didn’t watch MSU play much last season, eh?

THe fact that he is still uncommitted indicates that he is waiting for something before he decides.
Maybe not..
Have you talked to Evans to know what he is thinking?

Have you talked to Evans to know what he is thinking?
No, I read that the Giphers contacted him, but I read nothing about a campus visit and i know he has not committed to any school so far.
I know nothing about what he is thinking, doing or saying.
If you think that I think I do, then you misread my posts.
If he has made up his mind, i haven't read anything to indicate anything about his decision.
If you think i know what he is thinking, then you have no idea what I am thinking.

Maybe not..
If Evans visits and wants to commit you take him. in today's landscape why would you wait for Christie! He showed his intentions by entering the portal last minute. Don't blame him but why show him that loyalty on off chance he comes back. If you can get an all conference player in his stead you take him!

So 8 outgoing and 8 incoming.

I feel like we lost all of our upside but gained useful depth. If given the choice I'd take upside all day but I guess old isn't always bad either.

If I had to rank the incoming/outgoing I'd say:

Cam
Payne
Hawkins
Patterson
Mitchell
Asuma
Odukale
Carrington
Rigsby
Edmunds
JOJ
Williams
Grove
II
KK
Wilson

So lost best 3 and worst 3. I think an NCAA berth is a long shot, but I also think it's a long shot we finish bottom 3 and miss the BTT.
4th year and that’s what we’re looking at…

as far as depth at wing - that depends on how the coaches see the players and how they plan to use them. your definition of a wing player may be different than what the coaches see as a wing player.
I know Johnson has talked in the past about wanting guys who can play multiple positions, so a big guard or a smaller forward could also conceivably be a wing.

I grew up in the days of 2 guards, 2 forwards and a Center. then it became PG, SG, SF, PF and Center/Post - or the 1-2-3-4-5 designation. so is the Wing a SG or a SF? Neither, or both?

as far as depth at wing - that depends on how the coaches see the players and how they plan to use them. your definition of a wing player may be different than what the coaches see as a wing player.
I know Johnson has talked in the past about wanting guys who can play multiple positions, so a big guard or a smaller forward could also conceivably be a wing.

I grew up in the days of 2 guards, 2 forwards and a Center. then it became PG, SG, SF, PF and Center/Post - or the 1-2-3-4-5 designation. so is the Wing a SG or a SF? Neither, or both?
Both, but the problem arises when our 6'2" wing (Mitchell) has to guard the opponents' 6'7" wing. That is why Evans (6'5") and Christie (6'6") are so valuable and necessary.

Both, but the problem arises when our 6'2" wing (Mitchell) has to guard the opponents' 6'7" wing. That is why Evans (6'5") and Christie (6'6") are so valuable and necessary.
Rigsby and Odukale both have size.

Rigsby and Odukale both have size.
Rigsby is 1" taller than Mitchell at 6'3"
Odukale has size, but he is the only big wing on the roster.
Some games you need two big wings.

Top Bottom