Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

This makes sense. 99% chance Christie is gone to the NBA.
So you mean there’s a chance? 🤔. I have no idea if there really is one either. But I bet Ben Johnson does, and it’s doubtful that if there is a chance that chance would be improved by his discussing it publicly.

Two big wings are often required.
There is need and room for one more scholarship at wing.
PG's and Bigs are solid.
We need more scoring and size that one good wing could provide.
If not Ken Evans Jr, we need to add a wing with a similar skill set.

There is need and room for one more scholarship at wing.
PG's and Bigs are solid.
We need more scoring and size that one good wing could provide.
If not Ken Evans Jr, we need to add a wing with a similar skill set.

so, just for the sake of argument - considering that the portal is getting picked over, and considering that the Gophers, from most accounts, are not swimming in NIL money, is a team like MN going to find a player at this stage of the game who......1. can actually play......and 2. is willing to come to MN?

look, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. I'd love to see the Gophers be 2-deep or more at every position, and have every player on the roster be capable of giving them production in a B1G game.

I'm just wondering if that is feasible?

Most teams out of the top 30 or so in the country have some deficiencies. if they didn't have deficiencies, they'd be in the top 30. so the job of the coaches is to find a way to emphasize the team's strengths and minimize those deficiencies.

so, just for the sake of argument - considering that the portal is getting picked over, and considering that the Gophers, from most accounts, are not swimming in NIL money, is a team like MN going to find a player at this stage of the game who......1. can actually play......and 2. is willing to come to MN?

look, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. I'd love to see the Gophers be 2-deep or more at every position, and have every player on the roster be capable of giving them production in a B1G game.

Most teams out of the top 30 or so in the country have some deficiencies. if they didn't have deficiencies, they'd be in the top 30. so the job of the coaches is to find a way to emphasize the team's strengths and minimize those deficiencies.
It’s not feasible. Get the best players you can get and hope for the best.

It is feasible and if they are NOT willing to come to Minnesota, we have not lost anything except a little time spent.
How can NOT filling a need, be better than filling a need?

I’m thinking they are probably still searching. This, as Ben knows even better than us, is a huge season for him.

Yeah, whatever, I've read those same sentiments a couple of hundred times on this board. Obviously, originality in thought and expression isn't a priority of yours.

I am pretty sure he says the same dreck on the football board FWIW.

I have never seen this guy play but its good news and people seem happy and he is wearing our jersey so I support this 100% and am excited to see what happens!

I don't know how this will all work out, but it does look like Ben put together a deeper squad that might be a bit lighter on talent. That is fine, as long as he uses that depth to his advantage. There is no excuse now if he plays a small rotation...he brought these guys in if they aren't good enough that is on him. I suspect that he is trying to take a Herb Brooks approach to this...and if it works the team could be fun to watch.

Also, we all complained because tubby played too many guys and no one could get in a rhythm.
Part of that was the guys he was subbing in...many of whom got way more minutes than they should. (same argument some make about JOJ and Carrington) Plus he would sub in like 4 players at a time sometimes...the joke was he was doing hockey line changes!

You can rotate in players without taking everyone out at once...

We get it man. You love CBJ so much you'll forever cling to the notion that you thought had all those guys come back we would have been good, thus you'll be correct about your assessment of him. I mean it doesn't even let you be positive about the upcoming season. What a shame.

You act like we lost 2 studs to transfer. Patterson and Hawkins are different types of players. Patterson had a much better track record than Hawkins did before transferring. If I had my choice between Patterson coming into this year and Hawkins going into last year, I'm hands down taking Patterson. Patterson had a better PER, WS and WS/40

Also, I prefaced my statement in regards to us having Christie, which we won't because he's a 1 and done.

Seriously, what was so great about the overall roster last year, that you cling too so badly? That lead us to being a fringe top 90 team.
His argument all of last year was the team was building to a Clem like run where the players develop into a Sweet Sixteen team next year...he is sticking to that even though there is zero evidence that would happen. He is also ignoring that everyone here told him that couldn't happen now and we would be doing exactly what we are because no player is going to stick around.

I were Ben, I would donate my own money to help insure my future (next year's) job security.
Or he could go after Chaz Lanier from North Florida who is in the portal after making 44% OF HIS 3-POINT SHOTS LAST SEASON!!!!
YIKES!

Or he could go after Chaz Lanier from North Florida who is in the portal after making 44% OF HIS 3-POINT SHOTS LAST SEASON!!!!
YIKES!
Not as good as KAT, who makes 58% of his 3pt shots for the Twolves.
Still pretty good for a college portal guy.

No, I read that the Giphers contacted him, but I read nothing about a campus visit and i know he has not committed to any school so far.
I know nothing about what he is thinking, doing or saying.
If you think that I think I do, then you misread my posts.
If he has made up his mind, i haven't read anything to indicate anything about his decision.
If you think i know what he is thinking, then you have no idea what I am thinking.
I am actually pleased to not know what you are thinking.

It will be interesting. We are going to be a different type of team, totally, than we had last year. The only guy on this list you would say will put up big numbers is Garcia.
Asuma will play plenty IMO. This is going to be a grind it out squad, much better defensively based on the past performance of the guys they got . I doubt this team shoots as well as last year's squad.
Gritty & grind it out defensively.

In other words...we're going to suck.

Rigsby is 1" taller than Mitchell at 6'3"
Odukale has size, but he is the only big wing on the roster.
Some games you need two big wings.
Well at least we might stack up as far as inches in height.

LOL this board is something else. And I only read 2 comments so far.

Top Bottom