Minnesota/Illinois game thread

Welch's number's are empty. When it mattered he curled into the fetal position. Pretty amazing how the most important plays involving Welch were all negative in his direction in the last 2 minutes of regulation and in OT

That's BS. I've seen much, much worse called a swinging elbow technical

Welch's number's are empty. When it mattered he curled into the fetal position. Pretty amazing how the most important plays involving Welch were all negative in his direction in the last 2 minutes of regulation and in OT

Ah, cut the kid some slack. It's his first big ten game and he's taken a ton of initiative and put himself in the right places. I like his game so far.

high violent elbows with a whiff get called all of the time. That hit his jaw squarely. That's f'in BS

The elbow wasn't called because it barely grazed Ahanmisi if anything. Looked like a flop to me.

Ah, cut the kid some slack. It's his first big ten game and he's taken a ton of initiative and put himself in the right places. I like his game so far.

There are 2 plays that could have drastically increased the Gopher's chances in winning this game. Welch was responsible for missing both. One was a missed FT. The other was a missed open layup.

Watch Welch's performance the last 12 minutes of the game. He's clueless and just shat his pants. He's a junior.

Damnit. Would've been nice to have this one and not choke it away like we always do.

Welch isn't solely responsible for this loss by any means whatsoever, but wow that was bad.

Welch was the definition of not clutch today. Too many easy misses including the free throws and the layups.

Welch really played terrible down the stretch and in the OTs...Rodney also vacated the premises...we simply cant win Half court games...need a frenetic pace or forget it.

Love to hear who you guys would rather have playing. 15 points 4 assists and 0 turnovers. Yeah didn't come through when we needed him but who else would put those numbers up. Coleman? Not quite ready. Dre Hollins? Tubby doesn't trust him yet. Sucks we lost but we have the players we have this year.

Holy sh!t people, the 2 most criticized players of this game have been Julian Welch and Ralph Sampson. Without them we lose this game by 20.

This game was basically in the bag twice and Julian Welch singlehandedly blew it both times. What a choker...........

Welch isn't solely responsible for this loss by any means whatsoever, but wow that was bad.

Players have to make the plays but Tubby was clueless on the substitutions. Needed to give Welch a breather and a fresh look at things after the missed free throw. Then he goes with Ahanmisi for the last 15+ minutes of the game. He didn't hurt them but he's just zero threat.
Some guys he sticks with no matter what and others have the short string (Andre Hollins, Armelin). Oh well.

Love to hear who you guys would rather have playing. 15 points 4 assists and 0 turnovers. Yeah didn't come through when we needed him but who else would put those numbers up. Coleman? Not quite ready. Dre Hollins? Tubby doesn't trust him yet. Sucks we lost but we have the players we have this year.

Agree; wouldn't have been in a position for overtime without Welch. Did choke at the end, though, but that will hopefully come with time.

Tubby needed to do some subbing in the second overtime; players out there were completely spent.

If someone hits a jumper in the 1st half, it's good for keeping the team in the game but it certainly doesn't solidify the outcome. When someone sharts their pants over and over and over again in the last 2 minutes of regulation and in OT, it DRASTICALLY impacts the outcome.

If someone hits a jumper in the 1st half, it's good for keeping the team in the game but it certainly doesn't solidify the outcome. When someone sharts their pants over and over and over again in the last 2 minutes of regulation and in OT, it DRASTICALLY impacts the outcome.

I think a lot of it was that they were spent since Tubby didn't sub anyone out but Williams in the last 15 minutes (including the 2 OTs)!!

Agreed some subbing and I think they win the game. Looked to me even with Welchs limited leaping ability his legs were dead tired when he tried to explode to the rim on the lay-up and thats why he missed. Sucks we are 0-1 this is a game we could have had. Next up at Michigan no reason that the Gophers can't play with Michigan. Do I expect them to win no, could they? There aren't to many games in the Big Ten that they really don't have a chance.

Welch missed a couple chances to win the game, but as others have posted, without him and Sampson, we get burried today. Welch had a nice game sans for the two missed chances down the stretch.

Welch had two easy chances to ice the game. Failed both times. Sampson, gave the momentum away with his lack of concentration with the Illini steal and dunk. Not to mention his staring down the Illini player as he armed/aimed/shot a non contested 3 pointer. And what can I say about Tubby, not knowing enough to tell his players to foul... we finally fouled at 16 seconds, down by 6. Wow... and can someone in the media please ask him why he does whole line substitution changes? Sure, players need breaks but come on, why put team B in all at once? What does it do for them? I honestly think last year some of the freshmen could have learned better had they had a chance to play with a few of the starters... same for this year.

Tough game fought by the gophers. Some horrible shooting in the 1st half and seeing eliason and welch miss some should of been layups. I feel we can play with some of the best in the bigten. HOpefully next game will be better.

Good for you for hitting the home run in the 5th to tie the game. Doesn't compare to the magnitude of hitting into a double play with 1 out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th in the tie game. Think Cuddyer,

Can't trot the pitcher out there for the 130th pitch in a tie game when he is used to getting pulled after 100 pitches. Manager needs to take some of the blame!

Top Bottom