Minnesota @ Illinois Game Thread

Iverson with a nice half so far but it's being overshadowed by DJ

I love how we are playing...lots of energy and strong on the boards, scoring in the paint. If we could hit anything outside, we would be really on fire. I would love to see us hit a few three pointers to end the half.

The guys are getting a lot of easy baskets right now because the Illini are overplaying everything. Also, we're hitting our midrange shots and layups tonight.

One of these trips, we're going to need to hit a three....

Much more fun to watch than some of the defensive slug fests we have seen in the big ten this year.

Iverson is tough as nails.

Once again, we see a Gopher Team led by one player taking charge....different person each night. Interesting to see how this always plays out. An entire half to go, so we will see.

TO's keeping IL in the game. We need to protect the ball.

what the hell. stop shooting outside Sampson.

Wow what a brick by Sampson.

Time to tank the end of the half like usual.

Sampson's shot was a brick, but it wasn't a bad shot. He can hit that shot. He will need to hit that shot.

Of course we suck at the half and don't even get a shot off.

28-23 Illinois at the half. Nolen screw up at the end.

Tough end to the half. But we are in this one. We need a strong start to the 2nd half. I would go back inside, that is how we built the early lead. We are pounding them on the boards.

Ouch - really played hard and can not shoot...............Nice half by Iverson and Johnson though. Nolen what has happened to you?

Is there ever an end to the 1st half that isn't a "tough" end? Seems like something similar happens every game.

Nolen is brutal running the offense.

Sampson CAN hit that shot. It pisses me off when fans criticize a guy for shooting a wide open shot. It was a good look and he can hit that. Shut the F up.

Nolen is a glory hound, he's not a leader yet, I'd bench him until he learns better, Devoe is more of a team player

It's quite amazing that the Gophers are down only 5 when they are 1-20 from outside of the paint, including 0-9 from three point land.

Make a jumper.

Lack of outside shooting is killing us in this game. If we had hit one or even two three's in the first half, we'd be in the lead.

Overall, I like the way we match up with this team. I think we can make a really strong push in the second half. Of course, I've thought that a couple of other times this year too!!!!:p

I see your point that it is an open look but he is zero for the season on shots from beyone 17 feet....also nolen you are brutal

Why is Nolen in there? I'm sorry, "Al fans", he just isn't doing the job!

- Turnovers
- Shot selection (can a team shoot any worse from the outside?)...Pound it inside!
- Watching the ball too much on defense, allowing Meacham and Frazier to get open
- Al, what the heck was that?! Geez! Not the guy who should have the ball at the end. Put Joseph in there.

- Good thing Illinois has missed a bunch of shots, too. We're still in it...

GopherGold, I tend to agree with you on Nolen, a "glory hound" is a good way of putting it. He dribbles too much , he looks off of his teammates (there's countless examples of him ignoring Hoff and other players posting up).

That last possesion was pretty horrible on his part.

- Al, what the heck was that?! Geez! Not the guy who should have the ball at the end. Put Joseph in there.

When Joseph has been in a similar spot at the end of the half the past few weeks he also has turned it over. With that said, I'd rather Joseph turn it over than Nolen because at least Joseph has shown an ability to score.

- Turnovers
- Shot selection (can a team shoot any worse from the outside?)...Pound it inside!
- Watching the ball too much on defense, allowing Meacham and Frazier to get open

- Good thing Illinois has missed a bunch of shots, too. We're still in it...

Your absolutely right, but we have to hit some of these looks from outside. We haven't hit one yet and we're only down five. If we even hit a couple, it would change the complexion of what we're doing on offense and open up things a little more in the middle for DJ, Damian and Sampson.

Top Bottom