Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

Those weren't the districts actually splitting into new, separate districts.

Maybe there should be a state law, though: one high school = one district, with all associated admin and feeder & alternative schools.
I wonder how the administration would work for say Anoka Hennepin to now have 5 superintendants instead of 1 now share any money across the district. Like you said when was the last time this happened?

Nothing prevents it.

Guessing there have been more than zero new school districts created in the state since 19xx that weren't from combining smaller districts. Could easily be wrong.
Who draws up district lines? County or State?

I don't think any county, city, or the state ever sat down and said "OK, this is how we're going to divide up the state into school districts".

I think there's a massive amount of history and evolution of how it came to be like it is.

Neither. They are separate from county or municipal boundaries, with the possible exception of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Thus the term "independent school district." Most formed from the consolidation of smaller country schools, even in places like Wayzata, or Stillwater, or Forest Lake.

It seems silly that there are tiny districts like St. Anthony Village or Brooklyn Center, but then again, the Twin Cities area has an abnormally large number of small municipalities compared to other, similar sized cities.

By the way 21-0 Mahtomedi over Cooper in second half

Absolutely I was, for that small section.
What word is this a definition of:

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

There is just no reason in the slightest for a young person to play padded tackle football before 9th grade. If you have the physical tools, you can still get to varsity.

The key thing is not to send your kid to a psycho overcrowded school hell bent on championships that forces kids to practice year round and specialize from 2nd grade onward.
Virtually nobody, at least in this state, is specializing in football year round. Maybe in Texas or Florida. It's the specialization in other sports, and not just the large high schools, that is taking kids away from football. Most notably hockey.

As for your "psycho overcrowded school" comment, that's just the usual trash you spew about suburban parents.

No, but the talent shift to newer parts of town is now at South. The best programs are desireable communities that can get young families to recycle homes and stay through High School.
Yes. And districts with multiple high schools (anoka Hennepin, Rosemount apple valley Eagan, osseo, south Washington county) you have to navigate local politics a lot more when it comes to number of assistant coaches, facilities, etc

A lot of the homes in the LS attendance area, I would bet are as high as anywhere in the metro in terms of "first family in the home".

Unless you're saying that kids that would normally go to North, are transferring to South. That is possible.

Here's my theory. I don't live in Lakeville, but am adjacent and have several friends connected to both LN & LS, just to preface it.

In the 10 years after the split I know of several examples where kids (multiple families & sports) who lived in the LS zone, open enrolled to LN. They did it because of the strong tradition to play for highly successful coaches, be with friends and where siblings played. The schools are only 2 miles apart so so that's not much of a factor, and it was possible that LN was even closer. At least one LN team that dominated (not football) had several players that were open enrollees.

As coaches move on or retire less of a pull to transfer/open enroll. Now LS at least has some of their own tradition, and kids want to stay with the friends they have been with through the feeder systems their whole lives.

And I think in some districts with multiple high schools, they don't allow intra-district open enrollment. I believe, though not positive, Robbinsdale does not.

And I think in some districts with multiple high schools, they don't allow intra-district open enrollment. I believe, though not positive, Robbinsdale does not.
It is odd. A recipe for losing kids to other districts. However, if you allow it one school might die while Another lives

Here's my theory. I don't live in Lakeville, but am adjacent and have several friends connected to both LN & LS, just to preface it.

In the 10 years after the split I know of several examples where kids (multiple families & sports) who lived in the LS zone, open enrolled to LN. They did it because of the strong tradition to play for highly successful coaches, be with friends and where siblings played. The schools are only 2 miles apart so so that's not much of a factor, and it was possible that LN was even closer. At least one LN team that dominated (not football) had several players that were open enrollees.

As coaches move on or retire less of a pull to transfer/open enroll. Now LS at least has some of their own tradition, and kids want to stay with the friends they have been with through the feeder systems their whole lives.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Probably similar things in Chaska/Chanhassen district? Both are pretty good at football now, and for the last few years, while I feel like when Chaska was in the old Lake they were terrible.

Virtually nobody, at least in this state, is specializing in football year round.
Agree, in the sense that there aren't clubs and/or year-round (indoor) training facilities for football specific skills and off-season club team practices.

Frankly, not sure why they haven't popped up, like AAU basketball and club volleyball, hockey, baseball, etc etc etc

It's the specialization in other sports, and not just the large high schools
Right

that is taking kids away from football. Most notably hockey.
I wasn't even going for the point of taking kids away from football, rather forcing kids to silo and specialize into a single sport.

It is odd. A recipe for losing kids to other districts. However, if you allow it one school might die while Another lives
Oh, I'm sure that's why. I'd be shocked if Osseo allowed it as well.

Agree, in the sense that there aren't clubs and/or year-round (indoor) training facilities for football specific skills and off-season club team practices.

Frankly, not sure why they haven't popped up, like AAU basketball and club volleyball, hockey, baseball, etc etc etc
I wasn't even going for the point of taking kids away from football, rather forcing kids to silo and specialize into a single sport.

There are places like IMG down in Florida, but I don't think they even play full contact year-round.

I agree, the specialization is terrible all around, but I think it hurts football more, because kids that would be multi-sport athletes, including football, now are playing hockey or basketball year-round.

It depends a lot on how full the schools are. Sometimes they like having kids switch high schools if it alleviates crowding at one.

Last edited:

I assume this is MG's first prep bowl? I'm guessing they've always been in sections with Wayzata and/or EP and so rarely even got to the state bracket, before 6A was created.

Good for them. Agree that hopefully it will be a good game with LS.

4A and 5A seem automatic for Hutch and Mahtomedi, same ol same ol for those powerhouses.

Agree there should be a system of "promotion", for programs like that.

40-0 after 3 for Lakeville South. They win 40-14 over STMA. Should be a good final against Maple Grove.
Yeah I was surprised STMA got that far. I think South beats Maple Grove, I’m not sure south could stay within 28 points of last years South team.

Are the 1A games televised this morning?

What makes them those, out of curiosity, in your opinion?

There's obviously pay.

But you can't recruit and you can't pay players. You have to play with what you've got. So I assume you feel these have the most talent in the biggest/best feeder programs?

And what else could there be?
I do think one school districts make is easier to fundraise, upgrade facilities, etc because you don't need to worry about equality with the rest of the district (ie Blaine can't get a stadium upgrade unless Coon Rapids, Anoka, etc get one).

I think districts with growth also have an advantage with more housing availability. Areas like Minnetonka and Edina have no where to grow. Minnetonka has, from what I understand, one of the best youth football programs around though.

I do think one school districts make is easier to fundraise, upgrade facilities, etc because you don't need to worry about equality with the rest of the district (ie Blaine can't get a stadium upgrade unless Coon Rapids, Anoka, etc get one).

I think districts with growth also have an advantage with more housing availability. Areas like Minnetonka and Edina have no where to grow. Minnetonka has, from what I understand, one of the best youth football programs around though.
Also, mplsgopher - obviously pay? I have coached hs football at a few places - all have had a district contracted salary that have all been very similar. I guess some guys could profit off of youth camps, etc but all of the HC I worked with paid us for our time and then put the rest back into the program.

Also, mplsgopher - obviously pay? I have coached hs football at a few places - all have had a district contracted salary that have all been very similar. I guess some guys could profit off of youth camps, etc but all of the HC I worked with paid us for our time and then put the rest back into the program.
There is very little variance in pay

Coaches are either making not much or less than not much with very few exceptions (like the rumors of what Dave Nelson got to go to Minnetonka from Blaine)

Mayer scores in 2 plays from their 7. And then blocked punt for score.

Awesome start

I made an assumption that pay of high school head coach was a variable in the metro.

If that is wrong, that's fine. I trust you on that.

Yeah I was surprised STMA got that far. I think South beats Maple Grove, I’m not sure south could stay within 28 points of last years South team.
Speaking of STMA, they may be the last district that I know of that was carved out of pieces of other districts. It happened in the late 60s when the Legislature decided that all school districts had to be K12 instead of K6 or K8

There has been a lot more consolidation in the other direction.

Speaking of STMA, they may be the last district that I know of that was carved out of pieces of other districts. It happened in the late 60s when the Legislature decided that all school districts had to be K12 instead of K6 or K8

There has been a lot more consolidation in the other direction.

The Hopkins district is some kind of amalgamation of like 10 or 15 smaller districts, I think!

Top Bottom