Minnesota Close to Deal with Rich Pitino

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

high risk, High reward! Like this better than any of the coachs that are left. Hopefully it will be a "home run". Dont see a practice facility getting fast tracked with this hire. It will be a wait and see, I think. If he has success I dont see him staying either. But then we should also be a more attractive hire for the next coach. Hopefully he does well! I would like to be in a situation where everyone is in coach enve. Any body know about his style of play. Hopefully uptempo

I think this was a brilliant hire by Teague. Inspired really. Pitino coached at Florida and under his father and now has head coaching experience. He is a good recruiter from what I can tell.. he just needs a few "Big Ten" savy assistants and we are ready to roll.

Outside of a big name, this is much much much better than a guy like Mack or Grant, etc. Pitino looks to be a coach on the rise..and we get him before he goes to a bigger program. Its a gamble.. but it smacks of Teague (i.e. probably thinks he is smarter than others in the room).

Why the heck not! A young, hard working, good recruiter, with a strong brand! He could easily fall on his face, but I'm willing to take that risk. Also, he's so young that he is not wise enough to know he is coaching against legends in the Big Ten, thus he won't be phased.. :)

I like it the more I think about it, he may be someone who can drive some excitement into us hardcore fans. Of course it's all about results in the end.

True. And it's going to be about recruiting quickly here. I'm excited to see his staff, and who he can bring in. An active coach...thank god. I'm sick of watching Tubby sit in a chair during tense moments in games.

I think this was a brilliant hire by Teague. Inspired really. Pitino coached at Florida and under his father and now has head coaching experience. He is a good recruiter from what I can tell.. he just needs a few "Big Ten" savy assistants and we are ready to roll.

Outside of a big name, this is much much much better than a guy like Mack or Grant, etc. Pitino looks to be a coach on the rise..and we get him before he goes to a bigger program. Its a gamble.. but it smacks of Teague (i.e. probably thinks he is smarter than others in the room).

Why the heck not! A young, hard working, good recruiter, with a strong brand! He could easily fall on his face, but I'm willing to take that risk. Also, he's so young that he is not wise enough to know he is coaching against legends in the Big Ten, thus he won't be phased.. :)

If you're going to roll the dice, this is a good one to roll with!

I'd have taken Pitino over Flip (had that been an option). Way more long-term upside, and he's young, energetic, and people give his coaching high praise.

Tubby finally paying Rick back for his National Championship.

Interesting.

"Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN 3m
My sources: In temperament, personality, younger Pitino more like Billy Donovan than his father."

Well, a Mrs.Pittino was involved too. :)

This hire means a lot of excitement. We're going to see a guy who works his a$$ off, and we'll get kids who play hard.

Yeah, bring in the McNeil kid. We've got enough scholarships available, especially with Ellis decommitting.

Interesting hire and I like it.

He reminds me of Antigua or even Stephens but he has the added bonus of the one amazing year at FIU.

His style is going to draw in recruits, are we the only real up and down Big 10 team? I guess Michigan plays fast, but not Louisville fast. He has experience as a top notch recruiter and he seemed to get the most out of the most beaten up program in the country.

It's a roll of the dice a bit, but I like it.

I'd be up for stealing this kid away from FIU... everyone knows we need a true PG. That might allow Dre to thrive. Let Dre worry about shooting and not bringing the ball up the court.

Seems like McNeil is a shooter too, we could use another guy who can knock down shots.

Best part of what i've read: "tireless worker and stellar recruiter." If true, what a change from the previous regime.

Interesting hire and I like it.

He reminds me of Antigua or even Stephens but he has the added bonus of the one amazing year at FIU.

His style is going to draw in recruits, are we the only real up and down Big 10 team? I guess Michigan plays fast, but not Louisville fast. He has experience as a top notch recruiter and he seemed to get the most out of the most beaten up program in the country.

It's a roll of the dice a bit, but I like it.

The thing I like about the style is that it isn't Enfield up and down, it's up and down because of the defensive pressure. If you watch any highlights or listen to him talk about it, he talks about defensive pressure first. I love that. I'm not sure we have the athletes or the players for it yet, but I'm sure he will bring them in.

HOMERUN! Can't wait for basketball season. A breath of fresh air!

I'm amazed at how well this seems to be going over. I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of buzz at this point.

I'm amazed at how well this seems to be going over. I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of buzz at this point.

If he had been hired the day after Tubby was canned, the response would have been dramatically different.

Love the hire, up and coming coach who is hungry to prove that he is worth getting the job. Excited to see his results in recruiting!

Tubby finally paying Rick back for his National Championship.

Tubby won a national championship with Pitino's recruits. Now a Pitino can win a national championship with Tubby's recruits.

Absolutely correct. Grant got hired in April of 2006 and Teague in July of that year. Sadly, truth does't matter sometimes. See Lou Holtz and his "Notre Dame Clause". :horse:

But in all fairness...Norwood officially started in July but was hired before then. The previous AD brought Norwood in on the process late since he was the one who would ultimately have to work with whomever was hired. But it is true that Norwood didn't make the hiring decision.

Tubby won a national championship with Pitino's recruits. Now a Pitino can win a national championship with Tubby's recruits.

Richard only won with Issiah Thomas's players.

Top Bottom