Minnesota Close to Deal with Rich Pitino

Doug

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota's closely watched search for a head basketball coach may finally be over.

ESPN reported on Wednesday afternoon the Gophers were close to finalizing a deal with Richard Pitino, son of legendary coach Rick Pitino and currently head coach at Florida International.

The Associated Press reported the sides are in "advanced talks."

Hired by Florida International in April 2012, Pitino led the Golden Panthers to their first winning record in 13 years, despite inheriting a roster with only three scholarship players.

Pitino, 30, was an assistant at Florida under coach Billy Donovan from 2009 to '11. Donovan and Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague have a close relationship.

While working as Virginia Commonwealth's athletic director, Teague hired two of Donovan's assistants to head up the men's basketball program -- Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart.

Pitino was also an assistant for his father at Louisville from 2007 to '09 and then for another season in 2011.

The Gophers have remained silent about the progress of their search since it began on March 25 after the firing of coach Tubby Smith after six seasons.

Numerous names have entered and exited the discussion of candidates, including VCU's Shaka Smart, Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg and Gophers alum and former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders.

Marquette's Buzz Williams, Michigan State associate head coach Dwayne Stephens and Baylor's Scott Drew are among the coaches that remain potential candidates.

The search is now in its ninth day. A Gophers booster told KSTP and 1500ESPN's Darren Wolfson on Tuesday to expect a hire by the end of the week.

via http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Report_Florida_Internationals_Rich_Pitino_being_targeted_by_Gophers040313

Does anyone know what recruits he could potentially bring with him?

I can't believe he could have recruited anyone at FIU that would be B1G caliber players. This potential hire will certainly make news, and at least grab some recruits attention for a bit and get him in the door.

Put me in the "I will believe when I see" category.

Not sure about the recruits question but word down here is that they are basically hammering out the exact money details. Back and forth with R.P. agent. Should be done by days end unless they hit an impasse.

He has an ESPN top 100 player committed in Daquein McNeil from Maryland. Kid had offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Richmond, Rutgers, VCU and Washington.

Wikipedia has him listed as the head coach already lol.

Norwood Teague did NOT freaking hire Anthony Grant! Everyone keeps publishing this, but it's not true!

He has an ESPN top 100 player committed in Daquein McNeil from Maryland. Kid had offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Richmond, Rutgers, VCU and Washington.

So can we count on getting leftovers from his father? Works for me.

I can't believe he could have recruited anyone at FIU that would be B1G caliber players. This potential hire will certainly make news, and at least grab some recruits attention for a bit and get him in the door.

Put me in the "I will believe when I see" category.

I'd agree that he probably didn't land any recruits we'd want, but he might have been trying to recruit some.

"Advanced talks"...wonder if NT has told him who his assistants will be yet? Might not be over yet.

I'll take him.

The offers are real, but I gotta think that the top 100 is a typo. He's the number 92 point guard and a two star according to espn.

I hadn't thought about him before, the more I look at it, this could be an absolute homerun hire. with the actual in game coaching (i had just about forgotten what that looks like) he had to do to get FIU to 18 wins last year is incredible. Make sure he has a legit recruiter on his staff and I am excited. I think that he would have been one of the top names next year and we will probably save a little bit of money on his first contract.

I'm okay with this hire if true. Young, tons of upside, and his last name does bring some instant credibility. Not to mention he didn't just work with his dad. He worked with other top coaches in the business and learned from them as well as his dad. This is his opportunity to establish himself as a major college coach outside of his father's shadow and I suspect if he's the guy he'll make the most of it.

Interesting.

Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN 3m
My sources: In temperament, personality, younger Pitino more like Billy Donovan than his father.

For those asking about recruiting:

@JBBauer612: (Via @LateNightHoops) New #Gophers HC Richard Pitino could quickly deliver a star PF to Minnesota: http://t.co/gPXQxni6ve

So will our first game with Louisville be home or away?

Norwood Teague did NOT freaking hire Anthony Grant! Everyone keeps publishing this, but it's not true!

Absolutely correct. Grant got hired in April of 2006 and Teague in July of that year. Sadly, truth does't matter sometimes. See Lou Holtz and his "Notre Dame Clause". :horse:

Top Bottom