Mike Sanford hired as OC @ Colorado (who apparently have no idea what they are doing)

This one is good.

"So help me God CU better have a new HC this time next year. No way CU wins more than 2-3 games."

Or this
"Anytime you can grab the guy who ran the 98th best offense in FBS you pretty much have to do it."
🤣
One of my favorites:
Yep…this was a BIG splash…like water from the toilet after dropping a no. 2.

Or this one:
I logged off for a couple hours so I could gather my thoughts and really look at this hire with a clear head. When I took the time to really dig in to Sanford’s history as an OC, I realized this hire isn’t as bad as I initially thought. In fact it’s much worse, he blows massive chunks.

Really gotta feel for them.

Yes, the Colorado football board seems very astute, I’m impressed. They are universally against the hire. Amazing these head coaches keep hiring this guy as an OC. Sounds like their program is in the abyss.

One more interesting find from the CU board. Read all the replies in this tweet. It really lays out what an offensive/QB poison pill Sanford has been throughout his entire career. Truly perplexing how he keeps advancing/succeeding. Dude will be a high school coach in 5 years.

Since he left Stanford after 2013, and if we included 2022 Colorado, he's been employed at 6 different schools in 9 seasons.

One more interesting find from the CU board. Read all the replies in this tweet. It really lays out what an offensive/QB poison pill Sanford has been throughout his entire career. Truly perplexing how he keeps advancing/succeeding. Dude will be a high school coach in 5 years.

That guy's final Tweet thread summary is a gem.
tweet eric gooden.png

So do we start a thread about the over/under of a 13.5 win season next year? I'm going over.

The way Teflon Mike’s career has gone, I fully expect him to be head coach at Alabama in five years.

Brendon Lewis might be better off opting to go play intramurals, brotha.

Well, either Sanford has major dirt on a lot of head coaches and AD's - (remember that coaches' convention in '17 where you wound up in that room with the teenage girls......I've got pictures......) - or he is the greatest freakin' interview in the history of mankind.

On paper, it doesn't seem to make sense- unless these schools are doing no digging on his actual performance and are hiring him strictly on his resume.

Well, we'll see what happens. it will be an interesting angle to the 2022 season, along with watching how Kill does at NMexSt.

Re-watched the Outback Bowl after the basketball game the other night. It was a bit hard to tell because they edit between plays, but I'm pretty sure they weren't checking most of the time. And they usually snapped the ball with 15 seconds or so on the play clock. Nothing like with Sanford.
That's a Fleck thing. People bitched about it all the way through 2019 as well.

So glad he's someone else's problem now...

But seriously... How does he keep getting the power 5 jobs

Any chance their QB is Zack Annexstad in that return game?

Oh, to all of the people who think RUTM is over. Fans have been complaining about us running up the middle with every OC we've ever had. I'm guessing all of the running was the coach's call and I would expect quite a bit of it next year.

Where Sanford had control (and where he failed) was building a passing game to compliment our productive power running game.

Expect to see a lot of RUTM next year.

"You're a g#dd@m genius... @WKU Hire this man!"

Last edited:

That's a Fleck thing. People bitched about it all the way through 2019 as well.
Honestly, I think he fails at the right places at the right times

Our offense wasn't horrible last year. The Notre Dame, Boise State, and Utah State offenses weren't horrible. He made all of them worse but if you looked at his resume in a vacuum, it wouldn't look horrid.

The strangest hire of his career was Utah State to MN. That's a big jump for an OC who didn't light the world on fire.

I'm kind of a fan of it. Ciarocca used to use it to check to Bateman in single coverage and it just tore defenses apart.
Several long runs were adjusted to outside zones as well (probably from inside zone).

When it doesn't work, it looks clunky, when it does work, we don't even notice.

He’s right. Thinking back I think we hit rock bottom here when even the biggest homers were saying “well, it could be worse” (paraphrasing). That’s about as grim an assessment as one can receive from some. This is a sickness, an addiction.

Any chance their QB is Zack Annexstad in that return game?

Oh, to all of the people who think RUTM is over. Fans have been complaining about us running up the middle with every OC we've ever had. I'm guessing all of the running was the coach's call and I would expect quite a bit of it next year.

Where Sanford had control (and where he failed) was building a passing game to compliment our productive power running game.

Expect to see a lot of RUTM next year.
I don’t even understand the RUTM thing. Is that just for people the want to complain any time a run between the tackles gets stuffed? I seem to recall it starting during the Kill era, I also seem to recall the deep pass being a foreign concept under Kill.

I don’t even understand the RUTM thing. Is that just for people the want to complain any time a run between the tackles gets stuffed? I seem to recall it starting during the Kill era, I also seem to recall the deep pass being a foreign concept under Kill.
Yes, every time a run doesn't work some people complain about RUTM. Oddly enough, this is true even for like outside zones.

If a run doesn't work, it was a stupid call.

Top Bottom