Mike Sanford Fired

If Sanford was such a bad fit, I wonder why Fleck hired him in the first place. Hope he does a better job of vetting the replacement.
Maybe Fleck took advice of some older colleagues he trusts instead of going the friebd route he previously did. Fleck seems to be a big member of that football coaches organization

If Sanford was such a bad fit, I wonder why Fleck hired him in the first place. Hope he does a better job of vetting the replacement.
I think Fleck hired him to bring something more X’s and O’s In the longer passing game: the vibe I get is that sanford is a good coaches room X and Os guy but a bad teacher. Kind of the same problem as the guy rossi replace who I can’t think of his name right now

Word leaking out that Simon has been promoted to OC. Not sure if permanent or interim yet.
Ironically he was "interim OC" for the Auburn game wasn't he? I thought so because I thought it odd that Sanford then got the job.

I think Fleck hired him to bring something more X’s and O’s In the longer passing game: the vibe I get is that sanford is a good coaches room X and Os guy but a bad teacher. Kind of the same problem as the guy rossi replace who I can’t think of his name right now
Robb Smith.

It is believed he called an overly complex defense and his players had to spend too much time thinking instead of reading/reacting/making plays

If Simon takes over I think we good! He called a hell of a game against Auburn! And if it was him calling past two games we will be in good hands

will be interesting if it's an outside guy. Would be a 3rd coordinator for TM2 and we all saw the wonders the rotating coordinators did for Weber back in the day. agree with others that if there was someone else calling plays the last 3 games, have to imagine they're the one getting the nod

I'm surprised. I know I wrote in another thread that I thought the Wisconsin win saved him. Looking at the whole body of work, a change is warranted, but I thought he would another year, especially with the current starting QB returning. No doubt the Bowling Green and Illinois games played a huge role in the decision. Have to make adjustments when you're facing +1 and +2 in the box and that can't all be on the QB.

Robb Smith.

It is believed he called an overly complex defense and his players had to spend too much time thinking instead of reading/reacting/making plays
He also called a lot of NFL type of defenses that only even make sense in theory if you have NFL caliber players. Sanford did a bit of this with his route trees too.

Right. Very possible that Morgan coming back was contingent on not having to deal with a brand new offense/scheme.

Maybe Fleck took advice of some older colleagues he trusts instead of going the friebd route he previously did. Fleck seems to be a big member of that football coaches organization
Hopefully he doesn't trust those colleagues as much than (unless they were the same ones that steered him to Rossi).

Also I should say I am fine with the decision especially now the season is completed, if he feels it's not a situation that can improve then now is the time to cut bait. It's after a full season plus a couple of springs and the abbreviated 2020 season.

will be interesting if it's an outside guy. Would be a 3rd coordinator for TM2 and we all saw the wonders the rotating coordinators did for Weber back in the day. agree with others that if there was someone else calling plays the last 3 games, have to imagine they're the one getting the nod
Weber it was more than just new OC, it was complete change in style

went from spread concept, to pro concepts, etc

Fleck will get an OC that follows overall same style and philisophy

Just like Smith to Rossi Switched. Rossi didn't reinvent the defense...

I'm surprised. I know I wrote in another thread that I thought the Wisconsin win saved him. Looking at the whole body of work, a change is warranted, but I thought he would another year, especially with the current starting QB returning. No doubt the Bowling Green and Illinois games played a huge role in the decision. Have to make adjustments when you're facing +1 and +2 in the box and that can't all be on the QB.
If he was doing a majority if the play calling, he may not have been.

Ironically he was "interim OC" for the Auburn game wasn't he? I thought so because I thought it odd that Sanford then got the job.
My guess is Fleck didn't think Simon was quite ready and maybe thought Sanford would help with recruiting more. Who knows though. I know Simon was interested in the job.

Kind of surprised by this. Most everyone seems high on Simon, any particular reasons? I honestly have 0 info about him (I don't follow asst coaches much). Just the Auburn game? Not saying good or bad, just interesting that many want him promoted. I always find it a bit weird when a guy gets fired and his assistant moves up.

Overall I cant say I hate it, our rushing attack was pretty salty but that passing game needs work.

Top Bottom