Mike Leach has passed away

RIP, coach...you made college football much more entertaining. You'll be missed by many.

Reactions: KGF

Did he have a blockage, or was it some other kind of heart ailment? Reason I ask is I believe the reports said they used a defibrillator to get his heart back in sync?

Whatever it was, this sucks. One of my favorite coaches. Clearly cut from the "I'm not for everyone" mold.

Absolutely, just an incredibly unique character.

I played against his team in college in the playoffs when the Air Raid was just being born, when he was working with Hal Mumme to develop the offense, even though he was a Def Coordinator at the time.

Very sad news to hear, an incredible football coach, an incredibly honest person, and unique individual, definitely as you said, not for everyone.

Reactions: KGF

RIP.. I wanted him here at one point. Would have been a blast.
Me too!! They could have had him after Brewster left but he was too controversial for the powers that be and they went with Kill. I do not feel at all bad with the Kill hire but Leach would have been very interesting here. I think he would have been very successful here!

Did he have a blockage, or was it some other kind of heart ailment? Reason I ask is I believe the reports said they used a defibrillator to get his heart back in sync?
Great question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer. Could it have been "run away" tachycardia? Other rhythm related issue?

Donating your organs, eyes etc. is a very simple act that everyone can do. Yet many people don't do it for selfish reasons that don't make sense at all. I commend Leach for taking that simple step as he won't need them anymore and will benefit others through his gift.

Meanwhile may the peace of the Lord be with his family at this time.

Total innovative mind. One of the very few high level football coaches to never play college football; maybe freeing him from the existing coaching dogma. I could be wrong, but I recall his early Texas Tech years as being the first to implement the modern "air raid" type spread offense that eschewed time of possession in favor of increasing the number of offensive plays. How many teams have we seen implement those tactics since then?

Side note: I always wondered if his fast moving air raid offenses hurt his defenses as much as it helped his offenses given that he never coached at a helmet school defensive player depth-factory.

Last edited:

Donating your organs, eyes etc. is a very simple act that everyone can do. Yet many people don't do it for selfish reasons that don't make sense at all. I commend Leach for taking that simple step as he won't need them anymore and will benefit others through his gift.

Meanwhile may the peace of the Lord be with his family at this time.

A quick search gives numbers between 54-60% of Americans being organ donors. Higher than I thought it'd be....but I agree with you. Number should be even higher. Don't understand the selfish reasoning behind wanting your potentially life saving organs to rot when you no longer need them.

Total innovative mind. One of the very few high level football coaches to never play college football; maybe freeing him from the existing coaching dogma. I could be wrong, but I recall his early Texas Tech years as being the first to implement the modern "air raid" type spread offense that eschewed time of possession in favor of increasing the number of offensive plays. How many teams have we seen implement those tactics since then?

Side note: I always wondered if his fast moving air raid offenses hurt his defenses as much as it helped his offenses given that he never coached at a helmet school defensive player-depth factory.
My understanding is that Hal Mumme is considered the father of the air raid. Leach coached under Mumme at a few spots, most notably Kentucky. Leach may have coined the name. Leach then took the offense to Oklahoma where he was OC before getting the HC job at Texas Tech.

A quick search gives numbers between 54-60% of Americans being organ donors. Higher than I thought it'd be....but I agree with you. Number should be even higher. Don't understand the selfish reasoning behind wanting your potentially life saving organs to rot when you no longer need
A quick search gives numbers between 54-60% of Americans being organ donors. Higher than I thought it'd be....but I agree with you. Number should be even higher. Don't understand the selfish reasoning behind wanting your potentially life saving organs to rot when you no longer need them.
Agreed. This is why it is so important to make sure you have an advance healthcare directive or living will. Having been in a position many times of informing a family that their loved one is dead that is an extremely sensitive time to ask for organ donation. The living will is a legal document that ensures the organ donations will be honored. It’s a simple process that can save many other lives.

RIP Leach.

Always found it quite a unique coincidence that both Mason and Claeys last games as Gophers HC were both against Leach, in Bowl Games no less. Not very common to be let go after Bowl Games to begin with.

Side note, reports are there Jan 2 Bowl Game vs Illinois will be played.

RIP Coach Leach.

I blocked off some time this morning to watch him talk about mascot fights, getting married, and Halloween candy.

One of my favorite short ones is below.

RIP Coach Leach.

I blocked off some time this morning to watch him talk about mascot fights, getting married, and Halloween candy.

One of my favorite short ones is below.

I think that's the same sideline reporter that had Leach giving marriage advice. Classic. Kudos to her.

It's too bad he couldn't live to retire on his own timing, buy a ranch in montana or something and do youtube videos about whatever goes through his mind. He had a gift to entertain for sure.

Sat next to his sister (he apparently had a lot of them) and nephew (had even more to them) on the train in San Diego for Claes" last game. They told me that their family was from Cody, WY IIRC. I will always remember him saying, "there is nothing healthy about being a college football coach." I think that he was talking about lack of sleep, eating on the fly, etc., all on top of the need to win.

Top Bottom