Mike Leach has passed away

Heart attack? What happened?

I keep checking for updates. Always liked Coach Leach, he did things his own way and always kept football fun.

Miss State used vague terms like a "personal health issue" - hoping for the best. I don't know why, but my initial gut feeling was a suicide. I hope I am wrong.

"Leach, in his third season as Mississippi State's coach, told ESPN after the regular season concluded that he struggled with pneumonia during the season but that he was feeling better."

That's the closet I've seen to an explanation of what Leach could be dealing with.

Hope he gets through whatever it is.

"Leach, in his third season as Mississippi State's coach, told ESPN after the regular season concluded that he struggled with pneumonia during the season but that he was feeling better."

That's the closet I've seen to an explanation of what Leach could be dealing with.

It was pretty strongly believed that this might be his last season coaching because of his health. Not sure anyone expected him to go this quickly though. Really hoping all the rumors are exaggerated, but it sounds pretty bad.

I noticed he was often clearing his throat when speaking this season. Hoping for the best.

Several years ago when he was still with Washington State, Leach had a great long form documentary style interview with a TV reporter. I can't remember who or when. Part of the story was that Leach started walking several miles from home to campus/work and back every single day. If I recall correctly, he started doing that for health reasons (probably heart health issues but I can't remember) but also found it cathartic mentally. I found that really interesting, but am guessing the health issues were telling.

Several years ago when he was still with Washington State, Leach had a great long form documentary style interview with a TV reporter. I can't remember who or when. Part of the story was that Leach started walking several miles from home to campus/work and back every single day. If I recall correctly, he started doing that for health reasons (probably heart health issues but I can't remember) but also found it cathartic mentally. I found that really interesting, but am guessing the health issues were telling.
I think you are referring to this:

The 24/7 college football documentaries were awesome. I hope they do it again. I would love to watch more. In 2019 they did Washington State, Arizona State, Florida, and Penn State. The Penn State episode in particular was interesting for Gopher fans as PSU came across as an unbeatable juggernaut, just a couple weeks prior to their loss in Minneapolis. The Washington State episode was my second favorite (but all four were good).

Terrible news. Hoping for the best.

From what I've read others *guessing*: that there hasn't already been an announcement of his passing, probably points more to a stroke. Body is still alive, and can be kept alive indefinitely by machines, but he will never wake up.

Hope that is not true!!

Septic shock or sepsis. If he had chronic bacterial pneumonia because he always aspirated due to an inverted epiglottis and antibiotics didn't "fix" the problem his body may have started to shut down. Requires immediate ICU care with a poor prognosis. My wife passed away in 2018 due to the condition.

Massive heart attack reported. Paramedics got heart rhythm back but apparently seizures followed with the possibility of brain damage.

Reported by the Mississippi Clarion Ledger.

Mississippi State football coach Mike Leach had a massive heart attack on Sunday in Starkville and was transferred to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he is still being cared for on Monday.

According to multiple sources, Leach, 61, collapsed at his home in Starkville, but did not receive medical attention for between 10 to 15 minutes. EMTs used a defibrillator machine and delivered multiple shocks to restore normal heart rhythm.

After he was stabilized at Oktibbeha County Hospital, he was transported by helicopter to UMMC.

Sources said two of four his children are already in Jackson with the other two en route.

It appears, according to sources, that Leach may have suffered seizures with the possibility of brain damage. Sources said the situation is dire, and MSU said Leach was in "critical condition" in a statement Monday..

I keep checking for updates. Always liked Coach Leach, he did things his own way and always kept football fun.

Miss State used vague terms like a "personal health issue" - hoping for the best. I don't know why, but my initial gut feeling was a suicide. I hope I am wrong.
It is being reported as a heart attack. Not sure if that makes me feel better vs. my initial gut feeling but either way pulling for Coach Leach.

MSU's 247 guy says he has been moved to essentially hospice care at this point. Probably won't hear any updates from now until the family announces something, likely his passing.

I thought this when I heard Leach went for some time without breathing (oxygen) but didn't want to post prematurely. Sad. I had a close family member that had a sudden heart attack with a gap in time before resuscitation. She never regained consciousness but was kept alive on a machine for a few days.

In the end, if you're gonna go, it's not a bad way to go; much better than long drawn-out painful alternatives (I know. Morbid). Peace to the family.

Top Bottom