Michael Rand: Updating the Gophers AD search

Just read Marc Trestman's history. The Man is an attorney. He won't be pushed around by Title IX coaches or non-revenue sport coaches when it comes to contract extensions and salary negotiations. I never thought Marc Trestman was the right man to coach the Gopher Football Program...but, he IS a football man and he has a LOT to offer as a potential athletic director.

How do you know some "no-name" bean counter is going to be a decent ad? The answer is: you don't. How can you support some no name prexy k might get stuck with? The answer is: you won't know until it is WAY too late. Bring in a football guy to be the FACE of the athletic department. Then hire a lot of bean counters, advertising executives and anybody else you may want. BUT, your "FACE" man needs to have some smarts and some clout. Marc Trestman is an attorney who will stand up to his staff...his coaches...and will be FAR superior to the failed macturi.

Trestman is an atty: he knows a cash cow when he sees a cash cow and he knows what to do with cash cows...don't worry about that bemidjigopher...

; 0 )

Either Trestman is the baddest hombre this side of Chuck Norris, or wren has been watching too many Boston Legal re-runs.

Sorry, I didn't catch your name...could you please repeat it or say it differently so that I could hear it and call you by your name...otherwise I'd have to ask you your name later...and I think it is so much better to be on a first name basis...you can just call me i m...

...(Did you call yourself) "...to be..." or was it not "...to be..." yet? it's just so difficult to carry on a conversation when you haven't formally introduced yourself by name (and probably won't) until some time in the future...Catch you later...

; 0 )

Feel free to answer the question.

Prexy K better consult with and get the blessing of a certain former punter before he offers the position!

Someone from without ties to Minnesota is just as capable at understanding these key points (or the importance of football) as any "Minnesota" candidate would be.

So what you are saying is if two candidates are equal and one has Minnesota ties, you just ignore the Minnesota connection?

Just curious.

BTW Maturi had Minnesota connections. He is from Northern Minnesota. With that said, I more than get it that someone who never lived in Minnesota/ Never had ties to the U could be a great AD for the U. I just hope that the selection committee looks for an AD that thouroughly understands the Big 10, Minnesota and the importance of being competitive with rivals.

So what you are saying is if two candidates are equal and one has Minnesota ties, you just ignore the Minnesota connection?

Just curious.

BTW Maturi had Minnesota connections. He is from Northern Minnesota. With that said, I more than get it that someone who never lived in Minnesota/ Never had ties to the U could be a great AD for the U. I just hope that the selection committee looks for an AD that thouroughly understands the Big 10, Minnesota and the importance of being competitive with rivals.

I'd be more concerned with who had a better teeth.

Feel free to answer the question.

Is it "later enough yet..." for you to have been named? Be considerate enough to at least announce your name before you start expecting me to answer your question. I don't respond to people who are not considerate...especially if they still aren't named... Remember... i m the walrus...who the heck do you think you are?

; 0 )

Marc Trestman would be the very best man for the job UNLESS Flip Saunders were to suddenly express an interest in the job. Hire either Marc Trestman OR Flip Saunders, prexy k. IF you hired Flip as the AD, just in case the Hoops coaches of either the Men's or Women's hoops programs didn't win enough Big Ten games to qualify for their respective NCAA Tourney, Flip could fire that coach, buy them out and take over the program himsef. Flip would NOT flop as the Golden Gopher AD. In fact, he could be the only candidate who really GETS that football has to come first who could coach both the Men's and Women's hoops teams at the same time...

; 0 )

That being said, I believe that Marc Trestman may still be the best candidate for the AD position. It all depends upon prexy k and what HE wants the face of the athletic department to be. Some of you appear to feel that prexy k is NOT a "flip-flopper..." and some of you feel he has already decided upon the AD from stoned brook. It might be, I suppose. Still the name Marc Trestman really rings a bell with football people. And the very mention of Flip as the AD would tell me that prexy k really does have a clue about what the next head of the athletic department needs to be like. Flip does "get it..." that the new AD really does have to place FOOTBALL as the top priority for this AD position. With Marc Trestman this is clear. With Flip, upon first glance it may be a bit less clear. But Flip sees the need for football to lead the way out of the wilderness! Disco Darin IS a football guy who has been stuck in a BAD situation by having been forced to deal with olympic-type sports programs at Stanford. He KNOWS that it is ALL about football! Bob Stein...Glen Mason...Tony Dungey...Don Shelby...Mark Dienhart...Tom Moe...and a HOST of other potential candidates ALL know that it MUST be FOOTBALL FIRST within the Athletics Department at the University of Minnesota! And THAT is a very good thing! No matter who the candidate is: FOOTBALL needs to be the DRIVING force behind the every move that the AD at the University of Minnesota makes...even if prexy k goes with the ad from stoned brook...

Have fun...back who you want...but realize and accept the fact that unless football comes first within the entire athletic department..our revenue sports programs are pretty much stuck on dead center right where they currently are. This is especially true of football and men's hoops.

; 0 )

Marc Trestman would be the very best man for the job UNLESS Flip Saunders were to suddenly express an interest in the job. Hire either Marc Trestman OR Flip Saunders, prexy k. IF you hired Flip as the AD, just in case the Hoops coaches of either the Men's or Women's hoops programs didn't win enough Big Ten games to qualify for their respective NCAA Tourney, Flip could fire that coach, buy them out and take over the program himsef. Flip would NOT flop as the Golden Gopher AD. In fact, he could be the only candidate who really GETS that football has to come first who could coach both the Men's and Women's hoops teams at the same time...

; 0 )

That being said, I believe that Marc Trestman may still be the best candidate for the AD position. It all depends upon prexy k and what HE wants the face of the athletic department to be. Some of you appear to feel that prexy k is NOT a "flip-flopper..." and some of you feel he has already decided upon the AD from stoned brook. It might be, I suppose. Still the name Marc Trestman really rings a bell with football people. And the very mention of Flip as the AD would tell me that prexy k really does have a clue about what the next head of the athletic department needs to be like. Flip does "get it..." that the new AD really does have to place FOOTBALL as the top priority for this AD position. With Marc Trestman this is clear. With Flip, upon first glance it may be a bit less clear. But Flip sees the need for football to lead the way out of the wilderness! Disco Darin IS a football guy who has been stuck in a BAD situation by having been forced to deal with olympic-type sports programs at Stanford. He KNOWS that it is ALL about football! Bob Stein...Glen Mason...Tony Dungey...Don Shelby...Mark Dienhart...Tom Moe...and a HOST of other potential candidates ALL know that it MUST be FOOTBALL FIRST within the Athletics Department at the University of Minnesota! And THAT is a very good thing! No matter who the candidate is: FOOTBALL needs to be the DRIVING force behind the every move that the AD at the University of Minnesota makes...even if prexy k goes with the ad from stoned brook...

Have fun...back who you want...but realize and accept the fact that unless football comes first within the entire athletic department..our revenue sports programs are pretty much stuck on dead center right where they currently are. This is especially true of football and men's hoops.

; 0 )

Ok, Wren, I'll bite. You are out of your mind, but at least you are entertaining.

You clearly think that Trestman should have been the football coach, which is pretty ridiculous in its own right, but where is the AD talk coming from? How is this guy even remotely qualified to be a B1G AD? His connection to the U doesn't even hold any weight because he is a Minnesota STATE graduate and transferred from the U. Heck, maybe if Leston Simpson goes on to coach in Canada, he can become the AD also.

As for Flip, are you serious about him taking over the basketball program after becoming AD? I have no problem with Flip being the coach, and, frankly, I have no idea about his qualifications as AD (though I am dubious at best). But to suggest that a sitting AD would make himself the head basketball coach is completely asinine.

Keep up the great posts, buddy. You always keep me laughing.

Is it "later enough yet..." for you to have been named? Be considerate enough to at least announce your name before you start expecting me to answer your question. I don't respond to people who are not considerate...especially if they still aren't named... Remember... i m the walrus...who the heck do you think you are?

; 0 )

Yes wren - we all know you are the walrus - our attention seeking resident idiot or also know as the babbler.

Just curious.

So you hope that the search committee is doing what a search committee is supposed to do? :confused:

Just curious.

No, I'm simply saying that there is no reason to consider unqualified "Minnesota" options because of considerations like "they get the importance of our rivalries" or "they care deeply about making Minnesota's programs into the best". Any candidate is just as capable of both, especially the latter. The former is as simple as teaching a new AD the details of our specific rivalries...if they've ever been at a school with rivalries of it's own then the concept of their importance and the "hatred" of a rival is something they'll get implicitly.

FWIW, the idea of "two candidates as being equal" is prob pretty pointless one IMO. I've said it before too, but upon reflection it's kind of a meaningless thing to say. The chances that any two candidates are approximately equal is small. Equally liked? Sure. But actually equal in terms of their personality, skills, experience, etc? If anything, it's more likely that the search committee ends up with 2-4 candidates that differ in several key ways (be they background, personality, skills, etc) and it will be those differences that drive the decision (i.e. what combination of qualities/factors does the committee and Kaler think will result in the best results for Minnesota?). "Ties to Minnesota" are simply one of the qualities in a wide and varied list.

Lou Holtz?

Can Lou Holtz be pursueded to take over as AD to give it credibility? He would give these unmatched strengths to the table:
1) Fundraising unparelled for football,basketball,hockey,etc...
2) Put Minnesota on the National map and put into prominance
He would be bigger than any of the coaches and can demand that President Kaler does indeed prioritize Football Program (money-maker) as #1
3) He is indeed a "FOOTBALL GUY" !!
He has won a National championship --- he has proven himself -- this job won' be a stepping stone for him.
He would be the best man I can think of.

; 0 )

; 0 )

Can Lou Holtz be pursueded to take over as AD to give it credibility? He would give these unmatched strengths to the table:
He would be bigger than any of the coaches and can demand that President Kaler does indeed prioritize Football Program (money-maker) as #1
He has won a National championship --- he has proven himself -- this job won' be a stepping stone for him.
Ok, I'm going to hope for sarcasm here.

:banghead:

What about Mike Grant?

Ok, I'm going to hope for sarcasm here.

Did you notice that he attached one of wren's never ending series of comments on Mark Tressman for AD with his comment. Therefore I think we can safely assume it is sarcasm. On the other hand he may be trying to move into wren's territory where no other man has gone.

Did you notice that he attached one of wren's never ending series of comments on Mark Tressman for AD with his comment. Therefore I think we can safely assume it is sarcasm. On the other hand he may be trying to move into wren's territory where no other man has gone.

That's the exact move that made me hopeful for sarcasm. :)

Well, Uffda, you do make a strong case for lou hoax to be considered as a candidate for the AD position. Since I could never support Marc Trestman as a candidate for the Gopher Football coaching position, I have been delighted to be able to endorse him as an AD candidate. However, your arguments about hoax Do easily catch my attention. We NEED a FOOTBALL guy and he IS Mr. Football! He also would command a lot of attention on the speaker circuit...and could be a great fund-raiser. We really don't need a lot more from the FACE of the program. He can hire peons to handle the olympic sports...non-revenue sports and the accounting issues. IF he gets the cash flowing in, the bean counters can split it into the various pots that it will be wasted in on the non-revenue sports programs.

Hoax was a great idea...do you have any OTHER suggestions to help round out the slate of "DREAM TEAM AD CANDIDATES? Keep the suggestions coming. At least you "GET IT..." when thinking about the kind of candidates we need for this position...

; 0 )

:banghead:

What about Mike Grant?

Yes, Mike Grant would be another FOOTBALL GUY! Wow, TCF=UnitedWeStand! You GET IT! And Mike Grant probably deals with the 2nd largest Amature FOOTBALL budget in the state of Minnesota out at EPHS. That dude from stoned brook doesn't stand up very well to slate of candidates we are coming up with here on GH!

Do you have any other suggestions?

; 0 )

Sorry boys and girls, the only real candidate is Mr. Adam Weber. He would clearly understand that FOOTBALL is the main priority so would prioritize FOOTBALL. Also, he showed his obvious devotion to the U of M when he stuck it through the reign of that Brewster-fella, that you all DESERVED for getting rid of the saint Glen Mason. Hopefully prexy k will see that this is the only REAL option to prioritize FOOTBALL.

; 0 )

zambam

I have only one thing to say to you about your great post above:

; 0 )

Bob Nielsen?

WOW, I have heard that name a time for two before. NC Football Coach. AD at UMD. NC NCAA Hockey under his tenure as AD @ UMD. FOOTBALL...FOOTBALL...HOCKEY...HOCKEY...REVENUE SPORTS...REVENUE SPORTS...REVENUE SPORTS!

Pound these names home to prexy k's search committee and the head-hunter firm from deep in the south-land. Marc Trestman...Flip Saunders...Lou Hoax...Glen Mason...Bob Stein...disco Darin Nelson...Mike Grant...Bob Nielsel... These ARE Football Guys! (with the exception of Flip Saunders...BUT...in case he should have to fire any basketball coaches...men's or womens, he would be capable of taking over the hoops coaching duties. THAT could be a huge money saver and that money could be used to build up the Football Program! FOOTBALL...FOOTBALL...FOOTBALL. That's what we want...that's what we need. This is the football board...and IF we don't back football here we won't back football anywhere.

Marc Trestman wasn't the right man for the football coaching job...BUT...he could be the man for the AD job!

; 0 )

Who forgot to tell wren to take his drugs?

Until he does can we put him on medical leave from this board?

My advice to "prexy k" is to follow the golden rule of GH: do the opposite of what Wren says to do.

I say WIN a LOT of Big Ten Football games zambammerthankyouman. THAT'S what needs to happen here. I don't think you are very "main stream" Gopher Hole IF you don't want the Gophers to win a heck of a lot of Big Ten Football Games....but...do your thing...

; 0 )

Top Bottom