Michael Rand: Updating the Gophers AD search

Killjoy said:
I know that when Glen let wren carry his suitcase for him wren couldn't say enough good things about Glen. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same reason that wren seems to be so enthralled with Trestman. On the other hand he may just be a Trestman apologist.:rolleyes:
Killjoy - Im not sure if Trestman is the man, but I do agree with Wren that we need more attention to the cash cow sports - football and hoops.

Killjoy - Im not sure if Trestman is the man, but I do agree with Wren that we need more attention to the cash cow sports - football and hoops.

I have no problem if the AD is a football man. My problem is with somebody else and I am not talking about Trestman.:)

The point was/ is if all else is equal. My main point is we need a person that understands rivalries and the importance of returning Minnesota's sports programs to amongst the nations best.

Someone from without ties to Minnesota is just as capable at understanding these key points (or the importance of football) as any "Minnesota" candidate would be.

As in "Jerry Kill".

Killjoy said:
Do you need to always rant about something or are you just an idiot? Get a life!

You should probably follow your own advise about getting a life. You follow wren around in every thread and respond to all of his posts. You are not going to get him banned, period. You only fuel the flames and you are your own worst enemy, just not very smart.

How is Marc Trestman qualified to be a B1G AD. I could see him being a candidate for coaching a cfb team, but how does guy who coached in the CFL who stomped for the U job and didn't even get an interview qualify to be an AD. How does coaching football french canada give you the business savy to get doanations from prominent alums? This isn't an era where a former jock can be AD anymore major d-1 sports are a business and you need someone who is business savy. The fact that football and basketball are your cash cows is AD 101, heck at the U hockey considered a revenue sport, that's a huge advantage if you get the right person in here.

How is Marc Trestman qualified to be a B1G AD. I could see him being a candidate for coaching a cfb team, but how does guy who coached in the CFL who stomped for the U job and didn't even get an interview qualify to be an AD. How does coaching football french canada give you the business savy to get doanations from prominent alums? This isn't an era where a former jock can be AD anymore major d-1 sports are a business and you need someone who is business savy. The fact that football and basketball are your cash cows is AD 101, heck at the U hockey considered a revenue sport, that's a huge advantage if you get the right person in here.

http://www.allcoachnetwork.com/trestman/bio.html

How was badger joel qualified to be a B1G AD? How is Barry Alvarez qualified to be a B1G AD? Did we get the wrong badger dude/dudette as our ad for the past ten seasons? How is b(s)jm qualified to be kept on board for a half a million bucks to break in the new AD and show him the ropes when b(s)jm was constantly ON THE ROPES himself?

Just read Marc Trestman's history. The Man is an attorney. He won't be pushed around by Title IX coaches or non-revenue sport coaches when it comes to contract extensions and salary negotiations. I never thought Marc Trestman was the right man to coach the Gopher Football Program...but, he IS a football man and he has a LOT to offer as a potential athletic director.

How do you know some "no-name" bean counter is going to be a decent ad? The answer is: you don't. How can you support some no name prexy k might get stuck with? The answer is: you won't know until it is WAY too late. Bring in a football guy to be the FACE of the athletic department. Then hire a lot of bean counters, advertising executives and anybody else you may want. BUT, your "FACE" man needs to have some smarts and some clout. Marc Trestman is an attorney who will stand up to his staff...his coaches...and will be FAR superior to the failed macturi.

Trestman is an atty: he knows a cash cow when he sees a cash cow and he knows what to do with cash cows...don't worry about that bemidjigopher...

; 0 )

Wait, didn't Trestman say he DIDN'T want to be the football coach?

Lots of angst here. Relax. We know for sure that it is not going to be Najarian, Dungy, Mason, Stein, Nanne, Nelson, or Trestman. Not even super football/sports/humanitarian/kung-fu expert and genius Hohensee. Why? Because President Kaler is no fool. Anyone who thinks these massively flawed candidates even have a shot, is, I'll say it..."completely nuts".

It's Jim Fiore. Done deal.

"Jim Fiore has worked tirelessly to point Stony Brook University on an aggressive course for success in all aspects of intercollegiate athletics. He has been widely praised for his unparalleled success directing an athletics department that is widely considered a model for rising athletic departments around the country...He is currently overseeing nearly $80 million in unprecedented athletic facility upgrades. Fiore also elevated the football program from zero scholarships to the full NCAA FCS scholarship level and, while doing so, elevated all of Stony Brook’s women’s programs to fully funded status...During his tenure, Fiore has helped create a 175-person marching band, was a driving force in a campus-wide branding initiative, the impetus for sealing a multi-year television deal with Madison Square Garden (MSG) Network to broadcast multiple Seawolves games and has worked successfully to gain national television exposure for Stony Brook’s programs on outlets such as ESPN and ESPNU."

He's my guy. He's your guy.

Lots of angst here. Relax. We know for sure that it is not going to be Najarian, Dungy, Mason, Stein, Nanne, Nelson, or Trestman. Not even super football/sports/humanitarian/kung-fu expert and genius Hohensee. Why? Because President Kaler is no fool. Anyone who thinks these massively flawed candidates even have a shot, is, I'll say it..."completely nuts".

It's Jim Fiore. Done deal.

"Jim Fiore has worked tirelessly to point Stony Brook University on an aggressive course for success in all aspects of intercollegiate athletics. He has been widely praised for his unparalleled success directing an athletics department that is widely considered a model for rising athletic departments around the country...He is currently overseeing nearly $80 million in unprecedented athletic facility upgrades. Fiore also elevated the football program from zero scholarships to the full NCAA FCS scholarship level and, while doing so, elevated all of Stony Brook’s women’s programs to fully funded status...During his tenure, Fiore has helped create a 175-person marching band, was a driving force in a campus-wide branding initiative, the impetus for sealing a multi-year television deal with Madison Square Garden (MSG) Network to broadcast multiple Seawolves games and has worked successfully to gain national television exposure for Stony Brook’s programs on outlets such as ESPN and ESPNU."

He's my guy. He's your guy.

Let's hope so.

What's so "massively flawed" about Nelson? He has worked as an associate AD for the premier athletic department in the country for almost a decade. He also lived and worked here in the metro for almost a decade. He has relationships with a lot of people with a lot of money, both here and in California. I agree that Fiore is an excellent candidate and will probably be the guy, but there's nothing wrong with Nelson, and he has the experience and background to make a fine AD as well.

This is not new news! We all know wren is "completely nuts".

What's so "massively flawed" about Nelson? He has worked as an associate AD for the premier athletic department in the country for almost a decade. He also lived and worked here in the metro for almost a decade. He has relationships with a lot of people with a lot of money, both here and in California. I agree that Fiore is an excellent candidate and will probably be the guy, but there's nothing wrong with Nelson, and he has the experience and background to make a fine AD as well.

He DOES NOT have the experience to be a Head AD.

From his own Stanford bio: "In his present position, Nelson oversees 11 sports - men's and women's Cross country, men's and women's indoor track and field, men's and women's outdoor track and field, men's and women's gymnastics, men's and women's fencing and women's squash. In addition Nelson also oversees the Strength and Conditioning program and assist with Community Relations. A 1981 Stanford graduate, Nelson returned to the Farm in 1997 as Assistant Athletic Director for Community Relations. In that position, he served as administrator for the Stanford life skills, community relations and student athlete jobs program. He was named Associate Athletic Director for External Relations in 1999 and Senior Associate Athletic Director for Program services in 2005."

Good grief, do you need any more evidence? Are you kidding?

He DOES NOT have the experience to be a Head AD.

From his own Stanford bio: "In his present position, Nelson oversees 11 sports - men's and women's Cross country, men's and women's indoor track and field, men's and women's outdoor track and field, men's and women's gymnastics, men's and women's fencing and women's squash. In addition Nelson also oversees the Strength and Conditioning program and assist with Community Relations. A 1981 Stanford graduate, Nelson returned to the Farm in 1997 as Assistant Athletic Director for Community Relations. In that position, he served as administrator for the Stanford life skills, community relations and student athlete jobs program. He was named Associate Athletic Director for External Relations in 1999 and Senior Associate Athletic Director for Program services in 2005."

Good grief, do you need any more evidence? Are you kidding?
What more do you want from an associate AD to make them a head AD...?

What more do you want from an associate AD to make them a head AD...?

I guess in these days of accepted mediocrity, this would do it. Notice how they've kept him away from the football and basketball programs.

Last post on this subject.

I guess in these days of accepted mediocrity, this would do it. Last post on this subject.
This phrase "accepted mediocrity" has no meaning. Jim Fiore may be a head AD but it's not at the B1G level, clearly we could do better with someone with experience at a higher level, right? Clearly, you're just accepting mediocrity.

No, I'm not discrediting Fiore, just saying that everyone has a different definition of mediocre. Nick Saban would probably call a 9-3 season "mediocre"

I am so glad no one from this thread is part of the search committee or decision making process for the new AD.

I am so glad no one from this thread is part of the search committee or decision making process for the new AD.

Philly, I disagree. Just think, President Kaler is missing out on a lot of expert input from our anonymous crew. :horse:

Sorry, I am thoroughly unconvinced. He has plenty of associate AD experience, and was a solid NFL player for over a decade. There is no reason to think he wouldn't emphasize the revenue sports. He is a football guy. Again, I am not stumping for him, nor am I saying he is a slam dunk candidate, but nothing in his background convinces me he wouldn't be worth a shot.

If Nelson is a problem for people than be prepared back the Brinks truck up for Bowlsby...though he wouldn't fly around here because of his connections to Iowa.

Does a candidate really have to be an former football player/coach to understand football is priority #1.

A clip from a Charlie Walters article:

Add University of Wisconsin deputy athletics director Sean Frazier as a potential candidate for the Gophers' AD job. Word is Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard has become a strong candidate.

I don't know if the Iowa State bit is as ridiculous as the Wisconsin bit, but without doing any research, Pollard seems like he would be a decent hire.

The bottom line is that no matter who prexy k chooses as AD...the AD will be prexy k's baby and IF things don't go well in Big Ten Play for Football, Basketball and when the Big Ten kicks off the Big Ten Hockey Conference, prexy k is going to have a LOT of explaining to do. How much authority will prexy k allow the new AD to have? Enough to fire and buy out one of the Top Three Revenue head coaches? Where would buy out money come from? Or, will EVERYTHING have to go through prexy k?

The new AD NEEDS to be a football guy...unless prexy k is going to be running everything athletic department related behind the scenes the way prexy b did. IF that is the case, the new ad could be anyone and could just be put in place to be a scape-goat to take the heat for the prexy's agendas and major moves in the athletic department.

Disco Darin probably wouldn't be willing to take too much heat for anybody. Marc Trestman is an atty and maybe he would just sue the H out of any prexy who would try to get him to take a bum rap...

Maybe this stoned brook guy is already set up as a "fall-guy..." He must have some sort of previous expreience with prexy k back at stoned brook in NY...

; 0 )

Kaler is a scientist. I trust scientists.

But, Big Ten Revenue sports are a whole new game for prexy k. We will see how much prexy k understands about the "science" involved in succeeding at the upper third of the Big Ten Revenue sports level. I hope he really "gets it..." but, he is going to have to show us with results. Sorry, after ALL these years of following the Gopher Revenue sports, I need to see Big Ten results...wins minus losses. Talk about how this prexy "gets it" in his first year on the job really means NOTHING as far as I am concerned. "...Trust...but ONLY after significant results have been recorded as Big Ten wins or Big Ten losses..." I really do hope prexy k is both good...and lucky with his actions as the University of Minnesota prexy...but he talks a heck of a lot more like a politician on the campaign trail...no REAL answers...lot's of double-talk and inuendo and plenty of fluff. He doesn't appear to like to make a committment while giving an interview...that is VERY political and somewhat inscincere sounding...VERY prexy-speak-like though...

; 0 )

But, Big Ten Revenue sports are a whole new game for prexy k. We will see how much prexy k understands about the "science" involved in succeeding at the upper third of the Big Ten Revenue sports level. I hope he really "gets it..." but, he is going to have to show us with results. Sorry, after ALL these years of following the Gopher Revenue sports, I need to see Big Ten results...wins minus losses. Talk about how this prexy "gets it" in his first year on the job really means NOTHING as far as I am concerned. "...Trust...but ONLY after significant results have been recorded as Big Ten wins or Big Ten losses..." I really do hope prexy k is both good...and lucky with his actions as the University of Minnesota prexy...

; 0 )

Is the word "president" too hard to write? How about just "Kaler"?

Is the word "president" too hard to write? How about just "Kaler"?

Sorry, I didn't catch your name...could you please repeat it or say it differently so that I could hear it and call you by your name...otherwise I'd have to ask you your name later...and I think it is so much better to be on a first name basis...you can just call me i m...

...(Did you call yourself) "...to be..." or was it not "...to be..." yet? it's just so difficult to carry on a conversation when you haven't formally introduced yourself by name (and probably won't) until some time in the future...Catch you later...

; 0 )

Not sure if this is breaking news, but Matt Nelson and I had President Kaler on for an inning during the Gopher Baseball broadcast on Saturday afternoon (he threw out the first pitch as well) and we asked him about the timeline for the AD search. Kaler said that he was confident the new AD would be named before Maturi exits in June - likely in May at the latest.

Based on that response I have to believe there are at least finalists they are already conversing with at this point.

BTW - it was cool to see Kaler do some play-by-play. He was also going through the stats I had on all the players looking for info he could use, very resourceful, I think the stats appeal to his engineering background.

Wren is at it again

What wren lack in intelligence and insight he tries to make up in unmitigated redundancy and ongoing babbling. The latest example of this is his three rapid postings trying to promote Tressman as AD. For those you who haven't been around here for a while wren has been banned one time or another from every football blog. He doesn't discuss but instead tries to bully everybody. Soon he will be calling people apologists for any reason. He personally drove several people away from the Strib blog two years ago by not allowing then to have a discussion other than his agenda. This is the man who claims that he is really a nice guy.

Top Bottom