Michael Brown-Stephens

All I’m going to say on MBS is he is definitely working on hands this offseason. If he is successful in getting better in that obviously key area… he is a great route runner and is able to get separation. Hoping he can come through, but there is no way he has much leash considering how much depth we have in the WR room.

All I’m going to say on MBS is he is definitely working on hands this offseason. If he is successful in getting better in that obviously key area… he is a great route runner and is able to get separation. Hoping he can come through, but there is no way he has much leash considering how much depth we have in the WR room.
Yep, competition in the WR room went up a ton with the two new additions. Guys like Wright and MBS are going to have to figure out their issues or they are going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

The two transfers both have nice track records so good chance they are in the mix next year and with CRAB coming back there is a decent chance that the returning WR will be battling it out for the 4-5-6 spots in the rotation.

Yep, competition in the WR room went up a ton with the two new additions. Guys like Wright and MBS are going to have to figure out their issues or they are going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

The two transfers both have nice track records so good chance they are in the mix next year and with CRAB coming back there is a decent chance that the returning WR will be battling it out for the 4-5-6 spots in the rotation.
Don't forget about Brockington becoming a factor too.

Don't forget about Brockington becoming a factor too.
Yeah, didn't reference him by name but good chance he is already in that #4 spot. That said, I don't know the specifics in terms of the various WR positions and how the depth might shake out there.

Going to be an interesting position to keep tabs on during the spring and fall camp to see how things are shaking out there.

I love the new guys we're adding to the team, but I think it's going to be really tough to them to jump DJ, Crab, and Lemeke on the depth chart.

Lemeke is a highly rated recruit that really looked the part at the end of the year and he has that second/third gear.

I wish! I think the last one was 2014. There's expected to be another one in 2024 I think
Correct. Summer of 2024. And since my latest gaming system is a PS3, I'm assuming I'm going to need an upgrade there.

My life goals are not dying in the next 18 months so I can attend Metallica/Pantera/Mammoth WVH at US Bank and play NCAA football in late summer 24.

Yeah, didn't reference him by name but good chance he is already in that #4 spot. That said, I don't know the specifics in terms of the various WR positions and how the depth might shake out there.

Going to be an interesting position to keep tabs on during the spring and fall camp to see how things are shaking out there.
Everyone forget about Jackson? He enters Spring practice as our No. 1 receiver.

Yes. We had some very good young WR's step up during the year. While I hope the incoming WR's are as good as adverdised, we have a good, young group coming back with a year of BIG competition under thier belts. With the growth we all expect from year to year with this the team the incoming players will have to be special to unseat anyone.

Embarrassed to admit that I completely forgot about Jackson which is crazy because he was our best receiver this year and has looked very good when healthy.

I guess what it will really break down to is what the depth chart looks like at each of the 3 primary WR positions. Coincidentally, Burns just released his way too early depth chart for the offense within the last day.

He sees the starters as Jackson, Crooms, and either CRAB or Spencer (depending on CRAB's recovery from his knee injury). Then it will just be a matter of how the guys slot in after that. I could see Brockington being the next in line after those 4.

Jackson has a very high ceiling. Id argue he’s our #1A allowing CRAB to be our 1B… and if they are both healthy all year we’re looking at a 2019 level passing game!

Jackson has a very high ceiling. Id argue he’s our #1A allowing CRAB to be our 1B… and if they are both healthy all year we’re looking at a 2019 level passing game!

Both of those guys have a high ceiling but both have also been injury prone. History has shown that the Gophs need good depth at WR. They now have that depth.

The issue is there are a few posters here who lose it if you criticize a player in any way, shape, or form. Only positive things can be said for those who "give their all to the program".
No it's when you take joy in their failures and refer to childish name-calling that people have an issue with. Anything on the field is fair game, it's all the other bull shit that's uncalled for, and then refusing to own it and acting like a victim is just the cherry on the top

He had a couple other drops, but more importantly didn’t go up and fight hard for and/or high point 3-4 long throws that were picked. The dbs clearly had more want to than he did. Burns had that crazy stat where something like 4 or 5 of the most recent 7 or 8 passes that were thrown to him were picked. I think that started at Purdue and went for the next two games give or take.
He did, but he also ironically against Purdue on 2021 had two big receptions that lead to that win. MBS works hard and has had some unfortunate moments, I'm sure he will see the writing on the wall in the spring, but if he wants to stay and fight for reps and earn his degree than that's okay too

No Shxt Sherlock..... Wright should have been out there all year good and bad...... talent

Yes, the staff put too much weight on MBS so called soft skill set and the results proved them very wrong.

Dylan Wright should have been out there from day 1. The staff running that hooded nephew out there game after game is not OK.. Lots of people in my section noted why is MBS out there gain after all the F ups. Where is #5? #22 MBS earned almost none of the playing time from my seat at least..

Catch a ball that counts. MB22 f'ed it up, yet never gets benched... #5 Dylan Wright off to Siberia

Yesl the staff f'ed it up they played the wrong guy and that is no implication, but the truth.
Effort matters, running correct routes matters, blocking matters. Wright played when he head his head out of his ass, Wright didn't play when he wasn't willing to put in the effort. Pretty obvious watching the games at least to me. Talent important but it's not everything if you're not willing to do the things you need to to help the team win. It's not a wright vs MBS thing it's a mentality battle Wright has to fight vs himself, he has the natural ability, it just needs to click on a consistent basis from an effort standpoint

Effort matters, running correct routes matters, blocking matters. Wright played when he head his head out of his ass, Wright didn't play when he wasn't willing to put in the effort. Pretty obvious watching the games at least to me. Talent important but it's not everything if you're not willing to do the things you need to to help the team win. It's not a wright vs MBS thing it's a mentality battle Wright has to fight vs himself, he has the natural ability, it just needs to click on a consistent basis from an effort standpoint
Well said. Nobody would doubt that from a physical standpoint, Wright is the best WR we have. But that is just part of the game and clearly some of the other parts of his game are lacking.

But I don't sit in that section and apparently they have it all figured out so I will defer to their all knowing wisdom on who should and should not be playing.

Exactly. On top of not finishing routes, and not always giving 100% effort, Wright has been seen arguing with coaches as well. Wright is keeping Wright on the sidelines, not MBS. PJ isn't going to sacrifice culture for talent, which is why he's a good coach.

Exactly. On top of not finishing routes, and not always giving 100% effort, Wright has been seen arguing with coaches as well. Wright is keeping Wright on the sidelines, not MBS. PJ isn't going to sacrifice culture for talent, which is why he's a good coach.
Wright plays harder with 8 as the QB. Not sure why and not excusing his antics when 2 was behind center, but from what I could see it was a real difference.

I’m just not a fan of trying to railroad kids out of the program when you find someone better. I get that is the way of things in this day and age, but I don’t like it. I agree MBS didn’t have the season we and I’m sure most of all he had wanted.

I am not sure what you mean by "railroading" a player out of the program. I'd love to hear what you mean by that.

To clarify my perspective - if that's even needed at this point - I don't believe MBS should be on this roster, not due to character - but due to skill set. This is one step below professional football, and the reality is you either perform at a level to justify your role, or you risk losing it. If you don't perform, then you have to hope the coaches think they can develop you or transform your position. In the case of MBS, I don't see either as an option.
But I tell you what - I am excited to see whether the coaches agree.

Wright plays harder with 8 as the QB. Not sure why and not excusing his antics when 2 was behind center, but from what I could see it was a real difference.

Maybe, but could be a coincidence. He’s had a few standout games prior to the AK era. I’ll believe it when I see it next year. The WR corps IMO is a pretty big question mark right now-injuries, inconsistency, transfers but that’s always the case in college. #9 had a quasi-breakout year and looks to be set up for a big season. CAB is reliable. Beyond that have to project a bit more. Always interesting to seen who rises and falls.

I am not sure what you mean by "railroading" a player out of the program. I'd love to hear what you mean by that.

To clarify my perspective - if that's even needed at this point - I don't believe MBS should be on this roster, not due to character - but due to skill set. This is one step below professional football, and the reality is you either perform at a level to justify your role, or you risk losing it. If you don't perform, then you have to hope the coaches think they can develop you or transform your position. In the case of MBS, I don't see either as an option.
But I tell you what - I am excited to see whether the coaches agree.
This is one step below professional ball, but it is not professional ball. The rules are different. If you offer a scholarship the player gets it for four years, if he is not as good as you had hoped, that is a failure by the coaches. The player still has every right to his four years. He cannot be cut due to not being as good as the coaches had hoped. Anything beyond open discussion about where the player falls on the depth chart is starting to go too far in my opinion. If a player wants to ride the bench for four years while getting free education then that is his right per the contract he signed. I am sure coaches have methods I don’t agree with to get kids to transfer out, which I personally think should be policed, but good luck with that. We’ve seen examples like Ben St Juste where Michigan pushed him to medically retire, obviously to get him off the roster, since he is now in the nfl.

Could be a chemistry thing too. I imagine Athan threw a lot to Wright while working with the two's

This is one step below professional ball, but it is not professional ball. The rules are different. If you offer a scholarship the player gets it for four years, if he is not as good as you had hoped, that is a failure by the coaches. The player still has every right to his four years. He cannot be cut due to not being as good as the coaches had hoped. Anything beyond open discussion about where the player falls on the depth chart is starting to go too far in my opinion. If a player wants to ride the bench for four years while getting free education then that is his right per the contract he signed. I am sure coaches have methods I don’t agree with to get kids to transfer out, which I personally think should be policed, but good luck with that. We’ve seen examples like Ben St Juste where Michigan pushed him to medically retire, obviously to get him off the roster, since he is now in the nfl.
Technically they get a scholly for four years, but if the team says we no longer want you, the player can still attend school but he wouldn't count towards the 85. However that rarely happens as guys transfer out because they still want to play.

I’m really looking forward to our offense this year. Good chance we score an average of 10 or more points per over last year. The new passing run ratio will open up an explosive offense and MBS could lead us in receiving yards. It is possible and would not surprise me.

What evidence has anyone seen to suggest MBS is being pushed out? Does someone believe Fleck would not want a receiver of his experience in the program to compete for playing time next year?

It was Michael's decision not to be on the bowl team. It will be his decision whether to come back or transfer.

Top Bottom