Michael Brown-Stephens

I have a theory that almost every football game, except lopsided games, come down to 3-5 plays... the problem is, you never know what 3-5 plays are going to be the big plays!
All you have to do is think about some of the close losses against teams like Iowa. One or two miscues decided the outcome of the game against the Gophers.

Those close games in the magical 2019 season come down to elite key plays. The Gophers had enough difference-maker talent like Antoine Winfield, Jr. and Rashod Bateman.

The Gophers must constantly improve by addition and subtraction to keep up with the upper-echelon teams in the B1G.

Last edited:

Couple of things

- MBS hasn't officially left the team, he is just taking time for himself to figure things out. He isn't the first player to do it and won't be the last. Whatever he decides, wish him the best. I've heard nothing but great things about him as a teammate and person.

- Regardless of MBS, Fleck was going to hit the portal hard for receivers. The consistency just wasn't there this season. Also, remember that six receivers left the program after last spring. It was a position group that needed help and depth.
How often does a player "leave the team to decide next steps", including purposefully missing an official game the team is playing, and then decide to come back to the team for next season?

That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Fleck has told him to take the time he needs, supports him 100%, and has left the door 100% wide open for him to come back next year.

That's how Fleck operates. A player's coach, does not burn bridges.

How often does a player "leave the team to decide next steps", including purposefully missing an official game the team is playing, and then decide to come back to the team for next season?
He hasn't missed any games yet and guys take leaves from time to time. Wright has been away from the team at times for personal reasons for example.

Given that there has been nothing official one way or the other this really could end up going any way.

in 2022/2023? Nothing really is a surprise anymore. There are tons of players going into the portal while still playing in bowls for their current teams. That seems odd as well. if he's done with finals and has the coaches blessing to go home and enjoy time with family and make a decision on his future, he should be allowed to do so. Fleck seems to be a pretty understanding and a player focused coach.

He hasn't missed any games yet and guys take leaves from time to time. Wright has been away from the team at times for personal reasons for example.

Given that there has been nothing official one way or the other this really could end up going any way.
OP said "I would expect him to not be available for the bowl game." I was going off that.

in 2022/2023? Nothing really is a surprise anymore. There are tons of players going into the portal while still playing in bowls for their current teams. That seems odd as well. if he's done with finals and has the coaches blessing to go home and enjoy time with family and make a decision on his future, he should be allowed to do so. Fleck seems to be a pretty understanding and a player focused coach.
In the portal while playing???

You sure on that? That seems incredible. But, if a coach is cool with that in the "new normal", so be it.

Correct on Fleck. Except: once you're actually in the portal, he literally won't even speak your name anymore.

Haven't seen him pop up in Transfer Portal. He's been at MN for 4 full years, so interesting to see where or if he plays anymore football.

Haven't seen him pop up in Transfer Portal. He's been at MN for 4 full years, so interesting to see where or if he plays anymore football.
I hope he finds what’s best for him, whether he stays a Gopher or moves on. As of today he’s still on the roster and will be a Redshirt Senior this fall with what could be 2 years left to play.

Glad to hear he is hopefully staying. I like MBS, he will help us win some games next year.

Glad to hear he is hopefully staying. I like MBS, he will help us win some games next year.
He could be one who makes his transfer decision after spring ball. With the new WR coming in he should have a pretty good idea where he falls in the pecking order.

I’m not sure about that as I don’t see who he plays ahead of Bell, Wright, Brockington, Jackson, transfers, about 3 other true and red shirt freshman. Even BSF gets time out wide.

I wish this thread would go away. Or at least the title changed. It doesn't seem right to publicly call out a student like this.
Yeah I've been hard on him at times but am also a big believer that he has the tools to become a solid receiver. No point in harping on him over and over.

Yeah I've been hard on him at times but am also a big believer that he has the tools to become a solid receiver. No point in harping on him over and over.
He has the knack to get open, something that’s recently been a struggle for the group. Dropping passes can be corrected because it’s usually a concentration issue. Hopefully, he puts in the time to make completing the catch his main focus.

The WR room just got really crowded, so I'd completely understand if he left.

As long as it wasn't sour grapes that led him to not playing in the bowl game, I'd be happy to have him back. He gets open.

+10,000!!!! We just got better today. This is the best news of the week, losing him is FAR better than anyone we gained lol.
He was an absolute blight on the team from a production and performance standpoint. Some of the biggest, most critical drops in the biggest spots.
He's just a kid, I don't wish him any ill-will...and I'd be glad to see the team go in a different direction next year.

He was an absolute blight on the team from a production and performance standpoint. Some of the biggest, most critical drops in the biggest spots.
He's just a kid, I don't wish him any ill-will...and I'd be glad to see the team go in a different direction next year.
There is no doubt he had some very high profile drops this season. Calling him a blight might be a bit on the harsh side though.

I wonder if many receivers have converted to DB during their careers. Not trying to be mean and maybe my armchair impression of a few tough drops, low 50/50 success rate, body catching habit is not borne out by statistics or closer scrutiny; he’s obviously a great athlete and can run well but does he have a future NFL career as a receiver?

I wonder if many receivers have converted to DB during their careers. Not trying to be mean and maybe my armchair impression of a few tough drops, low 50/50 success rate, body catching habit is not borne out by statistics or closer scrutiny; he’s obviously a great athlete and can run well but does he have a future NFL career as a receiver?
Howard was a recent example here of a guy who went from receiver to DB. Who knows if that would be a viable option for MBS.

To the NFL future question....very few college receivers/players have NFL futures.

Top Bottom