Michael Brown-Stephens

There is no doubt he had some very high profile drops this season. Calling him a blight might be a bit on the harsh side though.
Would "chronic underachiever with a case of the yips when he was needed most" work better?
The Purdue game... man that one really stung.

I know Mo fumbling against Iowa is every bit as consequential...but he deserves a ton of leeway considering he's top five Gophers of all time material and was carrying the team on his back all year.

No ill will to the kid - I hope he turns it around elsewhere.

Would "chronic underachiever with a case of the yips when he was needed most" work better?
The Purdue game... man that one really stung.

I know Mo fumbling against Iowa is every bit as consequential...but he deserves a ton of leeway considering he's top five Gophers of all time material and was carrying the team on his back all year.

No ill will to the kid - I hope he turns it around elsewhere.
I don’t generally disagree, but I’m a “chronic underachiever”… and you don’t know anything about me because of it.

But here we are talking about mbs. There’s got to be more to it than just “chronic underachiever” / that can’t be entirely true or we would never talk about him.

I guess we could just assume it’s relative to something all the time but I think that term is too general to apply.

I don’t generally disagree, but I’m a “chronic underachiever”… and you don’t know anything about me because of it.

But here we are talking about mbs. There’s got to be more to it than just “chronic underachiever” / that can’t be entirely true or we would never talk about him.

I guess we could just assume it’s relative to something all the time but I think that term is too general to apply.
The issue is there are a few posters here who lose it if you criticize a player in any way, shape, or form. Only positive things can be said for those who "give their all to the program".

My brother - I'm all about the underdog.
As for MBS - like most D-1 athletes, he probably CRUSHED the HS level...and he just found his ceiling in a D-1 power five setting. That doesn't mean he can't turn it around and rise to the occasion, but if I were a coach I think the program is wise to move on and let MBS try to right his ship elsewhere.

I am not critiquing his character - and in terms of athleticism, well he'd run circles around anyone I know no doubt.

The issue is there are a few posters here who lose it if you criticize a player in any way, shape, or form. Only positive things can be said for those who "give their all to the program".
I took issue with him being referred to as a "blight". You can point out a guy struggled without going quite that far... :)

There’s some that don’t like any criticizing. There’s more that don’t like over the top criticizing.

He was an absolute blight on the team from a production and performance standpoint. Some of the biggest, most critical drops in the biggest spots.
He's just a kid, I don't wish him any ill-will...and I'd be glad to see the team go in a different direction next year.
We all remember the Purdue drop, but I don’t remember this long list of other huge drops in critical spots.

We all remember the Purdue drop, but I don’t remember this long list of other huge drops in critical spots.
I am for sure self aware to the point that the purdue drop absolutely biases my perspective. But without re-watching all the games, I remember him having a big drop against Wisconsin, and what I don't remember is him stepping up in a meaningful way all year. I am not trying to spearhead an anti MBS campaign...and (not a but) - I am glad we are going in a different direction.
If you think he deserves a starting spot in our WR corps then I agree to disagree.

I took issue with him being referred to as a "blight". You can point out a guy struggled without going quite that far... :)
Blight is just more dramatic.
Hey - I got an emotional reaction!

But for real, what is it about his performance you think needs defending? I made it clear that I used the term in regards to his performance. Is it that "blight" has locker room connotations?

I am for sure self aware to the point that the purdue drop absolutely biases my perspective. But without re-watching all the games, I remember him having a big drop against Wisconsin, and what I don't remember is him stepping up in a meaningful way all year. I am not trying to spearhead an anti MBS campaign...and (not a but) - I am glad we are going in a different direction.
If you think he deserves a starting spot in our WR corps then I agree to disagree.
Nobody deserves a starting spot in January. If he elects to return he will compete for time with everyone else.

I’m just not a fan of trying to railroad kids out of the program when you find someone better. I get that is the way of things in this day and age, but I don’t like it. I agree MBS didn’t have the season we and I’m sure most of all he had wanted.

For me the issue was not about MBS but the coaching staff. They put him out there game after game, play after play and he just does not have the skills. meanwhile.. #5...
#5 has shown very little.

Do you think the coaches don’t want to win? Or that you’re a better talent evaluator than they are? They don’t play MBS over Wright because they want to be worse. What you’re implying is that they don’t know who on their roster deserves to play.

No Shxt Sherlock..... Wright should have been out there all year good and bad...... talent

Yes, the staff put too much weight on MBS so called soft skill set and the results proved them very wrong.

Dylan Wright should have been out there from day 1. The staff running that hooded nephew out there game after game is not OK.. Lots of people in my section noted why is MBS out there gain after all the F ups. Where is #5? #22 MBS earned almost none of the playing time from my seat at least..

Catch a ball that counts. MB22 f'ed it up, yet never gets benched... #5 Dylan Wright off to Siberia

Yesl the staff f'ed it up they played the wrong guy and that is no implication, but the truth.
Hahahaha. I’m glad your section is full of elite coaches. They must know the route trees and practice habits. Incredible section you have.

Coaches are wrong a lot, and many suck up the head coach and are not honest... self preservation

Do you really want to die on the hill of defending MBS level of playing time. I am over 50 and I have better ball skills
Wright has proven time and again he isn’t great. He looks great. He has made great plays. But he is a bone head and there is clearly reasons you may not be privy to as to why he isn’t playing more. I’m sure you love his high school ranking and that validates your opinion.

I never once said MBS deserves the playing time. I asked if you know more than the coaches. You said yes. Which is comical.

That isn't true...the problem isn't criticizing it is how you do it. The only ones who can't seem to get that are the people who are going way over the top about it.

There is plenty to critique MBS over, just show a little class while doing it. My guess is you aren't perfect in everything you do and wouldn't appreciate people being dicks about it...especially knowing they could do no better.

No Shxt Sherlock..... Wright should have been out there all year good and bad...... talent

Yes, the staff put too much weight on MBS so called soft skill set and the results proved them very wrong.

Dylan Wright should have been out there from day 1. The staff running that hooded nephew out there game after game is not OK.. Lots of people in my section noted why is MBS out there gain after all the F ups. Where is #5? #22 MBS earned almost none of the playing time from my seat at least..

Catch a ball that counts. MB22 f'ed it up, yet never gets benched... #5 Dylan Wright off to Siberia

Yesl the staff f'ed it up they played the wrong guy and that is no implication, but the truth.
Well if the coaches in your section said it it must be true...

Do you think it is possible that maybe, just maybe Watson the coaches had a reason they didn't play #5 more often and played MBS? Do you think Watson that such information may just be beyond you and your fellow section coaches purview?

Nah you are right Watson...you and your fellow section coaches definitely know something our coaches don't. I say we fire Fleck and hire you all! My guess is a case of Grainbelt should about cover it..

Question: Is there any one player that deserves five going on six pages of ripping? Hard for me, because all the players chose the University of Minnesota over many programs. I understand critiquing players is what fans do, but I'm beginning to wonder if he, Michael Brown-Stephens,
isn't exceeding criticism of Tanner Morgan and Mitch Leidner combined(only slightly exaggerating).

For the record, I applaud Mitch and Tanner. Overjoyed that MBS, Mitch and Tanner chose Minnesota!

Question: Is there any one player that deserves five going on six pages of ripping? Hard for me, because all the players chose the University of Minnesota over many programs. I understand critiquing players is what fans do, but I'm beginning to wonder if he, Michael Brown-Stephens,
isn't exceeding criticism of Tanner Morgan and Mitch Leidner combined(only slightly exaggerating).

For the record, I applaud Mitch and Tanner. Overjoyed that MBS, Mitch and Tanner chose Minnesota!
AJ Barker kind of did but that was just funny.

I’d be curious what the snap shares were. It’s not like Wright tore it up the three games after Nebraska without MBS around. Good game vs Wisky, but not much vs Cuse or NW.

Y'all remember when Winfield got hurt in 2018 and then Howden was victimized in the secondary for the rest of the year?

Then one year later he caught the game ending interception against PSU for the biggest Gopher football win in at least a decade?

College football is about player development. The players aren't static. They get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter every year they are in college.

He dropped a couple passes last year, but he may end up being the best player on the field next year.

This entire thread is dumb.

Well if the coaches in your section said it it must be true...

Do you think it is possible that maybe, just maybe Watson the coaches had a reason they didn't play #5 more often and played MBS? Do you think Watson that such information may just be beyond you and your fellow section coaches purview?

Nah you are right Watson...you and your fellow section coaches definitely know something our coaches don't. I say we fire Fleck and hire you all! My guess is a case of Grainbelt should about cover it..
Dr. Watson or....Prof. Moriarty?

Y'all remember when Winfield got hurt in 2018 and then Howden was victimized in the secondary for the rest of the year?

Then one year later he caught the game ending interception against PSU for the biggest Gopher football win in at least a decade?

College football is about player development. The players aren't static. They get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter every year they are in college.

He dropped a couple passes last year, but he may end up being the best player on the field next year.

This entire thread is dumb.
I dunno the section coaches feel otherwise and they would know ;)

He had a couple other drops, but more importantly didn’t go up and fight hard for and/or high point 3-4 long throws that were picked. The dbs clearly had more want to than he did. Burns had that crazy stat where something like 4 or 5 of the most recent 7 or 8 passes that were thrown to him were picked. I think that started at Purdue and went for the next two games give or take.

That's because most of these dopes spend all day playing NCAA '22, which has NO drops. Real life is not at all like a video game. Classless criticism.

Top Bottom