Miami basketball player publicly threatens to transfer if his NIL deal is not increased after a new transfer in to Miami got a higher deal

The Athletic had two contrasting articles this week about the NIL
One was about how TX AM was handling the situation to prevent what happened in Miami BB. The other was about the Miami situation.
Ruiz is rich but pathetic.

All I know is that I’m very very very glad we have PJ here when NIL hit… I can only imagine how poorly this would have played out for us if we had Kill/Claeys at the helm.

bullshit-see-now-thats-some-bullshit.gif

Shooty hoops action here but I think it is relevant to football as far as how things play out.

Let the NIL games begin!
Mr. Wong sounds like a good candidate for the Golden Douche award. Where are you LesBolstad?

But with a creepy sugar daddy twist ... and no union ...
Exactly.

Like I said, I hope when whatever this new restructure is, if it's a new CFA or whatever, the players at the top end at least in football and basketball (men's and women's) form a union. That's the best way they're going to protect themselves.

Right now we just hear about players trying to game the system and "screwing over" the NIL contract providers. But it could easily go the other way, and those stories will probably start flowing out in the next couple/few years as well.

It's the combination of NIL + being able to go where you want, whenever you get the whim, and be immediately eligible.

If the NFL had it where new players could sign with whatever team they wanted after college, play for that team for one year, and then choose completely on their own accord to leave and then play for another team the next year .... the product would suck. Fans couldn't get into a team. The players would be changing all the time, and it would just be the few biggest/richest teams dominating every year.

Who wants that (other than fans of those teams)?

By the way, anyone else think it a bit odd that this guy's last name is Wong?

Well anyway ...

Mr. Wong sounds like a good candidate for the Golden Douche award. Where are you LesBolstad?
I dunno what to think.

If you go the route of pay to play… yeah they want more pay. That’s the priority…

So ... is Irving officially in the portal?? Were we (Gopher NIL collective?? etc.) able to "match the offer" to keep him here?

I know the Cambria people are big sports fans. Maybe they could get a collective started.

I remember during the Cold War when a "collective" was some Communist idea, and of course we were against anything the godless commies were doing.

I am skeptical of the NIL numbers thrown around by (I’m assuming) agents.

I am skeptical of the NIL numbers thrown around by (I’m assuming) agents.
Think the numbers might actually be higher? Keep some off the books so you don't get as much of the income taxed?

Last edited:

It is just amazing how wrong the proponents of NIL were.

All of the things they said would NEVER happen are now common mere months later.

We were all told “it’s not going to work that way”. But it works exactly that way.

More along the lines of incitement of a bidding war. The 2M/year numbers could be legit, but like I said I’m skeptical till I see it on a contract.

I‘ll guess one of the immediate impacts of stories like this is players and their agents across the country sending out feelers to dealmakers to see what they can get. How much will eg Ohio State boosters pay to keep their young phenom receiver?

How deep are the boosters pockets? This could get interesting.

You’re going to have to do better than that, Buckeye fans. Story on Smith-Njigba and Ohio State NIL status

Some (nearly meaningless) average numbers:

“Stroud and Smith-Njigba’s deals join a growing list of NIL deals for Ohio State student-athletes.

The university previously said most deals are in the $25 to $500 range, though the average deal is $4,777, a figure raised by “a few” six-figure NIL agreements.

According to updated data provided by the OSU, there are 849 NIL deals with its student-athletes, 222 of which are with football players. The football deals total more than $2.9 million and average $13,284, well above the national average of $2,703.”

Last edited:

Right now we just hear about players trying to game the system and "screwing over" the NIL contract providers. But it could easily go the other way, and those stories will probably start flowing out in the next couple/few years as well.
Soon, you might see that certain players will learn an essential element of contract law: that NIL contracts, like all contracts, are bilateral agreements that cannot be treated as unilateral gifts. Default provisions, remedies upon default, etc., kind of depends on the nature/vindictiveness of the booster(s) you have thrown in with. Be careful.

Top Bottom