Miami basketball player publicly threatens to transfer if his NIL deal is not increased after a new transfer in to Miami got a higher deal

NIL will continue to screw up college sports until some reasonable solution is found. Who would want to donate to an athletic dept where some of the players (donees) make more than the donors? I, for one, will not play that game anymore (pun intended).

Individual booster-driven high-bucks NIL deals have the potential to create toxic locker rooms. Might be OK to be in the U’s spot.

What is weird about all this is now your roster is potentially determined by some rando NIL billionaire guy getting along with some rando kid ...

In pro sports that whole dance is structured and has agents. Not so much in college.

Sounds like a strong teammate, a real "team guy" across the board.
That’s what it’s come to. Don’t blame the kid. At least I won’t. This NIL bs isn’t found to end well for the ncaa and the kids involved.

That’s what it’s come to. Don’t blame the kid. At least I won’t. This NIL bs isn’t found to end well for the ncaa and the kids involved.
Sorry, it's one thing to want more money. It's another thing to say I want more money because you gave one of my own teammates a certain amount; pretty much tells your teammate that you don't think very much of them, they aren't worth as much as YOU are.

It is pro sports now.
In the sense they are getting paid but it’s a wild west free-for-all. There is no structure. There are no rules. There is no pecking order. There is no scale to slot people into.
Just a random money grab chaos environment with some teams standing around wondering and asking: “What should we do? Mary, schedule a meeting for next fall…we need to figure this out.”

Individual booster-driven high-bucks NIL deals have the potential to create toxic locker rooms. Might be OK to be in the U’s spot.
This. If it doesnt create a divide in locker rooms Ill be surprised. It also raises the pressure on the staff to make sure these players play even if a non highly rated recruit is clearly better.

Gonna be fun to watch and see where we are in 2 years.

"Isaiah is under contract," billionaire John Ruiz told ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! Surprises me because there are so many players that would love to play for the U!"

On one hand...kudos to John Ruiz for standing his ground. On the other..."you idiot, you just gave a chitload of cash to a 20-year-old that ain't there to play school, what did you expect?"

"Isaiah is under contract," billionaire John Ruiz told ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! Surprises me because there are so many players that would love to play for the U!"

On one hand...kudos to John Ruiz for standing his ground. On the other..."you idiot, you just gave a chitload of cash to a 20-year-old that ain't there to play school, what did you expect?"
NIL deals are not supposed to be tied to playing at a particular school (so I have read). Obviously NIL deals are tied to playing for a particular school.

NIL deals are not supposed to be tied to playing at a particular school (so I have read). Obviously NIL deals are tied to playing for a particular school.
This is where it will get really interesting to see how it is handled when the high dollar NIL guys leave.

Obviously everyone in the world knows the money is unofficially tied to a player going to a particular school but it can't officially be tied to that. So what happens to those agreements when the player decides to leave the school he was paid to go to? Could lead to a lot of unique and really messy situations.

It's plain to see that NIL is primary income for high level college football and basketball.

Plain as day. This scenario is proof. Would General Mills not put a particular player on the Wheaties box just because they got traded? That's not how it works.

I hope this blatant distinction between the two ecosystems helps judges/courts realize that "college NIL" should be allowed to be regulated like the primary income that it is.

It's plain to see that NIL is primary income for high level college football and basketball.

Plain as day. This scenario is proof. Would General Mills not put a particular player on the Wheaties box just because they got traded? That's not how it works.

I hope this blatant distinction between the two ecosystems helps judges/courts realize that "college NIL" should be allowed to be regulated like the primary income that it is.
You keep using this term "primary income". Why do courts care whether this is someone's primary or secondary income? It seems like you are trying to talk yourself and everyone into believing that the courts are going to come in and save the day for you on this issue. It's not happening, welcome to capitalism.

You keep using this term "primary income". Why do courts care whether this is someone's primary or secondary income? It seems like you are trying to talk yourself and everyone into believing that the courts are going to come in and save the day for you on this issue. It's not happening, welcome to capitalism.
They may not. There is no guarantee.

All kinds of laws, rules, and regulations exist that restrain a pure, free market. I don't see a compelling reason that this should escape those regulations.

Eff this wrong dude.
I've got your nil dill right here in my pocket.

This is where it will get really interesting to see how it is handled when the high dollar NIL guys leave.

Obviously everyone in the world knows the money is unofficially tied to a player going to a particular school but it can't officially be tied to that. So what happens to those agreements when the player decides to leave the school he was paid to go to? Could lead to a lot of unique and really messy situations.
I'm pretty sure most smart NIL deals are year to year or ... month to month and then you just choose not to peruse it anymore when it becomes time to do that.

On what legal basis would a court be able to step in to regulate NIL?

The college kids can and should have agents who would keep this drama out of the media.

The only thing I've felt strongly about is that there really does need to be SOMEONE whose job it is to have the player's best interest in mind.

I don't know that the average NIL really pays a given agent enough, but someone should fill that role. But you do have to be careful who does that too...

Everyone involved has SOME sort of incentive that doesn't have the player's best interest in mind. God help us if we have to hear from Dabo about how much he is concerned about the kids getting paid ... while he RAKES IN THE MONEY...

Seriously - write or e-mail your local member of Congress or the Senate and tell them you want to see national legislation regulating NIL.

the NCAA is not going to do anything.

If Congress doesn't act, it's just going to get worse.

"There is nothing so bad that politics cannot make it worse." Thomas Sowell.

college athletes ARE allowed to have an NIL representative - or agent if you prefer. the agent cannot have anything to do with playing contracts or pro sports. duties confined to reviewing and helping approve NIL deals.

now, how this works with these collectives, I do not know.

the collective is the aspect that no one saw coming. whether they should have is another discussion.

college athletes ARE allowed to have an NIL representative - or agent if you prefer. the agent cannot have anything to do with playing contracts or pro sports. duties confined to reviewing and helping approve NIL deals.

now, how this works with these collectives, I do not know.

the collective is the aspect that no one saw coming. whether they should have is another discussion.

Who is starting the gopher collective?

Who is starting the gopher collective?
Luke made a reference on the GG podcast about Derek Burns starting something. I'm not a part of GI or the Discord they were supposedly chatting on (and honestly have zero idea how to use Discord, lol), but I'd be interested in getting on board if anyone gets details.

Top Bottom