Memphis Coach Josh Pastner

GopherLady

Reaction score
I knew he was young, but didn't realize he was THAT young. 32, but looks like he's about 24.

Makes me kind of feel like a loser for not being more successful at my age!

I don't know much about him - is he shady like Calipari, or will he run a clean program?

He just landed some ridiculous recruits this past signing period with literally 0 head coaching experience.

Three 5-star recruits (Kendrick, Jackson, Barton), and a 4-star (Black) in 3 months? Pretty impressive for a 32-year old, pulling in the #1 recruiting class in the country.

He just landed some ridiculous recruits this past signing period with literally 0 head coaching experience.

3 five-star recruits (Kendrick, Jackson, Barton), and a 4-star (Black) in 3 months? Pretty impressive for a 32-year old, pulling in the #1 recruiting class in the country.

So, are you saying he is shady? Just kidding! That's incredible - you would think he'd lose recruits with a coaching change.

Memphis does run an NBA style offense which may cater to a young man playing for a paycheck

Another little tidbit

He is not willing to accept any endorsement $$$ this season as he feels he needs to earn his cred first

He is not willing to accept any endorsement $$$ this season as he feels he needs to earn his cred first

That's solid. I hope this guy doesn't make me like Memphis, they've been my most hated good team for so long. If he runs a clean program though - more power to him.

GopherHoopsGuy...welcome to the board! Love getting new members...that aren't Iowa fans :)

Not sure if I heard this correctly, but I was tuning in and out and they said he applied for college head coaching jobs when he was 19. When he was 21 he was a finalist for the Prairie View A&M gig. Kinda sounds like a Jedd Fisch type up bringing....only successful.

His father, Hal Pastner, used to run a bunch of big time AAU tournaments and knows everybody, so Josh had some amazing connections at a very early age and is an amazing recruiter. I would never say somebody never cheats since there is no way to know for sure but his reputation is pretty clean, but who knows how much Calipari rubbed off on him.

Um ... you do realize Wisconsin has a basketball team?

Haha! That's why I said "good" team. Don't get me wrong, WI has buried us for many years, but as far as top 10 kind of teams.

One of my friends was at Arizona when he was there, and said this:

Pastner is destined to be Izzo or Self someday. Everything he has ever done is in preparation for being a big time college coach. He has a squeaky clean reputation in Tucson and other than his tendency to self-promote, I think he is good.

I take his word, because living in the same city - you know the inside stuff on coaches...who cheats on their wives, who lies to recruits, who's a partyer, etc.

I've been fairly indifferent with Memphis during the Calipari years (I watch the Calipari soap opera with bemusement), but I find myself really pulling for Memphis for a couple reasons. One of those reasons is that they sold out their Midnight Madness for the first time this year, which says something about their devotion to the program even though it will certainly not be their finest year. I also like that the program took a shot on Pastner, which looks more and more like the right move given that one of the other top candidates names was Tim Floyd. I also admire a sports town more passionate for their college team than their pro team. Finally, Beale Street, Rendevous Ribs, Graceland, the Civil Rights Museum, Sun Records, etc. . .While not perfect, Memphis is a pretty cool city with some wonderful/tragic history.

because I'm pretty sure the NCAA would disagree with you on both accounts.

North Country,

You don't have a lot of posts, so maybe haven't been through this discussion before, but you may regret that post. In the past, saying that stuff to Truth is a lot like standing under the intake spigot at a waste treament facility and betting the chief engineer he can't find a way to turn it on. :)

because I'm pretty sure the NCAA would disagree with you on both accounts.

NCAA investigations at both places (Camby at UMass, Rose at Memphis) found no fault with Calipari.

He pushes right up to the edge, no doubt. But no NCAA investigation has judged him as a cheater.

His father, Hal Pastner, used to run a bunch of big time AAU tournaments and knows everybody, so Josh had some amazing connections at a very early age and is an amazing recruiter. I would never say somebody never cheats since there is no way to know for sure but his reputation is pretty clean, but who knows how much Calipari rubbed off on him.

You can count the Never Cheats group on your hands, maybe one hand. The Gophers have one of the fingers (Tubby).

Top Bottom