Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas Trip Plans: Hotels, Bars, Tickets, Tailgating, etc.

Much, much lower hottie ratio in this second video.

Ahhhhh...I thought you were poking fun that we could only get the non-revenue sports in the video. I misunderstood your first comment on the video and showed you one with basketball and hockey in there. :p

I agree though, that there are far more attractive athletes in the first video!

That's the spirit! Although they could have done without the auto-tune. ;)

I thank TX aggie for helping my fellow gopher alums. For bars if you are downtown at the Hyatt Id go down Washington Avenue or go to Midtown, In Midtown there is Pulp Fiction, Celtic Garden, and singalong at Howl at the Moon very proximate. BTW the main liquor store is Specs right across the way. Number of other bars within 2 walking blocks in Midtown. 5-8$ cab ride from downtown Hyatt. On Washington just drive or cab until you find a place to hang at. Eight, Reign are clubs, Lot, Drinkery, Salt are places for 21-28 to get drunk. Laurenzos has great prime rib!

Ill post agian as we get closer...

I'm guessing most of you have seen this, but I'm posting just in case. I was hoping there would be an official tailgate - and there is - if you can call this a tailgate. It might appeal to some folks, though.

Gopher Tailgate

Friday, December 28, 2012
5 p.m.

Bull Run Party Deck in Reliant Stadium

Join fellow Gopher fans at the official Meineke Car Care Bowl tailgate party!

When: Friday, December 28 at 5 p.m.
Where: Bull Run Party Deck in Reliant Stadium
Cost: $50/person; $35 for children ages 10 to 16; $20 for children under the age of 10

Includes a Texas BBQ buffet: Garden Green Salad with Cilantro Ranch & Balsamic Vinaigrette; Chipotle Baked Potato Salad; Chopped Beef Sandwich; Herb Grilled Chicken; Fresh Baked Sandwich Buns; BBQ Baked Beans; Ancho Barbeque Sauce; Pickles, Onions & Jalapenos; Assorted Cookies & Brownies.
Tickets for beer and wine will be provided.

Special guests at the tailgate include U of M President Eric Kaler and Athletic Director Norwood Teague!

And, that's NOT Texas BBQ, but it seems to be a pretty decent meal, plus a chance to rub elbows with the bigwigs.

I just came to the realization today that this bowl game falls on my wife's birthday.

So, our pregame plans now include a stop at the Sundance Theater for a lunchtime showing of Les Mis (just what gets me pumped up for football). However, this still leaves plenty of time for tailgating or bar action prior to the game. Anyone firming up their plans yet?

I just came to the realization today that this bowl game falls on my wife's birthday.

So, our pregame plans now include a stop at the Sundance Theater for a lunchtime showing of Les Mis (just what gets me pumped up for football). However, this still leaves plenty of time for tailgating or bar action prior to the game. Anyone firming up their plans yet?

We're looking like an unorganized lot. It's sad Aggie11 is having to ask us such basic questions. I'm still wondering about tailgating? Anyone have any ideas? We're game for tailgating anywhere around the stadium.

I know the U athletic office was offering parking passes to the "green" lot. Not sure what the tailgating scene is like at Reliant but this would seem like a logical place for Gopher fans to gather before the game. Can I suggest the "green" lot as a pre-game gather place?

I'd like to buy Aggie11 and his wife birthday drinks and then another round for all the great information posted by Aggie11 leading up to this game.

Hey Aggie, on Sat. I'm driving over to San Antonio to see my undergrad alma mater, Oregon State, take on your arch rival the Steers. Would appreciate some good hints at how to give crap to obnoxious Shorthorn fans and suggestions for places to hang prior to kickoff in SA. Thanks and Merry X-mass.

Would appreciate some good hints at how to give crap to obnoxious Shorthorn fans and suggestions for places to hang prior to kickoff in SA.

It's so wonderful to wake up to such a wonderful Christmas present as someone asking for smack on the Whorns. I'll type out something once the niece and nephew open gifts and we eat breakfast. Asking them if they can pick up the Longhorn Network in their home usually pushes their buttons, as the failed television venture is available only on a limited number of providers.

Although the countdown city is known for the Riverwalk, and you will be sure to find plenty of Beavers prowling around Durty Nelly's, Mad Dog's, or Dicks after the game, the true SA experience is found off of the tourist path.

I've heard that Bevo's balls are stored in the basement of the Alamo. That is to say the drugged up cow's man parts are as fictitious as any lower level to the historic attraction.

Teasip talking points:

Texas Coach Mack Brown tried to recruit the two most recent Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks - as a defensive back and a safety.

Texas AD Deloss Dodds not worried about SEC's Texas presence - "They only have a sliver down the east side."

Trust in Deloss. He knows what he is doing...

TCU was a good replacement for A&M on Thanksgiving (notice the near sold out crowd in the background of the images).

Former Texas QB Vince Young loves TGI Friday's.

The movie Radio was based on Vince Young, right?

This is their current QB:
sipcryfast.gif

685673.jpg

One possible suggestion for the after party for the Alamo Bowl is Sam's Burger Joint/. It's a mile or two due north of the Alamodome. Del Castillo is playing that night, and their music is a unique blend of Spanish and English languages and influences.

If you are up for a bit of a drive, Floore's has Jason Boland and Greune Hall has Roger Creager. Both would give you a Texas dancehall experience.

The bar at the Menger Hotel is worth checking out for its history an atmosphere. It may be a good place to stop by in the early afternoon prior to hitting the tailgate.

Is it the best Mexican food in town? No, but it is open around the clock, so maybe that's why Mi Tierra is a must-stop food destination. Everyone goes here during their visit.

Hit up Magnolia or Guenther House for breakfast the next morning.

The Friendly Spot may be a good place pre- or post-game.

If you like beer, hit up Freetail or Pearl breweries for a tour/drink. Freetail is micro/craft, Pearl has a whole big entertainment district. Lone Star is also in town, but I've never been.

Sorry for the brevity and lack of links. I'm on my phone in the country this morning.

We're looking like an unorganized lot. It's sad Aggie11 is having to ask us such basic questions. I'm still wondering about tailgating? Anyone have any ideas? We're game for tailgating anywhere around the stadium.

I know the U athletic office was offering parking passes to the "green" lot. Not sure what the tailgating scene is like at Reliant but this would seem like a logical place for Gopher fans to gather before the game. Can I suggest the "green" lot as a pre-game gather place?

I'd like to buy Aggie11 and his wife birthday drinks and then another round for all the great information posted by Aggie11 leading up to this game.

I'm on board with the green lot. I thought I saw somewhere that it's $20 and you can get passes at the gate? And lots open 4 hours prior to kickoff? We're driving down, so if we have room, I'm going to try and bring my Gopher chairs, canopy, and bean bag boards, although I highly doubt I will have room for all 3.

Anyone want to go in on a keg and some meat? I can bring a couple small grills, some music, or whatever else is needed.

It would be cool if people posted updates from Houston for those of us unable to make the trip. Atmosphere, activites, etc.

I have a photographer friend who will be on the sidelines for this game. She has agreed to post her entire Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas gallery exclusively on GopherHole for y'all. Stay tuned after the game.

I have a photographer friend who will be on the sidelines for this game. She has agreed to post her entire Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas gallery exclusively on GopherHole for y'all. Stay tuned after the game.

Awesome!! Thanks TexasAggie11!

Anyone want to go in on a keg and some meat? I can bring a couple small grills, some music, or whatever else is needed.

Aggie, are you still looking for people to go in with you on this? My friend and I may be interested. However, we won't have a vehicle - we'll be taking light rail to the stadium. What time are you thinking? What can we bring?

The best deal Spec's has right now is a quarter keg of Ziegenbock for $60. That gives 85~ 12 oz beers for $0.75 per beer. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Ziegen, but it's like a less expensive, slightly smoother Shiner. There are a ton of other options, and I'm open to suggestions.

I wouldn't mind dropping a keg and a grill at a tailgate spot and parking elsewhere or seeing about finding a cheap parking pass online.

If anyone here has a tailgate lot pass, I could also load the keg into your vehicle before the game and meet you there after we ride in on the rail. Again, we're flexible but want to stay on a reasonable budget since I've got a Cotton Bowl trip in a week.

I'm planning on hitting the stadium a little after 3.

I know it may be a bit of a curveball, but I've come across a group of Aggies who are tailgating in the Blue Lot who said Gophers are welcome to join.

We would want to bring food/beer but they would have a tent and setup for those not bringing down a whole tailgate with them.

Hey Aggie, on Sat. I'm driving over to San Antonio to see my undergrad alma mater, Oregon State, take on your arch rival the Steers. Would appreciate some good hints at how to give crap to obnoxious Shorthorn fans and suggestions for places to hang prior to kickoff in SA. Thanks and Merry X-mass.

I hope you're not staying at the Mariott. If so, hide yo' kids, hide yo' wife:

http://www.kens5.com/news/Two-Longhorns-players-accused-of-sexual-assault-San-Antonio-police-say-185042231.html

Midtown: Just to the southwest of downtown. Lots of bars are restaurants. Kind of the trendy area to live. No hotels but this is where my wife and I will go at least one night with friends. Understand that Houston is known for 3 types of food: BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Seafood. From the Seafood angle, try Reef. It's in Midtown and has some of the best food in Houston IMO. (http://www.reefhouston.com/). Also in Midtown is Cyclone Anaya's, a great Tex-Mex place. (www.cycloneanaya.com). Next to Cyclone's are some good sports bars and restaurants. Another good bar is Pub Fiction in Midtown (www.pubfiction.com).

We just had lunch at Cyclone Anaya's. If any other Gophers are still in Houston, I highly recommend this place! Awesome Tex-Mex food!

Top Bottom