Megan on whether Fleck will be here in 5 years

Where would I point to about my views on anyone regarding anything? The New York Times? I don't see reporters as subject matter experts regarding anything other than their trade. Reporting.
you said “I would, and did, say the same thing about hundreds of males”. Another poster asked you for proof of that claim, and you’ve failed to provide anything even remotely close. The only thing we have to go on is your ridiculous take in this thread.

I have no idea what's going on in this thread or what this pertains to but you Sir almost went on the ignore list strictly on principal! Your lucky you said Fran, that's borderline sacrilege! If you had let Alan, Carl, Bud, Fred, Chuck, Randle or All-Day escape your keyboard I fear I'd never hear from you again! As it is, consider yourself on double secret probation for the rest of this quarantine period or until I forget who you are!
I know who Fran Tarkenton is. But whoever you two are referring to is a mystery to me

you said “I would, and did, say the same thing about hundreds of males”. Another poster asked you for proof of that claim, and you’ve failed to provide anything even remotely close. The only thing we have to go on is your ridiculous take in this thread.

Someone else gets it!

Sorry, unless you can point me to something on this board your wife's opinion means nothing to me. #sexist
Oh darn, I was so counting on your love and respect. I have been only posting on this site for several months, not the years needed to provide you with the quotes that would not change your mind.
Any of the 100s of articles that Bleed has linked to would be good examples. Have you ever discussed the qualifications of the reporters of any of them other than for Megan? The reason why people suggest you're being sexist is, perhaps, because you're behaving like a sexist.

As I have said many times, left wing people always resort to name calling rather than discusing the issue. In this case it is the question of whether she is a football expert worthy of being the subject of some sort of interview. Believe it or not, if women are to viewed as serious people then it has to be that their expertise and credentials are open to question just as would be the case with a man. I think both groups, males and females, are only reporters, seldom expert at anythig else. Darn, now I have offended all the other genders.

I think Nadine is the boss, she can have whatever views she wants on anything. But Bleed was not posting the views of a free American expressing her First Amendment rights. He was posting an expert's views on something she clearly indicated she did not want to make a call on in any case. I thought it was lame and just a filler of a filler and said so. Reporters are seldom experts on anything other than reporting. My comment was as much about Bleed as it was about Megan.

Just as a reminder, since you are now shifting your argument to try and make it seem like your issue was with something different. You wrote:

"What is there about Megan that makes her an authority on football, Coach Fleck or, indeed, anything? Isn't she just a young woman working as a sport reporter? Does she live at the Fleck home? Have extensive experience at sport reporting? Has dated a football player once, twice? Seen 28 Gopher football games?"

By that standard there would not be a single person qualified to write about Gopher Football. And yet you think Daniel House is a proven expert and have not gone after Chip as far as I know. But I am sure it has nothing to do with gender.

Gotta love these Veritas threads. Will give you credit for you willingness to stick to your guns and reply to everyone....I guess there is something good about that.....maybe....

And I will go back to something I said earlier. It should tell you something that nobody is coming to your defense or agreeing with you....

Just as a reminder, since you are now shifting your argument to try and make it seem like your issue was with something different. You wrote:

"What is there about Megan that makes her an authority on football, Coach Fleck or, indeed, anything? Isn't she just a young woman working as a sport reporter? Does she live at the Fleck home? Have extensive experience at sport reporting? Has dated a football player once, twice? Seen 28 Gopher football games?"

By that standard there would not be a single person qualified to write about Gopher Football. And yet you think Daniel House is a proven expert and have not gone after Chip as far as I know. But I am sure it has nothing to do with gender.

Gotta love these Veritas threads. Will give you credit for you willingness to stick to your guns and reply to everyone....I guess there is something good about that.....maybe....

And I will go back to something I said earlier. It should tell you something that nobody is coming to your defense or agreeing with you....

The KKK was so popular in the 1920's that President Harding (or was it Coolidge?) joined up in the Oval Office. Hitler was immensely popular in Germany in 1940. Popularity is a mighty low bar for an intelligent person to aspire to. PS Thank you for quoting me accurately but I think you have missed my point. I was not writing about her freedom to write. I was asking what made her an expert worthy of noticing her opinions above any other persons, including Chips. In any case Bleed has gotten exactly what he wanted, more hits, more posts, etc. You are welcome.

So, what makes her an expert on football? Or Fleck? Or is it just that she is a female and therefore must be accepted as an expert no matter what she does or does not do? I would, and did, say exactly the same thing about hundreds of males in the news business who have no claim to any knowledge about what they report on. There are just reporters. Get it?
another hit for ignore

The KKK was so popular in the 1920's that President Harding (or was it Coolidge?) joined up in the Oval Office. Hitler was immensely popular in Germany in 1940. Popularity is a mighty low bar for an intelligent person to aspire to. PS Thank you for quoting me accurately but I think you have missed my point. I was not writing about her freedom to write. I was asking what made her an expert worthy of noticing her opinions above any other persons, including Chips. In any case Bleed has gotten exactly what he wanted, more hits, more posts, etc. You are welcome.

......Wow.........WTF? :)

Congrats....I give up....there is no reasoning with you. Good luck to any of the others in this thread that try.....Veritas is one of a kind.....

As I have said many times, left wing people always resort to name calling rather than discusing the issue. In this case it is the question of whether she is a football expert worthy of being the subject of some sort of interview. Believe it or not, if women are to viewed as serious people then it has to be that their expertise and credentials are open to question just as would be the case with a man. I think both groups, males and females, are only reporters, seldom expert at anythig else. Darn, now I have offended all the other genders.

Well, she is a beat reporter for the home town team. What she decides to comment on in a blog post does carry weight as it pertains to the team because of her position, insight, and relationships she's formed on the job - which, coincidentally, this forum is dedicated to discussing.

You've claimed you've made similar comments about the qualifications of other male reporters, but with 1500 comments on this forum, and with years with Chip, Myron, Fuller, Greder, and countless other males that have been beat writers in the past, there's not one example you point to that supports your claim that you've made similar comments of past male reporters. So, if you don't want to be called a sexist, stop acting like a sexist. If it makes you feel better by dismissing the criticism as being with a "left wing" slant without taking any responsibility for your actions and viewpoints, all the power to you.

For decades I have had no respect for sport journalist as experts on sports. I go back into the 1950's and don't recall anyone at that time interviewing a reporter as an expert on anything other than on the business of reporting.
There's a reasonable chance that you've cracked the Mount Rushmore of all-time terrible posters on this site.

And by the way, perhaps you've heard of a couple little shows called Face the Nation (on the air since 1954) and Meet the Press (on the air since 1947) in which journalists are interviewed for their expert thoughts and opinions.

If you want to focus just on sports, I'm quite sure you remember The Sports Reporters (on the air beginning in 1988).

And if you can find your way over to YouTube, you can enjoy literally dozens of interviews with Walter Cronkite, Ed Bradley, Peter Jennings, Paul Harvey, David Brinkley, etc. As in, they're being interviewed for their views on the world. As in, what you claimed you've never witnessed in all your many years.

Keep posting though, even though I don't think you believe half of what you write because nobody can be this consistently wrong on purpose.

What is there about Megan that makes her an authority on football, Coach Fleck or, indeed, anything? Isn't she just a young woman working as a sport reporter? Does she live at the Fleck home? Have extensive experience at sport reporting? Has dated a football player once, twice? Seen 28 Gopher football games? What regarding what? Megan's thoughts for today about nuclear war with North Korea?

Just when I think I have this thread figured out, it turns in a new direction.

Reading Megan's response her answer is, and she confirms this later, "
Oh darn, I was so counting on your love and respect. I have been only posting on this site for several months, not the years needed to provide you with the quotes that would not change your mind.

I had no idea you saw Mr. Trump as a left wing person. Good to know.

Reading Megan's response her answer is, and she confirms this later, "

I had no idea you saw Mr. Trump as a left wing person. Good to know.
You took the converse of veritas's claim. He said that all left wing people resort to name calling; not that all name caller's are left wingers.

What is there about Megan that makes her an authority on football, Coach Fleck or, indeed, anything? Isn't she just a young woman working as a sport reporter? Does she live at the Fleck home? Have extensive experience at sport reporting? Has dated a football player once, twice? Seen 28 Gopher football games? What regarding what? Megan's thoughts for today about nuclear war with North Korea?

Did you forgot to take your meds again?

Man, please lighten up on Meghan. For once, the Strib has someone doing positive extensive coverage of Gopher Football. Yes, some of it is vanilla. I don't expect her to be perfect.

Stay positive. It will lower your blood pressure.

Did you forgot to take your meds again?

Man, please lighten up on Meghan. For once, the Strib has someone doing positive extensive coverage of Gopher Football. Yes, some of it is vanilla. I don't expect her to be perfect.

Stay positive. It will lower your blood pressure.

Thank you for your concern but I have never had hig blood presure in my life. Lucky me. As I have not spent one penny on the Red Star in 25 years now I do not care what they do. I just don't like to see reporters treated as the experts they are not, nine times out of ten. They are just reporters.

There's a reasonable chance that you've cracked the Mount Rushmore of all-time terrible posters on this site.

And by the way, perhaps you've heard of a couple little shows called Face the Nation (on the air since 1954) and Meet the Press (on the air since 1947) in which journalists are interviewed for their expert thoughts and opinions.

If you want to focus just on sports, I'm quite sure you remember The Sports Reporters (on the air beginning in 1988).

And if you can find your way over to YouTube, you can enjoy literally dozens of interviews with Walter Cronkite, Ed Bradley, Peter Jennings, Paul Harvey, David Brinkley, etc. As in, they're being interviewed for their views on the world. As in, what you claimed you've never witnessed in all your many years.

Keep posting though, even though I don't think you believe half of what you write because nobody can be this consistently wrong on purpose.

Let me try for the tenth time. IMO a reporter interviewing a reporter is not news at all, it is a pure opinion piece. Accurate news is good, an opinion piece with a person who knows nothing about anything is just an opinion. And I will stick to what I said about journalism in the 1950's and early 60's. I never saw the main news programs on the main half hour news shows interview another news person unless the story was directly about the news business. If you want an expert opinion, ask an expert person. The Sunday shows were always opinion fillers. I am glad Megan gives you guys lots of warm fuzzies about Gopher Love, etc. I am also glad to here that you think she is not as stupid as some of the guy sport "jounalists". But, I also give her high marks for admitting to us that she had no clue whatsoever what Fleck would be doing in the future. Why would anyone think she would know without writing it up herself; after all that is what she is, A REPORTER, not an expert.

I count almost a decade of Sports Reporting, and not just in Minnesota, but in Texas and Pennsylvania as well. Plus other experience in other areas of Journalism and a Journalism degree from the U. Seems pretty qualified to give an opinion on this matter to me . . .

And that is exactly what I would expect a journalist to say. "We are experts on sports." You did notice, I would hope, that she did say that she did not have a clue what he would do. Just what I would expect she knew before reading the piece.

We need a policeman on some of these threads. Bleed maybe you can get these threads back to normal. Absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom