Megan on whether Fleck will be here in 5 years

Megan Ryan has prior experience covering College FB - including covering Penn State for a paper in Pittsburgh.

and BTW, I believe Daniel House is a recent graduate of the U of M. He's in his early 20's. this is NOT a personal criticism of House - just pointing out that he is younger and has less real-world experience than Ryan.

Yes, but Daniel knows football or have you failed to notice that? Most modern reporters are nowhere near experts at anything they write about. They just report the news as they told. I much prefer those who have a real subject degree and or real world experiance.

Why is it sexist to state the obvious about a young journalist? This one, that one, almost all of them. Compare any to someone like Daniel House and what do you see? One knows and can explain, one neither knows nor can offer any insight at all. If Bleed interviews one we get something. Interview the other and we get what?

"Has dated a football player once, twice?"

You just implied she got her job because she dated a football player or two. Pathetic

Oh come on....you directly challenged her qualifications and asked if she had dated a football player.

Should tell you something when literally nobody is coming to your defense or agrees with your take....it should tell you something, but we all know based on your past posting history that it won't.

I read her two posted remarks today and both said nothing other than the truth that she knew nothing about that subject. Fair enough on her part. Perhaps the comments saying nothing should not have been posted at all. But I saw no expertise or knowledge of the subjects in either posting. So, what makes her an expert? Or am I not allowed to ask that?

Yes, but Daniel knows football or have you failed to notice that? Most modern reporters are nowhere near experts at anything they write about. They just report the news as they told. I much prefer those who have a real subject degree and or real world experiance.

While nobody would dispute that Daniel House knows a lot about football are you trying to imply that Megan doesn't? She has been hired in two different states to cover the local college football team in a print medium which is not making decisions based on the person's appearance but rather on their ability to write and their knowledge of the subject matter. So she must have some clue what she is talking about.

"Has dated a football player once, twice?"

You just implied she got her job because she dated a football player or two. Pathetic

So, what makes her an expert on football? Or Fleck? Or is it just that she is a female and therefore must be accepted as an expert no matter what she does or does not do? I would, and did, say exactly the same thing about hundreds of males in the news business who have no claim to any knowledge about what they report on. There are just reporters. Get it?

While nobody would dispute that Daniel House knows a lot about football are you trying to imply that Megan doesn't? She has been hired in two different states to cover the local college football team in a print medium which is not making decisions based on the person's appearance but rather on their ability to write and their knowledge of the subject matter. So she must have some clue what she is talking about.
Add to that fact that she's writing for a newspaper to an audience of the masses. She's not on a fan website doing deep dives into football theory. She needs to write to her audience, which in the Strib is largely casual fans.

I would, and did, say exactly the same thing about hundreds of males in the news business who have no claim to any knowledge about what they report on. There are just reporters. Get it?
Can you point to me where you have questioned whether a male got a sports reporting job based on who they dated? I'll hang up and wait for a reply.

Must they? Or is it that the young ones are just cheap? I have said it now several times. I much prefer people who actually know what they are writing about. I hate to see young reporters thought of as any sort of experts about anything they know little to very little about.

Add to that fact that she's writing for a newspaper to an audience of the masses. She's not on a fan website doing deep dives into football theory. She needs to write to her audience, which in the Strib is largely casual fans.

Fine, don't quote as any sort of expert on either topic above. She is just a reporter.

So, what makes her an expert on football? Or Fleck? Or is it just that she is a female and therefore must be accepted as an expert no matter what she does or does not do? I would, and did, say exactly the same thing about hundreds of males in the news business who have no claim to any knowledge about what they report on. There are just reporters. Get it?
So are you saying they didn't hire the best person for the job? If so, you weren't part of the interview committee so let it go. If not, then what are you saying? And why are you saying it?

I had him on ignore...then I took him off ignore. Time to reconsider that.

Must they? Or is it that the young ones are just cheap? I have said it now several times. I much prefer people who actually know what they are writing about. I hate to see young reporters thought of as any sort of experts about anything they know little to very little about.

Ok, I'll bite.....what qualifications would she need to have for you to consider her an expert on the subject of football and therefore worthy of your time?

Can you point to me where you have questioned whether a male got a sports reporting job based on who they dated? I'll hang up and wait for a reply.

My wife says I say that all the time. For decades I have had no respect for sport journalist as experts on sports. I go back into the 1950's and don't recall anyone at that time interviewing a reporter as an expert on anything other than on the business of reporting. Now, every single day on every single medium I get to watch or read a 25 year old person with a journalism degree telling me what I should think about economics, medicine, military affairs, political strategies, Constitutional law, college football, astrophics and one thousand other issues. When did Walter Cronkite (CBS), Chet Hudley (NBC) or Bob Reynolds (ABC) ever do that once? Megan is not a football expert just because she is a female. IMHO, she should not be interviewed as any sort of expert. Nor should any male who has her lack of expertise.

I get this is a "Mailbag" quick hit thing, but the response was a little pointless. Something like "people I talk to say he truly likes it here" or "a few people have said he would leave for a couple jobs, but isn't looking" or whatever would have added substance. Just saying you don't know is pointless. Choose a different question. Of course nobody besides PJ and likely Heather Fleck know for sure, but it would have been nice to get some sort of deeper explanation. Even just a "I think there's a good chance he's here because there aren't a lot of better jobs and I don't see one that's a good fit." I don't know what anyone will do - thanks Captain Obvious!

Give me a person who actually understands the game of football, like our own Dan House. But more than that, this is a thing about reporters interviewing reporters as experts on what they are reporting on. Almost never happened when I was young and now it is being done all the time.
My wife knows more about football than you Veritas. She can talk schemes, philosophies and anything football related. Megan is around the team and the staff as part of her job. Im sure she has a feel for everything that goes on around the program. You, on the other hand, get all pissed off when someone in front of you stands for the game. I will read her stuff with far more credibility that the garbage you spew..

Ok, I'll bite.....what qualifications would she need to have for you to consider her an expert on the subject of football and therefore worthy of your time?

A demostration of knowledge or a extensive resume of experiance in the field. For example, Daniel House shows knowledge of the field all the time. Fran Tarkington played QB for many years at a very high level. Again, a reporter is only that: in time an expert at reporting.

A demostration of knowledge or a extensive resume of experiance in the field. For example, Daniel House shows knowledge of the field all the time. Fran Tarkington played QB for many years at a very high level. Again, a reporter is only that: in time an expert at reporting.

So this piece aside which was just a puff Q&A filler and not ever meant to be a hard hitting piece of journalism.

Do you believe Megan does not understand the game of football and is therefore not qualified to write about it? Because I have read a lot of the stories she has written and she seems to be very knowledgable about the game of football.

Megan probably has the same amount of playing experience as Nadine (aka gopherlady) how do you feel about her qualifications to discuss football and give opinions about it?

My wife says I say that all the time. For decades I have had no respect for sport journalist as experts on sports. I go back into the 1950's and don't recall anyone at that time interviewing a reporter as an expert on anything other than on the business of reporting. Now, every single day on every single medium I get to watch or read a 25 year old person with a journalism degree telling me what I should think about economics, medicine, military affairs, political strategies, Constitutional law, college football, astrophics and one thousand other issues. When did Walter Cronkite (CBS), Chet Hudley (NBC) or Bob Reynolds (ABC) ever do that once? Megan is not a football expert just because she is a female. IMHO, she should not be interviewed as any sort of expert. Nor should any male who has her lack of expertise.

Sorry, unless you can point me to something on this board your wife's opinion means nothing to me. #sexist

While i don’t agree with veritas take on Megan. Your is as judgmental as he is on her..

We are not allowed to challenge anything a female does without being called sexist. And you know that as well as I do. Indeed, I was never allowed to challenge Marcus Fuller's (sp?) views on Gopher BB matters because that was "obviously racist". What else do they have other than name calling"

This is a really long-winded way of saying “no, I cannot point to a time where I have questioned the qualifications of a male reporter”

Who the hell is Fran Tarkington?

So this piece aside which was just a puff Q&A filler and not ever meant to be a hard hitting piece of journalism.

Do you believe Megan does not understand the game of football and is therefore not qualified to write about it? Because I have read a lot of the stories she has written and she seems to be very knowledgable about the game of football.

Megan probably has the same amount of playing experience as Nadine (aka gopherlady) how do you feel about her qualifications to discuss football and give opinions about it?

I think Nadine is the boss, she can have whatever views she wants on anything. But Bleed was not posting the views of a free American expressing her First Amendment rights. He was posting an expert's views on something she clearly indicated she did not want to make a call on in any case. I thought it was lame and just a filler of a filler and said so. Reporters are seldom experts on anything other than reporting. My comment was as much about Bleed as it was about Megan.

This is a really long-winded way of saying “no, I cannot point to a time where I have questioned the qualifications of a male reporter”

Where would I point to about my views on anyone regarding anything? The New York Times? I don't see reporters as subject matter experts regarding anything other than their trade. Reporting.

Who the hell is Fran Tarkington?
I have no idea what's going on in this thread or what this pertains to but you Sir almost went on the ignore list strictly on principal! Your lucky you said Fran, that's borderline sacrilege! If you had let Alan, Carl, Bud, Fred, Chuck, Randle or All-Day escape your keyboard I fear I'd never hear from you again! As it is, consider yourself on double secret probation for the rest of this quarantine period or until I forget who you are!

Where would I point to about my views on anyone regarding anything? The New York Times? I don't see reporters as subject matter experts regarding anything other than their trade. Reporting.
Any of the 100s of articles that Bleed has linked to would be good examples. Have you ever discussed the qualifications of the reporters of any of them other than for Megan? The reason why people suggest you're being sexist is, perhaps, because you're behaving like a sexist.

Top Bottom