Meatsauce on KFAN

For actual sports talk, Skor North is better. They're pretty light on the Gophers however and have beaten the Ben Simmons trade talk to death for months which has gotten old.
I think they are certainly sports fans so their commentary on things is usually much better. But yeah, it gets old. Everything they do is for YOUTUBE clips (which is smart but they just aren't very good at it). But yeah, it does get old.

I listed to SKOR for the couple months after rebrand before they got shut down to 1 hour of local content per day.

It's an example of why you can't talk sports 24/7.
How often can you discuss Kirk Cousins or a Ben Simmons trade that may never happen?

KFAN learned this years ago and it's why it's worked for them. You think you're listening to sports radio, but KFAN has about as much sports as ESPN television does.
They still do a couple hours per day in podcast form and have a couple non-sports segments. And a fair amount with Reusse. It's amusing how wound up he can still get about the Twins /MLB even in a lost season.

as far as Skor North, the good thing about the Podcast format is that you - as the listener - can pick and choose what you want to listen to and when you want to listen.

the regular "Mackey and Judd" podcast generally has a range of topics. They have Doogie on twice a week with "scoops."

then they do separate podcasts focusing on baseball, hockey, and a lot of Vikings content. Plus they do some shorter "rapping with Reusse" segments a couple of times a week.

so at least, if you don't want to hear them talk about the Vikings, or the Wolves, you don't have to listen.

I rarely listen. Only thing I catch on KFAN with any regularity is Dan Barreiro and sometimes KFAN is still on the dial when I head to work the next morning. Sludge has really come a long ways from his Sludge/Lake days and is a pretty good traffic cop on the show and moves things along. I've always liked Hawkey. Meat Sauce serves as combination punching bag/non-sequitur king. I sometimes make a point of catching the initials game, which is usually pretty entertaining.

I don't know where this puts me (probably in an asylum somewhere), but I do miss Common's old call-in format, which was obviously reined in by the higher-ups. Cast of characters (Hunting Gal, World's Greatest Irons Player, Vomit Guy, Pat the Glasses Guy, Johnny Kane, etc.) could be really entertaining. I'm way old and WWTC AM 1280 (now the Patriot) used to be a news talk radio station back in the 1970s and there was a night time host--Ed Cain--who ran a similar bit with his sports talk show that only briefly touched on serious sports angles and featured callers that were absolutely hilarious. I don't know if that was Common's original blueprint, but he could have done worse.

Last edited:

I rarely listen. Only thing I catch on KFAN with any regularity is Dan Barreiro and sometimes KFAN is still on the dial when I head to work the next morning. Sludge has really come a long ways from his Sludge/Lake days and is a pretty good traffic cop on the show and moves things along. I've always liked Hawkey. Meat Sauce serves as combination punching bag/non-sequitur king. I sometimes make a point of catching the initials game, which is usually pretty entertaining.

I don't know where this puts me (probably in asylum somewhere), but I do miss Common's old call-in format, which was obviously reined in by the higher-ups. Cast of characters (Hunting Gal, World's Greatest Irons Player, Vomit Guy, Pat the Glasses Guy, Johnny Kane, etc.) could be really entertaining. I'm way old and WWTC AM 1280 (now the Patriot) used to be a news talk radio station back in the 1970s and there was a night time host--Ed Cain--who ran a similar bit with his sports talk show that only briefly touched on serious sports angles and featured callers that were absolutely hilarious. I don't know if that was Common's original blueprint, but he could have done worse.
Yeah, back when I listed to KFAN, I liked the call-in format on Common. I like it on the late night sports shows and I used to really like Coast to Coast.

Yeah, back when I listed to KFAN, I liked the call-in format on Common. I like it on the late night sports shows and I used to really like Coast to Coast.
Was that "Farrell on the Bench?" He was pretty awesome and KFAN almost landed him. He was national and he had a petty solid stable of callers, a lot of them just weird enough to be funny without worrying about the safety of their neighborhood.

Was that "Farrell on the Bench?" He was pretty awesome and KFAN almost landed him. He was national and he had a petty solid stable of callers, a lot of them just weird enough to be funny without worrying about the safety of their neighborhood.
Yeah, he was great. I think he was on the O&A channel on Sirius back in the day (maybe it was Howard's whoo whoo).

Fleck needs to get himself in studio with the Power Trip. It would be a great way to promote the team. Ben Johnson has already made a couple appearances. Played initials once....and then was in the studio yesterday to talk about the first game of the season. Since Chris Hawkey had never been to the Barn.....they invited him to come to the game, tour the facility, shoot around on the court prior, and Johnson even invited him up into the "huddle" during a timeout. Sure enough.....Hawkey spent around a half an hour this morning raving about the team and Williams Arena and about how he's now a big fan of the team. Mentioned that there is a possibility of getting a Power Trip section for a game or two. Just really good promotion on the most popular radio show in Minnesota. In fact....the podcast of the show continues to absolutely destroy too. Just checked the Iheartradio rankings.....they hit #24 this past week. That's ridiculous when you consider most of the podcasts on that list are either national shows or celebrity hosted podcasts.

It's fine to do a weekly thing with PA.....but that's a Vikings show. Become friends with the guys on the Power Trip and the coverage will increase.

Meatsauce almost lost it on the air when a certain rune came and commented on lambert’s big head. Not so told him to tune em out. Odd for a guy who chose a public life.

Top Bottom