Meatsauce on KFAN

Just curious, do other major markets have sports radio talk shows hosted by “characters”? I honestly don’t know. All I know is that format must not be targeted at my demographic because I find it pretty much unlistenable.
The target demographic is the last 20 years' product of American education: dumb and ignorant.

Just curious, do other major markets have sports radio talk shows hosted by “characters”? I honestly don’t know. All I know is that format must not be targeted at my demographic because I find it pretty much unlistenable.

I'd guess that it is the type of thing that many markets shoot for. Maybe it's just my opinion....but early in the morning when I'm getting ready for and driving to work....I don't want to listen to hard sports talk. I like something to wake me up....and straight sports talk doesn't do it.

I think it's that they don't follow college athletics on KFAN because they really aren't very good at their jobs.
If they talk more sports on KFAN I quit listening, I like that its just a bit of sports and lots of other stuff. Can't stand PA because its all purple Kool aid all the time.

I’ve noticed the Meatsauce schtick is to take the anti-Gopher stance at every turn. I don’t have a problem when any writer or “personality” says something critical of the Gophers if they can back it with objective opinion or have proven to be balanced about the program in the past. That isn’t Meatsauce. He is one of those guys (like I often see from many Viking fans on Twitter) that act like the Gophers are some sort of threat. I don’t know what it is. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with people that haven’t been to college. The whole concept of college sports is distasteful to them, and locally taking it out on the Gophers makes them somehow feel more relevant.
Hes speaking for alot ot West Suburban ppl who are MN natives but chose to go to Madison or Iowa City because it was cool. They then move back to the metro and proceed to rip on UMN.

It's all a bit. I really actually think Meatsauce doesnt mind MN. However he just going with the "bit"

I think it's that they don't follow college athletics on KFAN because they really aren't very good at their jobs. So instead of actually following it (it's kind of popular) they'd rather just do this like dim-witted bashing of it.

I also get that they have decent ratings but I think they are leaving an immense amount of meat on the bones. I know a ton of massive sports fans who used to listen to KFAN and have turned it off because of the idiocy on the channel. I actually don't know anyone in real life who listens to them anymore. Again, I understand radio bits and I understand that have decent ratings, I just think they'd do much better if they had on decent talent.

As to your last point, sure, I understand that. If you don't like them, you can just turn them off. But this is kind of what people do on message boards. In fact, you're doing the exact same thing (commenting on something you disagree with that you could have simply ignored).
There is another sports radio station to listen to, so you have a choice.

I listen to KFAN pretty frequently, in my car. I can't say I'm a fan of the morning show (I'm 65 years old, I'm not their demographic, and am not partial to fart jokes) but I do sometimes enjoy PA, Common (for what he does) and Barriero, for his guests and even sometimes his takes.

I wouldn't consider any of them my "go-to" source for Gopher sports, by a long shot, but that's okay. That's what GopherHole is for.

The morning show is unlistenable, just don't listen

The morning show is unlistenable, just don't listen
I enjoy the KFAN morning show. I probably flip back and forth 50/50 between them and 93X.

Not a fan of PA (don't care for his cutesy stuff and don't need 3 hours of Vikings talk every day). Common is good in small doses. Barreiro is good if he's not talking sports. Sports he's really predictable and shows he doesn't actually do any research or even watch the games.

The Power Trip is great. It’s easy, dumb humor for the morning drive. That said, if you’re offended by anything Meatsauce says, the show is definitely not for you.

After listening to KFAN nearly every day since 2003 I stopped listening to KFAN about 6 years ago when I moved out of state and didn't miss it. I think like another poster said when the PA & Dubay show went sideways after Dubay's drug issues and the Sludge & Lake show ended the whole station lost some appeal for me. Of course, maybe I just got older too.

After listening to KFAN nearly every day since 2003 I stopped listening to KFAN about 6 years ago when I moved out of state and didn't miss it. I think like another poster said when the PA & Dubay show went sideways after Dubay's drug issues and the Sludge & Lake show ended the whole station lost some appeal for me. Of course, maybe I just got older too.
It's funny because I think of radio as mostly an older person thing...

The Power Trip is great. It’s easy, dumb humor for the morning drive. That said, if you’re offended by anything Meatsauce says, the show is definitely not for you.
I think there's a difference between "offended" and hearing something and responding "that's dumb..."

Never have been a fan of his. If I never hear "_________ wails."
I won't be sad. He says it all the time.

I enjoy the KFAN morning show. I probably flip back and forth 50/50 between them and 93X.

Not a fan of PA (don't care for his cutesy stuff and don't need 3 hours of Vikings talk every day). Common is good in small doses. Barreiro is good if he's not talking sports. Sports he's really predictable and shows he doesn't actually do any research or even watch the games.
This sums up my thoughts on KFAN, other than I hate the morning show. Common and Barreiro ok at times (non sports like you said).

Seriously, you guys need to realize that 80%ish of that show is a bit with the exaggerated characters they play and 20% is them actually being real. Meatsauce doesn't hate the Gophers, he's being dramatic to get people to laugh/get worked up. That's what drives content for them. If you don't like it turn it off, but getting legitimately annoyed by someone's radio bit is dumb.
If all of that is true, then what a weird world we live in.

Most morning shows traffic in dumbass comedy. I'm not sure why, but they seem to think dumb is somehow edgy and unique. It isn't. It's simply dumb (catering to the lowest common denominator). And it's a regular practice in commercial broadcasting. KFAN is chalked full of such programming.

Most morning shows traffic in dumbass comedy. I'm not sure why, but they seem to think dumb is somehow edgy and unique. It isn't. It's simply dumb (catering to the lowest common denominator). And it's a regular practice in commercial broadcasting. KFAN is chalked full of such programming.

I think you've got it all wrong. The reason why their ratings are so good is because they don't talk sports for three and a half hours. It's tedious to listen to stat talk when you are stretching things out that much. The Power Trip has rounded out a nice mix of sports, news, and general entertainment talk to keep things from getting boring. And they have a great selection of weekly guests who ARE knowledgeable on their respective sports. Leber for the Vikings, Bonnes for the Twins, Parish for the Wild, Marnie Gellner covers both the T-Wolves and the Twins, Conzemius/Tommy Olson for Gophers football, Rosen has decent knowledge of most teams.....etc.

Good point. Though some of the Crew's distain for the Gophers comes from their "You know we're the VIKINGS station right?" Bet if they forget that, management will remind them.

Where is Steve Cannon when you need him?

Probably like anyone over the last 50 years, alive or dead, you can find him online somewhere. Much like all the present radio programs and newspapers. Stuff that people don't listen to or read, but know about.

Funny huh?

Seriously, you guys need to realize that 80%ish of that show is a bit with the exaggerated characters they play and 20% is them actually being real. Meatsauce doesn't hate the Gophers, he's being dramatic to get people to laugh/get worked up. That's what drives content for them. If you don't like it turn it off, but getting legitimately annoyed by someone's radio bit is dumb.

I think it's closer to 50/50. I think every bit of their character is derived from some sort of truth about the guy. Hawkey isn't nearly as horny as he comes off.....and Meatsauce isn't quite as stupid as he acts. Corey is the obvious "straight guy" on the show.

Crazy Ira and the Douche from Parks and Recreation

Oh but that Greg Swedberg is a radio genius ….. except it’s the same shows across the country and places where the commute to and from work is the longest (Houston and mpls ) looooooove radio

I think it's closer to 50/50. I think every bit of their character is derived from some sort of truth about the guy. Hawkey isn't nearly as horny as he comes off.....and Meatsauce isn't quite as stupid as he acts. Corey is the obvious "straight guy" on the show.

Crazy Ira and the Douche from Parks and Recreation

China Joe seems a bit dead inside...

Hes speaking for alot ot West Suburban ppl who are MN natives but chose to go to Madison or Iowa City because it was cool. They then move back to the metro and proceed to rip on UMN.

It's all a bit. I really actually think Meatsauce doesnt mind MN. However he just going with the "bit"
This is actually a pretty good observation. Going back even 30 years when I was going to college, the U was never the cool choice to go to school, and when I was in high school, it was never cool to root for the Gophers or wear Gopher gear. Sauce is playing to that role.

The goal is hitting the masses and they do. I can listen to the show and correlate each of the "characters" to friends or people in my real life. Next time you're sitting around with your friends having a conversation, you will be able to make the connection. It's real life.

I only listen to Gopher talk and really can't stand x's and o's of any other team in town. I enjoy the non sports discussions.

Top Bottom