Meatsauce on KFAN

State of Football

Reaction score
The guy takes shots at PJ every chance he gets. Friday he says he’d pick PJ going to USC versus another Nat’l championship. The good thing is he’s as dumb as Power Trip’s producer Zach Halverson. I’m sure he’s tugging at Fat Pat’s schtick. It just gets old being the flagship station. I do like Tommy Olson taking his money.

Looking forward to him taking his lack of talent elsewhere.

He doesn't like PJ's schtick. But if you listen to the Power Trip.....those guys bust on basically every team in MN. The good thing is that Tommy Olson is a regular guest and Justin Conzemius is on every Thursday for a full segment to talk Gophers during the season. It would be nice if they could get JG on once per week too. And I'm pretty sure that Chris Hawkey is legitimately a Gopher football fan.

They’re all fans. They get better ratings when their content is winning.

I’ve noticed the Meatsauce schtick is to take the anti-Gopher stance at every turn. I don’t have a problem when any writer or “personality” says something critical of the Gophers if they can back it with objective opinion or have proven to be balanced about the program in the past. That isn’t Meatsauce. He is one of those guys (like I often see from many Viking fans on Twitter) that act like the Gophers are some sort of threat. I don’t know what it is. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with people that haven’t been to college. The whole concept of college sports is distasteful to them, and locally taking it out on the Gophers makes them somehow feel more relevant.

I’ve noticed the Meatsauce schtick is to take the anti-Gopher stance at every turn. I don’t have a problem when any writer or “personality” says something critical of the Gophers if they can back it with objective opinion or have proven to be balanced about the program in the past. That isn’t Meatsauce. He is one of those guys (like I often see from many Viking fans on Twitter) that act like the Gophers are some sort of threat. I don’t know what it is. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with people that haven’t been to college. The whole concept of college sports is distasteful to them, and locally taking it out on the Gophers makes them somehow feel more relevant.
I think you nailed it. Hates anything close to higher education.

The guy takes shots at PJ every chance he gets. Friday he says he’d pick PJ going to USC versus another Nat’l championship. The good thing is he’s as dumb as Power Trip’s producer Zach Halverson. I’m sure he’s tugging at Fat Pat’s schtick. It just gets old being the flagship station. I do like Tommy Olson taking his money.

Looking forward to him taking his lack of talent elsewhere.
Its all an act. Its fake. Its a character. He is just trying to get people going and you are proof that it works. The Meatsauce character also thinks Babe Ruth didn't exist.

Also btw does anyone else remember when Gopherlady Nadine did a radio show with Meatsauce Paul Lambert? I do!

Its all an act. Its fake. Its a character. He is just trying to get people going and you are proof that it works. The Meatsauce character also thinks Babe Ruth didn't exist.

Yup. People need to lighten up and not take him.....or any of the three regulars on the show too seriously.

Seriously, you guys need to realize that 80%ish of that show is a bit with the exaggerated characters they play and 20% is them actually being real. Meatsauce doesn't hate the Gophers, he's being dramatic to get people to laugh/get worked up. That's what drives content for them. If you don't like it turn it off, but getting legitimately annoyed by someone's radio bit is dumb.

They should get Fleck to do the initials game. Willing to bet MS comes away with a man-crush.

Seriously, you guys need to realize that 80%ish of that show is a bit with the exaggerated characters they play and 20% is them actually being real. Meatsauce doesn't hate the Gophers, he's being dramatic to get people to laugh/get worked up. That's what drives content for them. If you don't like it turn it off, but getting legitimately annoyed by someone's radio bit is dumb.
when you’re dumb you’re dumb. Listen to him on Vikings pre and post game. Not a bright man.

My favorite was when the Meatsauce character's wife was caught cheating on him and Rubechat figured it out, so he threatened a huge lawsuit and got Rubechat pulled off of Kfan.com. That was his funniest bit.

As for the rest of his bit, I get it's a character but it's just not a very interesting one.

I think it's that they don't follow college athletics on KFAN because they really aren't very good at their jobs. So instead of actually following it (it's kind of popular) they'd rather just do this like dim-witted bashing of it.

I also get that they have decent ratings but I think they are leaving an immense amount of meat on the bones. I know a ton of massive sports fans who used to listen to KFAN and have turned it off because of the idiocy on the channel. I actually don't know anyone in real life who listens to them anymore. Again, I understand radio bits and I understand that have decent ratings, I just think they'd do much better if they had on decent talent.

As to your last point, sure, I understand that. If you don't like them, you can just turn them off. But this is kind of what people do on message boards. In fact, you're doing the exact same thing (commenting on something you disagree with that you could have simply ignored).

Just curious, do other major markets have sports radio talk shows hosted by “characters”? I honestly don’t know. All I know is that format must not be targeted at my demographic because I find it pretty much unlistenable.

Just curious, do other major markets have sports radio talk shows hosted by “characters”? I honestly don’t know. All I know is that format must not be targeted at my demographic because I find it pretty much unlistenable.
Honestly, not as much as KFAN.

But KFAN is really popular. In my opinion, KFAN was pretty good about 15 years ago but if kind of lost it after Jeff Dubay's problems. The timing was perfect though. Sports radio was getting much bigger, they were moved to FM, and they sort of filled the vacuum left by KQ's deteriorating relevance. So they do have good ratings, but IMO, they are leaving an immense amount of meat on the bones. I think their staffing will only make it more impossible for them to compete with podcasts and other (better) digital options.

Of all the places I've lived, the biggest thing that stands out to me about KFAN is the lack of actual sports fans on the show. Sludge (for better or worse) can actually coherently talk about most sports including college. I don't know if they employ another person who can. I know they stink, but the Timberwolves/NBA coverage is as bad as the Gopher stuff.

Howard Stern...(not sports but definitely characters)

Also, aren't guys like Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless basically characters?

I've never listened to this show, so I don't know. But it sounds like the inbred version of "SEC Shorts".

I think it's that they don't follow college athletics on KFAN because they really aren't very good at their jobs. So instead of actually following it (it's kind of popular) they'd rather just do this like dim-witted bashing of it.

I also get that they have decent ratings but I think they are leaving an immense amount of meat on the bones. I know a ton of massive sports fans who used to listen to KFAN and have turned it off because of the idiocy on the channel. I actually don't know anyone in real life who listens to them anymore. Again, I understand radio bits and I understand that have decent ratings, I just think they'd do much better if they had on decent talent.

As to your last point, sure, I understand that. If you don't like them, you can just turn them off. But this is kind of what people do on message boards. In fact, you're doing the exact same thing (commenting on something you disagree with that you could have simply ignored).
Decent ratings?

The whole show is schematic. They do the same set up nationwide. Wiseacre and a clown and a good guy. It’s everywhere.

I think you've got it all wrong. The reason why their ratings are so good is because they don't talk sports for three and a half hours. It's tedious to listen to stat talk when you are stretching things out that much. The Power Trip has rounded out a nice mix of sports, news, and general entertainment talk to keep things from getting boring. And they have a great selection of weekly guests who ARE knowledgeable on their respective sports. Leber for the Vikings, Bonnes for the Twins, Parish for the Wild, Marnie Gellner covers both the T-Wolves and the Twins, Conzemius/Tommy Olson for Gophers football, Rosen has decent knowledge of most teams.....etc.

Top Bottom