McCaffrey, Warner, Farniok leaving Frosty

He does A LOT wrong but has a long leash. That program is really struggling under him though.
Agree that he has a long leash. But not a forever leash. They're building a new $150M football complex next to the stadium? Something like that.

My wild guess is that some amount of boosters feel something like: "if we can't make it work under this guy [Frost] ...... then this really is the end. We'll never be a major football school again."

A beloved former player and alumni, who had an awesome season at Central Florida. No one is going to be more passionate about returning Husker football to the glory of the late 90's.

If he can't do it .... then who can??

I personally really do believe that even Nick Saban can't just pick up and go to any P5 school and turn it into a national championship program. There's more to it than just him being him.

I believe he would not be able to get the elite of elite players at Nebraska, or Minnesota, or Washington State, or etc. etc. There's something like a cabal on landing the elite of the elite. The top 5 or 10 get most of those players, no matter what.

It's a nearly impossible barrier of entry, to get over that last hurdle. Ask Wisconsin. They just can't get over that last hurdle to get to Ohio St's level, because while they get great players, they can't get the elite of the elite players to come to Madison at the rate and consistency needed to get to that highest level.

I think Lincoln is the same deal. I think Osborne bent rules and maybe even broke them, to get players that wouldn't be possible to get now.

NDSU is getting 4 star QB's to transfer in, they are doing pretty good.

NDSU is getting 4 star QB's to transfer in, they are doing pretty good.
Why haven't they done the same thing Liberty did, and ask the NCAA for a waiver to move to FBS as an independent?

There is nothing stopping them from doing that, except that they don't have the courage to go down that path, in my opinion.

If Boise and maybe San Diego St move on from the MWC in football, it could make sense for NDSU to get a football-only invite to the MWC, while keeping Boise for other sports. Who knows what is going to happen there.

They could no longer get crooks admitted to Nebraska like they did under Tom Osborne. NCAA rules have tightened up since that era.

Nebraska's luck ran out after leaving the Big 12. It wasn't too far ago since they won the National Championship under Frank Solich in 1999 1997 (1998 Orange Bowl).

Being Big 12 Division Champions 2008-2010, in 2011 they thought they can steamroll their way into the Big Ten under Bo Pellini. They became Big Ten Legends Champion in 2012. Optimism was high until the wheels came off between Nebraska and its coach. I missed Faux Pellini.

Pellini compiled a 67-27 (38-17 Big Ten) record before he was fired before the end of the 2014 season.

In the first year 2011, 24th ranked Nebraska (5-3, 9-4) finish 3rd behind Legends champion Michigan State and Michigan.

The following year 25th ranked Nebraska (7-1, 10-4) won the Legends Division title. That will be the last time Nebraska had a sniff of a Big Ten Title. In 2014, the Big Ten was realigned into Big Ten East and West. Not much luck there. Pellini was fired a game before the end of the season.

Pellini was replaced by Mike Riley (2015-2017) who fared much worst with 19-19 (12-14) overall record before they decided to fire him and replace him with the Husker former QB messiah Scott Frost.

So far since 2018, Frost compiled a 12-20 (9-17) record. You have to give Frost the benefit of the doubt at least for a couple of seasons. He sure can recruit. His lowest recruiting class was ranked 23rd.

On paper, the dismal result from the three last coaches is not for the dearth of recruiting:

Pellini:
2011 16th, 88.32, 245.60
2012 32th, 87.91, 213.77
2013 22th, 86.75, 220.72
2014 35th, 84.95, 200.24

Riley:
2015 30th, 86.16, 211.72
2016 26th, 86.86, 216.76
2017 23rd, 87.81, 224.23

Frost:
2018 23rd, 87.70, 227.95
2019 17th, 88.50, 245.10
2020 20th, 88.46, 242.99
2021 20th, 87.65, 216.52

How do you explain Nebraska consistently getting top recruiting classes and not bearing the fruits of their efforts? They've got talent.

Scott Frost and Nebraska have a lot of figuring out to do. Losing so many players through transfers is one thing. Figuring out what is wrong inherently inside the program is a bigger issue. If Frost can figure it out, Nebraska can right their ship. Nebraska AD Bill Moos has his back. But, not for long if he has a couple more dismal seasons.

Last edited:

Wan’dale was “forced” out not only because of his mother’s illness, but by how Frost arguably misused him. Because Nebby has almost no worthwhile depth at RB (forcing their QB to run 15 times a game), Wan’dale—at the same height as Mo but 30 pounds lighter—had to line up at RB a dozen times a game. Worse, to avoid predictability, they used Wan’dale on RUTM several times a game. Poor guy was getting beaten silly by giant DL and B1G LBs on inside scrums—when what he wanted to do, and was built to for, was to play WR. Why endure a couple more seasons of that craziness? Frost’s inability to hold onto or assimilate highly-rated “game breaker” recruits, forced him to use a slender 185 lb guy as his number 2 RB. Bad for Wan’dale’s health, and failed to display Wan’dale’s NFL talents in the most favorable light.

Wan’dale was “forced” out not only because of his mother’s illness, but by how Frost arguably misused him. Because Nebby has almost no worthwhile depth at RB (forcing their QB to run 15 times a game), Wan’dale—at the same height as Mo but 30 pounds lighter—had to line up at RB a dozen times a game. Worse, to avoid predictability, they used Wan’dale on RUTM several times a game. Poor guy was getting beaten silly by giant DL and B1G LBs on inside scrums—when what he wanted to do, and was built to for, was to play WR. Why endure a couple more seasons of that craziness? Frost’s inability to hold onto or assimilate highly-rated “game breaker” recruits, forced him to use a slender 185 lb guy as his number 2 RB. Bad for Wan’dale’s health, and failed to display Wan’dale’s NFL talents in the most favorable light.

Is this what they did to JD Spielman too? He was pretty beat up physically and mentally.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant in the eyes of Nebraska fans it seems he can do no wrong.

I wouldn't say no wrong, but there is a reason Frost is getting a 4th year when his record is significantly worse than Mike Riley, who was fired after 3.

But if Nebraska fails to reach a bowl game again this season, Frost will be gone too.

Is this what they did to JD Spielman too? He was pretty beat up physically and mentally.
You may be right. I think Frost, because so many of his highly-rated skill position recruits quickly transfer or fail to pan out, might push some hyper-talented smaller guys into physical situations they shouldn’t be in (on a long term basis, anyway), causing them emotional injury as well as physical ones. PJ has a team therapist to work with players on emotional issues—very wise. Not sure if Frost has anything like that.

I wouldn't say no wrong, but there is a reason Frost is getting a 4th year when his record is significantly worse than Mike Riley, who was fired after 3.

But if Nebraska fails to reach a bowl game again this season, Frost will be gone too.
I visit a Nebraska board regularly to observe. I would say a majority of the commentators now consider Frost a failed coach who is actually worse than his “failed” immediate predecessors. They are really down in Frost, because he can’t seem to hold onto, develop or properly utilize top-rated recruits—and on Adrian Martinez, because he can’t complete a pass more than 15 yards downfield (inaccuracy). And they are down on Moos, the AD who gave Frost a very long-term contract, making him extremely expensive to fire. Frost’s honeymoon in Nebraska is officially over, seriously. He is on the hot seat. Of course, if Frost has a good 2021 season, all will be forgiven and he will again be raised to demi-god status in Lincoln.

You may be right. I think Frost, because so many of his highly-rated skill position recruits quickly transfer or fail to pan out, might push some hyper-talented smaller guys into physical situations they shouldn’t be in (on a long term basis, anyway), causing them emotional injury as well as physical ones. PJ has a team therapist to work with players on emotional issues—very wise. Not sure if Frost has anything like that.

Whatever happen to player development? The Black Shirts turned half-washed?

Great things are happening in Nebby. I don’t want this show to end.

Nebraska's luck ran out after leaving the Big 12. It wasn't too far ago since they won the National Championship under Frank Solich in 1999.

Being Big 12 champions 2008-2010, in 2011 they thought they can steamroll their way into the Big Ten under Bo Pellini.

Serious question, did you just make this post up from thin air?

Nebraska didn't win the National Championship in 1999, nor did they win the Big 12 in 2008, 2009, or 2010.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see one or both of the Mccaffrey boys playing for their dad at Northern Colorado

Nebraska didn't win the National Championship in 1999, nor did they win the Big 12 in 2008, 2009, or 2010.

I stand corrected.

They are Division Champions 2008-2010. Oklahoma was Conference Champions in 2008 and 2010. Texas in 2009. They were B1G Legends Division Champions in 2012.

They won the 1997 National Championship in the 1998 Orange Bowl defeating Tennessee 42-17. Scott Frost was the quarterback.

I apparently have trouble reading and seeing things.

I stand corrected.

They are Division Champions 2008-2010. Oklahoma was Conference Champions in 2008 and 2010. Texas in 2009. They were B1G Legends Division Champions in 2012.

They won the 1997 National Championship in the 1998 Orange Bowl defeating Tennessee 42-17. Scott Frost was the quarterback.

I apparently have trouble reading and seeing things.
In your defense, Frank Solich was the coach in 1999. :)

In your defense, Frank Solich was the coach in 1999. :)

Correct.

My eye vision change was another Covid casualty. I have the worst trouble tracking the lines when reading now. I finally got a new prescription! It is just a matter of getting it filled when I can leave my house.

You weren't that far off, though. In 1999, they went 12-1. Their lone was was at Texas in the regular season. They then beat Texas in the Big XII championship game, and went on to win the Fiesta Bowl over Tennessee to finish ranked #3 in the AP poll and #2 in the coaches poll.

Florida State and VT were undefeated, so there was no way 1-loss Neb was going to sneak into the natty. If they had the playoff back then, who knows ....

And as you already said, in 2008-2010 they were division champions, though they tied for it in 08 and 10. Didn't go to the champ game in 08. In 09 they lost to Texas by 1 pt, very controversially. In 10 they lost by 3pts to Oklahoma.

Still pretty good back then. Nowadays .... Nebraska is like Illinois in football.

the last few posts on this thread is reminding me of the Michigan game we lost at the dome under Mase

Why did Nebraska players Luke McCaffrey, Kurt Warner's son Kade and others transfer? On KJZ Progressive Show, 1/29/2021

I don't think losing these 3 is going to be a big loss for Nebraska. Farniok and Warner were never going to be starters and Luke isn't a very good QB.

I wonder if they throw this2020 season out...give him four regular years.

I don't think losing these 3 is going to be a big loss for Nebraska. Farniok and Warner were never going to be starters and Luke isn't a very good QB.
Definitely looks bad though, because of the names. I think that's the big deal that's being made out of it, honestly. But what you say is right. Luke is a great athlete, obviously. So was Robinson, of course.

They could no longer get crooks admitted to Nebraska like they did under Tom Osborne. NCAA rules have tightened up since that era.

Nebraska's luck ran out after leaving the Big 12. It wasn't too far ago since they won the National Championship under Frank Solich in 1999 1997 (1998 Orange Bowl).

Being Big 12 Division Champions 2008-2010, in 2011 they thought they can steamroll their way into the Big Ten under Bo Pellini. They became Big Ten Legends Champion in 2012. Optimism was high until the wheels came off between Nebraska and its coach. I missed Faux Pellini.

Pellini compiled a 67-27 (38-17 Big Ten) record before he was fired before the end of the 2014 season.

In the first year 2011, 24th ranked Nebraska (5-3, 9-4) finish 3rd behind Legends champion Michigan State and Michigan.

The following year 25th ranked Nebraska (7-1, 10-4) won the Legends Division title. That will be the last time Nebraska had a sniff of a Big Ten Title. In 2014, the Big Ten was realigned into Big Ten East and West. Not much luck there. Pellini was fired a game before the end of the season.

Pellini was replaced by Mike Riley (2015-2017) who fared much worst with 19-19 (12-14) overall record before they decided to fire him and replace him with the Husker former QB messiah Scott Frost.

So far since 2018, Frost compiled a 12-20 (9-17) record. You have to give Frost the benefit of the doubt at least for a couple of seasons. He sure can recruit. His lowest recruiting class was ranked 23rd.

On paper, the dismal result from the three last coaches is not for the dearth of recruiting:

Pellini:
2011 16th, 88.32, 245.60
2012 32th, 87.91, 213.77
2013 22th, 86.75, 220.72
2014 35th, 84.95, 200.24

Riley:
2015 30th, 86.16, 211.72
2016 26th, 86.86, 216.76
2017 23rd, 87.81, 224.23

Frost:
2018 23rd, 87.70, 227.95
2019 17th, 88.50, 245.10
2020 20th, 88.46, 242.99
2021 20th, 87.65, 216.52

How do you explain Nebraska consistently getting top recruiting classes and not bearing the fruits of their efforts? They've got talent.

Scott Frost and Nebraska have a lot of figuring out to do. Losing so many players through transfers is one thing. Figuring out what is wrong inherently inside the program is a bigger issue. If Frost can figure it out, Nebraska can right their ship. Nebraska AD Bill Moos has his back. But, not for long if he has a couple more dismal seasons.
Good post.

Argh - I thought it was a good post and it would have been if it had been accurate....small details.

I wonder if they throw this2020 season out...give him four regular years.

Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, and Mike Riley all won 9 games within their first 3 years and were fired. I'm not sure how you keep Frost if he fails to even go to a bowl game in his first 4 years, even if one of those was a strange season. He's had plenty of talent to work with.

Nebraska's schedule is brutal again next season too. Their crossovers are Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St. They also play Oklahoma and Buffalo in the non-conference.

Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, and Mike Riley all won 9 games within their first 3 years and were fired. I'm not sure how you keep Frost if he fails to even go to a bowl game in his first 4 years, even if one of those was a strange season. He's had plenty of talent to work with.

Nebraska's schedule is brutal again next season too. Their crossovers are Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St. They also play Oklahoma and Buffalo in the non-conference.
Mainly because he is Frost.

Top Bottom