Matt Miller on Tyler Johnson: Rd 6-7; He’s not fast. He’s not big. He’s not getting good character reports

I think misinterpreted what I said largely because I made a mistake about Kill/Claeys. My point was that Tyler didn't play much as a freshman for a terrible passing team with a limited WR depth chart. Tyler played in 7 games and had 14 catches as a Freshman. It wass not intended to be a shot at anyone's character and quite the opposite, I was attempting to point out how far Tyler had come from his Freshman year to now and how unlikely that would be achieved by a player with "poor character".

Great find on Miller having Tyler as a first rounder previously NorthBurbsGopher!

One thing to mention about Tyler is he has accepted an invitation to the Shrine Bowl which typically features players who end up going in the later rounds or become UDFA's. It seems likely that Miller's (current) evaluation of Tyler the player is correct as it pertains to how he's viewed by the NFL. Obviously, plenty of players outperform their draft position and the traits Tyler lacks (specifically size speed ratio) are ones that are typically highly valued in the draft process.

He played in all 13. It was a completely different offense. He was a QB in high school. You should probably just stop.

I think misinterpreted what I said largely because I made a mistake about Kill/Claeys. My point was that Tyler didn't play much as a freshman for a terrible passing team with a limited WR depth chart. Tyler played in 7 games and had 14 catches as a Freshman. It wass not intended to be a shot at anyone's character and quite the opposite, I was attempting to point out how far Tyler had come from his Freshman year to now and how unlikely that would be achieved by a player with "poor character".

Great find on Miller having Tyler as a first rounder previously NorthBurbsGopher!

One thing to mention about Tyler is he has accepted an invitation to the Shrine Bowl which typically features players who end up going in the later rounds or become UDFA's. It seems likely that Miller's (current) evaluation of Tyler the player is correct as it pertains to how he's viewed by the NFL. Obviously, plenty of players outperform their draft position and the traits Tyler lacks (specifically size speed ratio) are ones that are typically highly valued in the draft process.
He played in all 13 games, was a true freshman, and had never played WR in his life. Literally no one was shocked by his lack of targets or receptions. He should have been redshirted. Your stance on this is truly bizarre.

He played in all 13 games, was a true freshman, and had never played WR in his life. Literally no one was shocked by his lack of targets or receptions. He should have been redshirted. Your stance on this is truly bizarre.

But not an attempted shot at Kill :rolleyes:

Huh? Freshman in 2016, so not Kill. TJ was a QB in high school, so a year to transition would not be unusual. Played in all 13 games his freshman year.
I remember Tyler making a big catch and great run after at Lincoln when he was a freshman. He got the Gophers into scoring position to win that game.

If TJ falls that far in the draft he would be the steal of the draft. One of the best route runners in the nation no way he falls that far. He would be a solid third receiver on the Vikings loaded receiver group!

Here’s a little something that won’t be news to anyone reading this. You can recruit/draft/sign all the Athelethes (as Brewster glowingly called them) you want, football players win you games. For years I have said I don’t care how fast you can run or how high you can jump. Can you catch a football, tackle in the open field or cover 1 on 1? That’s what I want. Size and speed are highly overrated. Give me football players who make plays.

Last edited:

What on earth is Millen talking about with the bad character reports?

You would think we would have heard something about bad character if he has indeed received multiple reports. Sounds a little fishy.

I don't recall him having any discipline issues while at the U, he wasn't a part of any of the scandals, and he's making the most of his educational opportunity finishing his degree at the U. He's also served as an awesome role model for an underrepresented part of the Twin Cities (North MPLS). The bad character comment is straight slanderous.

He's not fast? What's his 40 yd dash time? A little data would be helpful instead of gratuitous assertions.

And even if true, he still gets open and most importantly, Catches The Ball.

His 40 time most likely won't be 4.4 but the kid is crazy athletic! Huge vertical, exceptional quickness (which in my opinion is the most important trait because it leads to outstanding route running). His drops are his biggest concern but he does everything else well. I don't think there are character flaws as PJ would have disciplined him. 6th-7th round seems really low. I see him as a 3rd-4th rounder because the depth of this receiving class with upside to go higher if he runs surprisingly fast.

Honestly the only knock on him is he's got the dropsies way too often. Other than that he is one of the best in the nation at everything else.

Surprised TJ did not get a Senior Bowl invite.
But, there are a lot of highly rated WRs in this draft.

His 40 time most likely won't be 4.4 but the kid is crazy athletic! Huge vertical, exceptional quickness (which in my opinion is the most important trait because it leads to outstanding route running). His drops are his biggest concern but he does everything else well. I don't think there are character flaws as PJ would have disciplined him. 6th-7th round seems really low. I see him as a 3rd-4th rounder because the depth of this receiving class with upside to go higher if he runs surprisingly fast.
Most of the predictions I've read are round 2-3.

I've posted this before, but he reminds me of a Michael Thomas 'light'. Michael Thomas wasn't a burner with his 40 time at the combine (believe he was upper 4.5's and close to 4.6) or at tOSU, but has supreme athletic ability, is a exceptional route runner and has a great catch radius. Also has GREAT hands. Ty has a very similar skill set, albeit maybe not quite as high as Thomas. Just my uneducated thoughts on it.

Tyler Johnson doesn't need a bunch of strangers getting defensive on his behalf. He's doing a great job making his own case on the field.

Another explanation for the dumbfounded character assassination from Matt Miller is he was simply taken in by an NFL scout who sees high value in Tyler Johnson, and is spreading negative rumors so his team has a better chance to draft TJ.

This type of shenanigan has been rumored before, but something that is hard to prove. I would hope that Miller would confirm such a negative before posting it; unfortunately, that seems to be the new standard in all journalism.

Bad passing? Won 9 games Set records and won the holiday bowl.

If scouts are stupid enough to not watch game film and see that Tyler:

1. Can run precise routes
2. Get get separation at the LOS almost every time
3. Can and willingly block
4. Can high point a jump ball
5. Can manhandle a DB ala the poor Penn st kid who he arm wrestled while catching the pass one handed

Well then they are a sh**** scout and the vikes should get him in late rounds.

Did someone mention Jerry Kill? I didn’t really catch what was said, but I must defend him.

Brick by Brick > Row the Boat

Miller still not impressed:

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Vikings draft him? Maybe he will quietly slip down rounds with so many WRs either graduating or coming out early. It is nice to see home grown talent.

This is typical downsell to make him a fantasy football sleeper/darling.

Top Bottom