***Maryland @ MN - Saturday 1/23. Terp Time - OFFICIAL THREAD***

12% from three for players not named Carr.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Curry continues to get significant minutes. Mitchell or insert ____ has to be better based off their athleticism alone at this point. He is a nonfactor offensively and defensively he just can't do it anymore.
Pitino always buries guys on the bench for no reason and then we end up wit 3+ transfers every year.

Frustrating game to watch. Mashburn played well and Johnson did too, but really not until the end. Still too much dribbling by Carr which leads to bad shots late in the shot clock. Mix that with poor shooting overall and you have this as a result. Credit to Maryland, they played tough D to force some of this. I just thought out of the gate, they looked sloppy and not into the game. Lazy passes to guys overplaying the passing lane and lack of hustle dug them a hole they couldn't get out of. Think about the intensity they came out with vs Michigan (particularly on D), then look at this. Disappointing.

12% from three for players not named Carr.
That 12% doesn't even tell the story. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many awful shots. "Air ball" is being too kind.

Well, this time I think Pat Reusse got it right:

The bipolar basketball team strikes again!

Maybe we can get a court order to force them to take their meds.

The playing time is just weird. Freeman gets a couple minutes lately in several games and looks competent. So today with Robbins out for most of it he doesn’t play? WTF?
Pitino clearly views Freeman as the distant 3rd option behind Robbins and Curry. In the times Freeman has played meaningful minutes, it was because Robbins got in foul trouble early and Curry needed a quick break after being on the court for several minutes straight. I agree that he has looked competent though, and I think he should be a close, not distant, 3rd option to Curry.

I'll bet tomorrow will find Gabe in the gym putting up 500 shots.

Overall, I am much more disappointed than I am surprised. Pitino didn't have a good gameplan today and the team wasn't ready to play. That's especially concerning since they had a week to prepare for Maryland. I just would love some evidence of consistency in this program. The defense that was so strong against Michigan was really, really bad in the first half leading to the early deficit. This loss essentially ended any hope of a B1G championship (no I didn't think it was happening, but the league is wide open) this year and you wouldn't have known it by the way they came out for this game.

In the second half, Pitino needed to realize this wasn't an Eric Curry game. If Robbins was struggling to find a matchup out there, the current version of Eric Curry has no chance to guard anyone and he doesn't bring any offensive upside. Brandon Johnson needed to be playing Center and I would have move Gach up to 4 to at least attempt to match up athletically. Pitino has pretty consistently resisted going small througout his tenure so it's not a surprise. I also felt like Pitino waited too long to put Robbins back in. When he finally did put him back in he also put in Tre Williams for his first minutes of the day which is just...odd.

Overall, I am much more disappointed than I am surprised. Pitino didn't have a good gameplan today and the team wasn't ready to play. That's especially concerning since they had a week to prepare for Maryland. I just would love some evidence of consistency in this program. The defense that was so strong against Michigan was really, really bad in the first half leading to the early deficit. This loss essentially ended any hope of a B1G championship (no I didn't think it was happening, but the league is wide open) this year and you wouldn't have known it by the way they came out for this game.

In the second half, Pitino needed to realize this wasn't an Eric Curry game. If Robbins was struggling to find a matchup out there, the current version of Eric Curry has no chance to guard anyone and he doesn't bring any offensive upside. Brandon Johnson needed to be playing Center and I would have move Gach up to 4 to at least attempt to match up athletically. Pitino has pretty consistently resisted going small througout his tenure so it's not a surprise. I also felt like Pitino waited too long to put Robbins back in. When he finally did put him back in he also put in Tre Williams for his first minutes of the day which is just...odd.
Good post here EG.
Didn't read through this entire thread as the game was bad enough to sit and watch.
When Robbins went out early in the second I thought it would be a good time to go smaller and have Carr, Mashburn, Gabe or Both, Ihnen and Johnson on the floor to see if something else could maybe spark them. Hell even put Mitchell out there as he knocked down a couple shots vs. Michigan. Bad shooting and too much dribbling were not going to get us back in the game. We needed to try something different.

This is how I feel, too. Since the Michigan game I've been curious whether this team had actually found themselves defensively or if the effort and intensity in the Michigan game was an aberration. We have now found that out.

RP clearly was out coached and had no fall back once the terps doubled on Liam and controlled the perimeter. All RP had to offer was launching three's and we saw how that went. I fully expected Mash to play the majority of the second half as he was the only one other than Carr to be able to generate some offense. But that was not going to happen with predictable RP.

Going into the game I posted that I was concerned that we didn't match up well with Md. As EG stated, who would Liam guard? The Terps were smart forcing Liam to guard the perimeter and obviously the other options RP threw out there had the same issue. Plus Md's perimeter players were are all similar, 6/5-6/7, strong with long arms and were very capable of controlling the perimeter. Carr could not control Ayala and they basically traded points. Gabe did a fine job holding down Wiggins which we have learned to expect from him. I do give credit to the guys for giving a solid effort on D the second half.

Its amazing how many here are calling for RP to install a system based on ball movement, screens, back screens, shuffle cuts, a few high/lows, put Carr off the ball to create a weakside opp, run set plays to feature a matchup, etc. But it doesn't happen. I was also surprised that Liam was not able to establish a solid low post position against much smaller players. He made liitle effort and seemed OK with getting the ball 10-12 feet from the hoop where he is much easily defended and 2 timed.

I, like others, would love to attend a practice. What is keeping Mash, Mitchell and Freeman from more PT? Are they that unprepared? What keeps RP giving huge minutes to Gach. How much time do they practice boxing out? How well does Gabe shoot? Are they working with Ihnen on an inside game and ball handling?

RP deserves a lot of flack. But so do the players. The only ones I give a pass to are Mash, Carr (offense), Gabe (D) and Johnson. The others need to find ways to overcome their ineptness.

The ball on offense was never swung side to side. It stopped at top of key and maybe went back to the side it came from. We never made their defense work.

Carr needs to be a team player and play within the game like Michigan game. Hero ball doesn’t work and have seen that too often. Hero ball has a negative impact on the rest of the team. The other players are worried about getting their shots and then you see them take bad shots. They rush because they know they won’t get the ball again. Happened way too much yesterday.

The ball on offense was never swung side to side. It stopped at top of key and maybe went back to the side it came from. We never made their defense work.

Carr needs to be a team player and play within the game like Michigan game. Hero ball doesn’t work and have seen that too often. Hero ball has a negative impact on the rest of the team. The other players are worried about getting their shots and then you see them take bad shots. They rush because they know they won’t get the ball again. Happened way too much yesterday.

Exactly. They were fresh the whole game because we never made them move.

Let's be honest here. Carr and Robbins have made Pitino look good so far. If they don't almost completely win the game itself, we are going to struggle.

Move, move, move. Set picks, move the ball.

This isn't hard. This is a power 5 conference Division 1 basketball team.

I watched roughly 0 seconds of this game. I looked at the box score and am not mad about it. Saw some "highlights" on BTN late night. Looked to be some weak fouls on Robbins to start the 2nd. Looked like they got down early and forced 3s for 36 minutes.

Am I missing anything?

I show up every game and wanted Pitino gone last year.
Same. There was a solid hour last year when I believed he had been fired. After one late season dumpster fire blowout, my brother sent me an article with a deceptive title. I was on the road, only glimpsing the headline.
a few minutes later I had totally moved on mentally from this lost era. I had come to terms with his firing and was already seeing other people. Pitino and his familia were specks in my rear view.

How disappointed I was to find out he hadn’t been fired

Top Bottom