***Maryland @ MN - Saturday 1/23. Terp Time - OFFICIAL THREAD***

Terribly played game but also terribly coached game by Pitino. With his guys clearly in a funk he should have been looking to play the subs for a few minutes even in the first half to provide energy. Then the incredibly selfish play of Marcus Carr. He should have been benched and talked to about team play. He dribbled the life right out of the ball and the team.
This

It drives me crazy watching Pitino when the team is playing atrocious. He literally just let's it happen and the game becomes so hard to watch. There is zero in game coaching taking place from the head coach... IMHO. Yes, I admit, I have no idea what is being said BUT I can clearly observe how he interacts with the players having horrible games. He completely leaves them alone AND worst of all... he leaves them out there which denies the team any chance for a come back. Why not stick other players in there. Wake up call to the starters perhaps, but he never does it and that is one reason why he's got so many B1G losses. His refusal to replace the starters if they suck. Who knows, it might actually light a fire under some of these guys... but we'll never know.

Last edited:

Terribly played game but also terribly coached game by Pitino. With his guys clearly in a funk he should have been looking to play the subs for a few minutes even in the first half to provide energy. Then the incredibly selfish play of Marcus Carr. He should have been benched and talked to about team play. He dribbled the life right out of the ball and the team.
Careful. When Dakich says that the place explodes. Even if it’s true.

This game had literally 0 redeeming qualities. I don’t know the last time I watched anything worse. Every single player and coach need to reassess their place on the team.

Carr had zero assists
I was going to respond with the fact that the Gophers only had 8 assists as a team. But then I realized they only made 14 FG the whole game. 😬

Yeah would have like to see Mitchell, Freeman, and Williams in the first half

Careful. When Dakich says that the place explodes. Even if it’s true.

This game had literally 0 redeeming qualities. I don’t know the last time I watched anything worse. Every single player and coach need to reassess their place on the team.
I thought Johnson and Mash played well

The playing time is just weird. Freeman gets a couple minutes lately in several games and looks competent. So today with Robbins out for most of it he doesn’t play? WTF?

Tre Williams? You just never know if he is part of the rotation or not. I’m sure he doesn’t either.

I mean, what is the plan?

Carr must have dribbled 1600 times today. What are the odds the next game the announcer says after kalscheur misses a 3 that hes struggled this year, but he'll have a good shooting game coming up soon. I've been waiting like 75 games now!

If Martice Mitchell can’t even get a shot for a minute or two in a game like this, then either he is a complete waste of scholarship or the coaching staff is clueless about how to coach their own players. After this many years, I tend to believe it is the latter.
I worry about him transferring too.

Carr had zero assists
AND?!!?

Are we watching the same game? Gabe was 0 For what seemed like 10, Robbins was a nonfactor even before foul trouble. I mean what is he supposed to do?

If Martice Mitchell can’t even get a shot for a minute or two in a game like this, then either he is a complete waste of scholarship or the coaching staff is clueless about how to coach their own players. After this many years, I tend to believe it is the latter.
I cannot for the life of me understand why Curry continues to get significant minutes. Mitchell or insert ____ has to be better based off their athleticism alone at this point. He is a nonfactor offensively and defensively he just can't do it anymore.

Haven't been able to watch much this year, but when I do, they don't play well.

Ugh.

I don't know how you can be trailing by 9-12 points around halftime, and simply not get good shots on the offensive side.

Isn't there something in the players heads where they are thinking "We really need to get a couple points on this or the next possession."

Frustrating to watch (and listen to) such bad basketball.
MD couldn't shoot free throws and the end, and they expand their lead.

Even in a down year by their standards...Maryland is a proud program with tradition. They lost a guy to the lottery, but any one that follows them knows they always have talent on that bench. They were disrespected early in this thread by some posters. Now here we are. Need to rebound from this one. Everything still in front front of the Gophers.

My favorite thing about this is that Pitino recently said that Mitchell has the most nba upside on the team! Which i agree either means the staff is terrible or hes a total waste and Pitino has to cover that up to look smart

A good coached team doesn’t have this many horrible games. We take so many stupid shots. Ihnen’s 3 in the second half was sooo bad. Lots of dribbling and little passing.

I’ve said it before and will say it again: we’re always going to see games like this under Pitino. Completely unprepared and no adjustments.

If people are ragging on Carr, they haven't watched Pitino era guard play the last 8 years. When we can't get post touches, we prayed that Mason or Coffey could bail out an offensive possession. There's minimal off ball movement or action being run to create good looks. It's post dump ins from a wing, it's hi lo action or it's save us Marcus.

Even in a down year by their standards...Maryland is a proud program with tradition. They lost a guy to the lottery, but any one that follows them knows they always have talent on that bench. They were disrespected early in this thread by some posters. Now here we are. Need to rebound from this one. Everything still in front front of the Gophers.
Booo this man!

The playing time is just weird. Freeman gets a couple minutes lately in several games and looks competent. So today with Robbins out for most of it he doesn’t play? WTF?

Tre Williams? You just never know if he is part of the rotation or not. I’m sure he doesn’t either.

I mean, what is the plan?

For at least part of the game it kinda looked like Maryland was playing 5 out and forcing Robbins away from the basket on defense. Maybe the staff is more comfortable with Curry, Ihnen, or Johnson defending on the perimeter instead of Freeman.

Top Bottom