Mark Coyle Press Conference Thread

I have no faith in this dipwad whatsoever. He and Kaler have ruined this program. He is full of crap and anyone who doesnt see that is blind. We will be crap until they are both gone.

Yup. Coyle is a jerk, and apparently has no one lined up, hence doing the Maturi/Mason disaster all over again. Under him, I have no expectation at all that the Gophers will play "at the highest level." They were on their way, though, with Claeys and his coaches.

Because they don't understand that buyouts are in the contract?

I don't think it is listenters fault. The people asking questions in the room clearly didn't understand. Maybe he should have put it clearer but I thought he was pretty clear that they weren't firing him for cause. They were honoring his contract.

I did understand the buyouts, and i was still confused. Thats why the media member gave a specific question on buyout money, and Coyle still said "NO, we will honor his full contract"

Yup. Coyle is a jerk, and apparently has no one lined up, hence doing the Maturi/Mason disaster all over again. Under him, I have no expectation at all that the Gophers will play "at the highest level." They were on their way, though, with Claeys and his coaches.

I'm not ready to believe yet that he doesn't have someone lined up. I don't want to believe it. Man I hope he isn't that much of a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listening to the press conference i took it as Claeys was getting his full 3 million. One of the media members asked Coyle if Claeys was going to be getting the buyout in his contract, and he responded no we will honor his full contract. Why do you respond with that when it was clearly asked if Claeys was getting buyout money. Pretty easy to see why people were confused.

That was the only way to take his answer.

To the question ""When you say will you honor the contract in full for Tracy and the coaches" His answer was "We will honor the contract in full for Tracy and the assistants".

By tying Claeys and the Assistants together he got across the point he was trying to make. The impression that they all would get a year's pay.

Not sure why he did it that way, but your interpretation was the result.

I did understand the buyouts, and i was still confused. Thats why the media member gave a specific question on buyout money, and Coyle still said "NO, we will honor his full contract"

Question I heard was "are you firing him for cause"

answer was
"We are honoring his contract"

Firing for cause implies no payment, hence his initial response the way it was. But people clearly didn't get that he meant buyout.

That was the only way to take his answer.

To the question ""When you say will you honor the contract in full for Tracy and the coaches" His answer was "We will honor the contract in full for Tracy and the assistants".

By tying Claeys and the Assistants together he got across the point he was trying to make. The impression that they all would get a year's pay.

Not sure why he did it that way, but your interpretation was the result.

The earlier question was about firing for cause.

You do if you know they put buyouts in coaching contracts

Don't think it's a big deal either. Don't think Coyle has been great in this, but to say he lied there is flat wrong

Just was purposefully unclear

Just was purposefully unclear

The earlier question was about firing for cause. He answered how he should have "honor the contract"

Media didn't get it, asked again with different wording...he didn't change his. Maybe purposefully, maybe carefully

The more I think about this, the more I think that this COULD be a personal matter between Coyle & Claeys....ie Coyle does not like Claeys, and wants to make "his" hire and always did & 9/2 and the EOAA timing and media driven PC uproar made it possible to act on it.

Classroom work is there: 3-3.2 team GPA. APR is top class, success on the field.... other than 9/2, great progress on off field issues since the Kill/Claeys hires....

I just get a whiff of a personal thing going on....the stink was wafting around the press conference.

And Coyle has no one in the wings to step in and save us with national signing day on the horizon. Good luck fella.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this COULD be a personal matter between Coyle & Claeys....ie Coyle does not like Claeys, and wants to make "his" hire and always did & 9/2 and the EOAA timing and media driven PC uproar made it possible to act on it.

Classroom work is there: 3-3.2 team GPA. APR is top class, success on the field.... other than 9/2, great progress on off field issues since the Kill/Claeys hires....

I just get a whiff of a personal thing going on....the stink was wafting around the press conference.

And Coyle has no one in the wings to step in and save us with national signing day on the horizon. Good luck fella.

This is my guess. Who knows. Doesn't matter, I guess.

A week after the biggest Bowl win in decades, from under his desk it sounds to Coyle like the shelling has started to lighten up; time to get out there and lead!

The "contract " as I understand it from conversations in San Diego was 3,000,000 for Claeys and the whole coaching staff. So I'm assuming Coyle is referring to that "contract"

So after the WI he came out saying he supported Claeys and is working on an extension. Today he made it seem like the firing had a lot to do with the on field stuff.

So after the WI he came out saying he supported Claeys and is working on an extension. Today he made it seem like the firing had a lot to do with the on field stuff.

Yup. And not saying it until after the Wisconsin game tells me they wanted to do it too, just didn't think they had the political capital to do it.

Was really surprised they didn't announce an extension after the Purdue game

He threw me off here and sounded like there was trouble all year when speaking tonight.

He also said there are things he can't discuss. He said the contract would be honored and it will be. I took that as Claeys will be paid his buyout per the contract. This is not hard to understand. Coyle never said he would be paid $3.1M. Joe C. is stirring the pot and Barreiro is too.

No school would ever pay the full $3.1 million and if they thought that's what he was saying, they're morons.

I understand someone listening not understanding it, but Joe C. and Rosen should know better.

It came from bad questioning

They asked about "for cause"
He said they'd keep to "the contract"

And then for some reason local media kept asking over and over and Coyle never rephrased. It made it look like he was hiding something but really he was just answering the for cause question still.

He threw me off here and sounded like there was trouble all year when speaking tonight.

Well of course he massaged the events to fit his "transparency and truth first" narrative. He does want to sleep at night. There's more to this story and it will come out...and make him and Kaler look even less truthful. He lost me when he spoke of truth and integrity.

Yes, his statement was BS. The part about the public confusing legal issues and the student code of conduct or whatever it is, is also BS. It was briefly discussed on here, and I'm sure other places, that there may be "double jeopardy" but it was quickly refuted - people get that they are two different things. I really think that firing Claeys was the easy thing to do, I'm deeply disappointed in the university admin. Coyle is a joke IMHO.

I'm not ready to believe yet that he doesn't have someone lined up. I don't want to believe it. Man I hope he isn't that much of a tool.

C'mon Spoof you have been a longtime fan too, you know as well as I that IS the way Minnesota does things. I mean when you only have one good eye why wouldn't you point the sharp end of the stick towards said eye.

Just watched the whole press conference.

Coyle said several times, in response to direct questions, "we will honor the entire contract." someone asked - do you mean the buyout or the full contract, and Coyle said again, "we will honor the entire contract." Then, Joe C comes out later and says they're just doing the buyout. So either Coyle completely misunderstood the question, or he's the worst communicator of all time.

The press conference was really frustrating. Coyle kept saying he couldn't discuss specifics because of privacy laws, but he kept hinting at things without spelling them out. Kept talking about the need for truthfulness - but when a reporter asked him who was lying, he couldn't or wouldn't answer. It was like he had a list of talking points in front of him, and just kept reading them off "world class institution," etc.

Someone asked Coyle if he felt he had any responsibility for the mis-communication with the players, and he gave another waffle answer - privacy laws again.

Also kept repeating his line about "we can compete at the highest levels of the conference" - like it was matter of just hire the right coach and win a conference title.

As I said, Coyle kept hinting or insinuating that there were other issues in the program - talking about a "total evaluation" of the program, and seemed to be saying that there were other factors beyond the Sept 2nd incident or the Tweet - he said that you don't make decisions based on a single incident - but when pressed by the media, Coyle would never get specific about why Claeys was fired - made it sound like he was fired because he didn't win a conference title.

Coyle kept talking about "competing at the highest level." Mike Max asked - this year's team went 9-4 - isn't that competing at a higher level? - and Coyle went back to his line about having a program that operates at the highest level "athletically, academically and socially." He must have repeated that line 7 or 8 times.

I just got the sense that, no matter what Claeys and his staff did, it was never going to be good enough for Coyle. It just seems like he made up his mind a long time ago to make a change, and the Sept 2nd incident just gave him a ready excuse.

Just more and more lies by Coyle! How was he hired as AD? Sid could of didna better job than this guy!

From Coyle: mostly b.s. Ticket sales are down, as we all know, because of price-gouging by the previous out-of-state AD; as to the Wisconsin game, it is amazing that at Madison the Gophers were tied with only 8 minutes left. On field, the Gophers played very well in the four losses and especially well in the bowl game. Many of us can remember when top competition routinely blew the Gophers out by 40, 50 points. Recruiting? Recruiting was hurt most by the expulsions, suspensions and is now decimated by this move. Finally, consider the collective experience of this coaching staff - unbelievable, and now all lost. When and if Kaler goes to the next PC heaven campus, Coyle will be toast.

Claeys and Coyle are both wrong. Claeys for his cultural tone deafness, his lack of personal discipline and the organizational consequences thereof, and Coyle because he might actually be the spineless, equivocating turd of a bureaucrat he looks and sounds like. Watched the press conference and his phrase "academically, athletically, and socially" got a lot of knee-jerk use. How does he plan to measure a student athlete's social progress?

Top Bottom