Marcus: Gophers trying to get "big-time" player to transfer to U

I still think that this "big-time" player is a "load of crap"

I was thinking Jared Sullinger.

Its probably Kobe Bryant ... he has four years of eligibility left right?

Unfortunately, he might get a 3 game suspension due to some possible benefits received, just hope its not right before tourney time.

Its probably Kobe Bryant ... he has four years of eligibility left right?

Unfortunately, he might get a 3 game suspension due to some possible benefits received, just hope its not right before tourney time.

Keep in mind Tubby used to coach at Kentucky, I'm sure he knows how to get around such trivial violations as having a professional athlete on your team. Perhaps he's pursuing LeBron James or Kevin Garnett?

If someone guessed correctly would you answer YES?

Hard to say, haven't heard any news on this for awhile. The term "big time" refers to this players high school career, not what he has done in college. I think MINN is a longshot for this guy but i know they we're working hard on his AAU coach who is friends with one of our coaches. I did a quick search on him and not much info anywhere on where he is looking.

If someone guessed correctly would you answer YES?

Hard to say, haven't heard any news on this for awhile. The term "big time" refers to this players high school career, not what he has done in college. I think MINN is a longshot for this guy but i know they we're working hard on his AAU coach who is friends with one of our coaches. I did a quick search on him and not much info anywhere on where he is looking.

Is it known that he is looking?

Keep in mind Tubby used to coach at Kentucky, I'm sure he knows how to get around such trivial violations as having a professional athlete on your team. Perhaps he's pursuing LeBron James or Kevin Garnett?

Actually, maybe Ndi Ebi ... he's never been paid right?

I still think that this "big-time" player is a "load of crap"

Marcus writes a good column, look at his twitter account and he comes off as a jackass of Dan Barrow proportions. Some yesterday examples of his condescending, negative twist bs and these are mild compared to his usual.

GophersNow-
Jim Jackson says growth of Leuer is a credit to Ryan and Wisconsin. So does Tubby get credit for Sampson's 10 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 bpg this yr?

You knew Tubby was going to bring up not having his two PGs this season. But he was set up being asked the question about Jordan Taylor.

Too bad Coach K is calling DeAndre Daniels now and telling him he needs to join Rivers, Cook, Plumlee and Gbinije to give Duke a Fab Five.

Tubby showing up on Big Ten Network is that going to help boost recruiting? Is he trying to get face time since MN didn't make NCAAs?

Oooh. Tubby says, "I know I would like to have the success that Bo Ryan has had." We all know it's true. But MN coach can't say that, right?

OK. He's not grinning as much as I thought. Tubby says WISC still "will be a team to reckon with in Big Ten" in the future. What about MN?

I used to think Gophers would have made Sweet 16 if Nolen was healthy and Joseph hadn't transferred. But not so sure after watching so far.

isn't it funny that Arizona was actually after Tubby a couple years ago that same year Virginia was also trying to lure coach away from MN.

Just think if Cory Joseph didn't get that five-second call for Texas, then Duke wouldn't be getting embarrassed right now by Zona.

Marcus writes a good column, look at his twitter account and he comes off as a jackass of Dan Barrow proportions. Some yesterday examples of his condescending, negative twist bs and these are mild compared to his usual.

GophersNow-
Jim Jackson says growth of Leuer is a credit to Ryan and Wisconsin. So does Tubby get credit for Sampson's 10 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 bpg this yr?

You knew Tubby was going to bring up not having his two PGs this season. But he was set up being asked the question about Jordan Taylor.

Too bad Coach K is calling DeAndre Daniels now and telling him he needs to join Rivers, Cook, Plumlee and Gbinije to give Duke a Fab Five.

Tubby showing up on Big Ten Network is that going to help boost recruiting? Is he trying to get face time since MN didn't make NCAAs?

Oooh. Tubby says, "I know I would like to have the success that Bo Ryan has had." We all know it's true. But MN coach can't say that, right?

OK. He's not grinning as much as I thought. Tubby says WISC still "will be a team to reckon with in Big Ten" in the future. What about MN?

I used to think Gophers would have made Sweet 16 if Nolen was healthy and Joseph hadn't transferred. But not so sure after watching so far.

isn't it funny that Arizona was actually after Tubby a couple years ago that same year Virginia was also trying to lure coach away from MN.

Just think if Cory Joseph didn't get that five-second call for Texas, then Duke wouldn't be getting embarrassed right now by Zona.

Hahaha, geez, did he piss in his Coco Puffs or somethin?

Let me take a shot at the speculation on the "big time" potential transfer. . .could it be Vander Blue? Johnny mentioned he was more of a big time name from what he accomplished in HS not thus far in college (that fits), his minutes drastically reduced with Marquette as the season progressed, he's an upper midwest kid, Tubby and the gang were recruiting him during high school, and he fits a position of need for the Gophers with three years of eligibility left.

Total speculation but I'll make it my guess.

Let me take a shot at the speculation on the "big time" potential transfer. . .could it be Vander Blue? Johnny mentioned he was more of a big time name from what he accomplished in HS not thus far in college (that fits), his minutes drastically reduced with Marquette as the season progressed, he's an upper midwest kid, Tubby and the gang were recruiting him during high school, and he fits a position of need for the Gophers with three years of eligibility left.

Total speculation but I'll make it my guess.

Yes please

Vander Blue is an interesting guess. Boy did he struggle shooting the ball this season, and he was awful from the line too, but he was definitely a big-time prospect coming out of high school. He's a Madison, WI native too, so I think it would be fricken hilarious if he came to Minnesota, and Bucky can go suck it!

I can hear it now:

In a surprise announcement LaBron James has announced that he will be taking his talents to the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Said LaBron at his self initiated press conference, "lookin forward to hangin with the Tubman and the rest of the Sota homies. Heh, they need some luv and a ring would be nice and I aint feelin it no mo at the Beach". When Mr. James was informed that he would be ineligible and unable to suit up for the Golden Gopher basketball squad, he commented, "damn...think of the pregame lay down we could have done with that striped hamster!!"

As a Gopher alum currently going to law school at Marquette, I highly doubt Vander is going to transfer. The only way I think that would even become a minute possibility is if Buzz were to leave for another job. Even then I'm not sure he'd leave, unless Marquette really struggled to find a quality replacement head coach.

Does anyone know...if a player declares himself eligible for the draft before his senior season, gets drafted, then doesn't make the league, if he can come back to play those remaining eligible college years? Rickert coming back to the U would be genius.

Does anyone know...if a player declares himself eligible for the draft before his senior season, gets drafted, then doesn't make the league, if he can come back to play those remaining eligible college years? Rickert coming back to the U would be genius.

Nope. One, he hired an agent. Two, he's been playing "professionally" overseas for years.

Boy did he struggle shooting the ball this season, and he was awful from the line too...

Sounds like a perfect fit for this team!

Sorry for the dark humor. I'll be good now.

An athlete's window of opportunity is five years from the day they enroll in school. There are variances for medical hardships, etc. If your question is sarcarm, I apologize.

This is possibly the dumbest question I've ever seen on a message board. This has to be sarcasm.

An athlete's window of opportunity is five years from the day they enroll in school. There are variances for medical hardships, etc. If your question is sarcarm, I apologize.

Thanks for the info. It was indeed not sarcasm...I assumed they would lose eligibility but didn't know the five year rule. Too bad they can't keep those years of eligibility for down the road after their professional careers. Mixing a team of fresh 18 year olds, Rick Rickerts that can't hack it in the NBA, and NBA retired Joel Pryzbillas would be something. It would change the whole recruiting scheme too.

Thanks for the info. It was indeed not sarcasm...I assumed they would lose eligibility but didn't know the five year rule. Too bad they can't keep those years of eligibility for down the road after their professional careers. Mixing a team of fresh 18 year olds, Rick Rickerts that can't hack it in the NBA, and NBA retired Joel Pryzbillas would be something. It would change the whole recruiting scheme too.

You're joking, right? You wan't former pros playing college basketball? Seriously? Do you understand that college sports exists for amateur student athletes? Please tell me this is a joke.

Is the 5 years of time from when they enroll in school or is it when they become a member of the athletic team (either via scholarship or walk-on status)?

For example, in college basketball could someone get a degree over 4 years while never playing athletics, then go to grad school (or come back for a second degree I guess) and have 5 years of basketball left? (Similar to Chris Weinke playing college football)

A very OT question (and probably a dumb one too) but just kind of curious about it.

Big-time my a$$ Marcus.

Marcus isn't just throwing Wally's name around, this is the player that has been speculated on all along. Minnesota has an in with his AAU coach and we're one of the first schools to get involved. Most think he will be back on the west coast, but Mn is at least in the conversation.

Eating my words. Big-time columnist = Marcus.

Top Bottom