Marcus: Gophers trying to get "big-time" player to transfer to U

I don't think the young man is "big time" by the standard definition but anybody who follows recruiting knew he was a solid player in Chicago Catholic League a few years ago.

Yes, you live in Chicago, so you've heard of him. That doesn't make him big-time. By that logic, Zack Lofton would be big-time.

Calling Sam Maniscalco "big-time" is almost as much of a stretch as attributing Michael Ruffin's NBA status to Tubby.

I follow college basketball as fervently as anyone I know (other than Josh), and I've never heard of this guy until this thread. By definition, a guy that a hardcore college basketball fan has never even heard of is not "big-time".

Well let's just forget about him then if you've never heard of him. He must not be good at all.

Well let's just forget about him then if you've never heard of him. He must not be good at all.

So if you aren't "big-time" that means you aren't good at all? There's no inbetween? All he said was he isn't "big-time," which he isn't.

No, but if the player has already gotten his release papers I'm pretty sure he becomes fair game to recruit.

That is what I thought. So it would have to be someone who already go his release so I am assuming it would be no one whose team is currently playing

So if you aren't "big-time" that means you aren't good at all? There's no inbetween? All he said was he isn't "big-time," which he isn't.

I just didn't get why the player at hand isn't "big time" because dpod (or anyone else on this board, including myself) said so. If Tubby and staff think he is "big time", then I would gladly trust their judgment.

Yes, you live in Chicago, so you've heard of him. That doesn't make him big-time. By that logic, Zack Lofton would be big-time.

Once again, anybody who follows recruiting would have known about him. You don't.

No one would call him "big time" by the standard definition. I said that before. You missed it.

I just didn't get why the player at hand isn't "big time" because dpod (or anyone else on this board, including myself) said so. If Tubby and staff think he is "big time", then I would gladly trust their judgment.

No one on planet Earth besides his parents (and Marcus Fuller, if that's who he's referring to) think he is big-time.

If he's homesick, why wouldn't he transfer to Iowa St.?

Whose to say the Gophers are the only one who would be interested? If I remember correctly, Tubby had some sort of tie to the family.

Really, I was just throwing a name out there, nothing more.

Once again, anybody who follows recruiting would have known about him. You don't.

You know little-to-nothing about me. I follow recruiting, quite intensely actually. The average college basketball fan who does not live in the Chicago area and is not a fan of an MVC team has never heard of a 2-star recruit who averaged 10 ppg in a small non-power conference. I never said he's not good. I said he's not "big-time". And he isn't, by any stretch of the word that you want to make it.

It is no guarantee it is a big time recruit that Tubby may be trying to get. Marcus tweet said "could be".

Providence coach just fired:

SportsCenter SportsCenter
From the AP: Keno Davis has been fired as men's basketball coach at Providence College after just three seasons on the job (46-50).

Uh oh, Tubby to Providence rumors are coming. He took over for Pitino at UK, so maybe he'll do the same at Providence (numerous coaches removed of course)!

Why go to Providence when he can just recruit their best player to transfer to the U?!;)

Why do we need Tubby or any college coach to tell us if a player is big-time or not? Is knowing whether a point guard, who had a 1.18 assist/turnover ratio and averaged less than 10 points per game as a senior for Bradley, is big-time or not really all that complicated? You're not giving yourself or anyone else very much credit if you can't figure that out on your own. He's NOT big-time.

Why do we need Tubby or any college coach to tell us if a player is big-time or not? Is knowing whether a point guard, who had a 1.18 assist/turnover ratio and averaged less than 10 points per game as a senior for Bradley, is big-time or not really all that complicated? You're not giving yourself or anyone else very much credit if you can't figure that out on your own. He's NOT big-time.

To be fair, he only played six games this (his senior) year and was apparently injured throughout those games. He did lead his team to a win over USC in his short stint this season. He also averaged 13 pts and 2.5 assists or so his soph and junior years. I never said he was big time, but just wasnt ready to claim that he absolutely wasnt.

Forget a "big-time" transfer, we need a "Tubby Smith" type transfer!

Since I believe they cannot talk with anyone who has not already said they are leaving the team, the question is who already has stated and made the necessary moves to be available?

They just can't go to players on other teams and try and get them to transfer.

I'm about 90% sure you can talk to them if they call you. I had some friends transfer schools (NAIA) and they even went down to a few open gyms before they got their release.

Was/is the player Ari Stewart of Wake Forest?

No

What about Rotnei Clarke from Arkansas? He wants out from there. The problem is that he'll be a senior next season, so if he transferred, he'd have to sit out a year and play only for 1 year after that.

Top Bottom