Looking forward to next year

Question: With all players getting this year as a free pass from the NCAA, will we actually see an improvement more than any other team will see?
Isn't this year more like the NFL where the change over isn't going to be that high?
Shouldn't we expect just another season like this one?

Convince me why the Gophers will see great improvement, but other teams won't.

I think almost every year for as long as I can remember, there has been a player that has come out of nowhere and surprised people with his play. Think Sam Renner, Blake Cashman, etc., many of which are walkons, so they don’t get hyped as much. I know it’s only been 4 games, but is there anybody that is getting playing time and really taking advantage of it? Where are the 3/4/5th year walkons that can bridge the gap instead of putting a freshman out there? Where are the guys that took a big leap from last year? Where’s the true freshman that already is showing you their star potential? Where is the special teamer making too many plays to keep him just on special teams? There’s not too much I can point to.

Agreed...Aaron Hill came out of nowhere too; loved him!

This year isn’t going as planned, but let’s not say things can’t get better. We lost a lot, look at LSU, Auburn, they also lost a lot and are struggling. We could be in Penn States shoes, this year is all messed up.

How is Penn State in a worse spot than we are?

I liked how Howden played against Penn State last year.
Howden is fine.
He's not a great player, but he's not going to be an anchor for your defense.

He WAS a walkon, and probably reasons behind that.

Question: With all players getting this year as a free pass from the NCAA, will we actually see an improvement more than any other team will see?
Isn't this year more like the NFL where the change over isn't going to be that high?
Shouldn't we expect just another season like this one?

Convince me why the Gophers will see great improvement, but other teams won't.

Depends who you compare it to.
If other defenses are playing together as a team schematically and "know" how to play their defense, their ability to improve will mainly be from size and speed gains.

If our defense is not in sync, and they get in sync, that's an area for large improvement. From there, they could also make size and speed gains individually.

The other area would be whether the team is younger than some others. A freshman will probably gain more size in the next two years as he becomes a Junior or RS Sophomore.
A RS Sophomore probably won't gain as much size and additional speed as he becomes at RS Senior.

Everyone grows and gains weight at different times, but I would think most gain it 18-20 vs 20-22.

They aren't. That was a homer-ish take. They hung with 2 top 10 teams and lost to Maryland, who might actually be proving they aren't all bad. Now they are in the dumps.

They also have a top 15 recruiting class coming in that ranks 3rd in the Big Ten.

It would seem that there’s a general lack focus and urgency. Some teams/fans had the feeling that it’s a virus year, other things are more important than football. Gophers would seem to be squarely in that camp. They’ve been unable to flip the switch back to FB when it was time to go. Leadership, either team or coaching, hasn’t been able to refocus the team. Getting boat raced by Iowa at home is a clear sign that the team is not selling out to play football and make football a top priority right now. I don’t think it’s lack of ability, but a mindset not being in place.

Last edited:

COVID or not, this year play right into alumni fans fears of bipolar success and failure in the football program, and in some ways all Gopher sports.

We got close to the pinnacle of best season ever and instead of a mere letdown, we are diving into failure like a bunker buster dropped from 30,000 feet.

This needs to be fixed now or it is just a continuation of accepting the mediocrity trend line.

How do we do that? Win. Just win.
How do we win? How did win last year? I'm not close enough for specifics, but winning at the line of scrimmage would be a start.

they are 0-4! I say with our one win we in a better spot, plus we beat them last year. We also have another good solid class coming in for recruiting. Also PS starts the year ranked top 10 with playoff talk. I think our year is sitting a little better even though our defense is absolutely abysmal

I'm excited for next year as well.

The truth is, we are extremely inexperienced in our front 7 on defense and that has been our major isssue. Our offense will be fine. We had one bad game.

Our defense has a lot of guys getting their first run of PT. Our LBers should be better (growing another year and getting Oliver back).

"Someone developed him into a player.
Be somewhat ignorant to think whoever helped develop him the last 3 years suddenly lost the ability to do it with kids who show up with more natural ability."

That someone is no longer here...are we on the third or fourth D-Line coach?

I'm excited for next year as well.

The truth is, we are extremely inexperienced in our front 7 on defense and that has been our major isssue. Our offense will be fine. We had one bad game.

Our defense has a lot of guys getting their first run of PT. Our LBers should be better (growing another year and getting Oliver back).
Except, Michigan is horrible. Maryland scored 3 points in game one vs NW...we turned them into Best Show on Turf. Illinois used a 4th string QB who looked overwhelmed. Iowa dominated and toyed with us.
So, ya...if nobody is good maybe we catch up but we are not developing depth any where.
Being excited for next year is delusional imo but I really would like to be wrong. Remember, we start with Ohio State and on the road in Colorado. Hard not to see 0 and 2 after 1 and 7....or do we have to play another game? That could be an embarrassing finale, if so.

I keep saying the same thing but other than size and he has adaped quickly to the sport....dude still wiffs on plays and it will get hella harder i the NFL.

I hear he could get picked high but not sure the nfl is a place to play catch up on being consistent...

That's assuming he wants to go there.

Wildly consistent, you mean? The defense has been the same through all games. Giving up yards per play at historic rates. Along with abhorrent special teams play.
I was more talking about the team as a whole. Yes, the defense has been 90% bad this year. They have put together some good plays but it mostly looks like 11 people each playing for their own team on D.

I think there was a reason PJ wasn't pushing to play this season and it really shows. New OC with no spring ball and a limited fall camp. Lots of inexperience on D and in a similar boat with no spring and a limited fall. I give PJ a pass for this year even at 1-7. I think they will learn and get guys playing better down the stretch. A good class is coming in and I know PJ will hit the transfer market hard finding a few instant impact transfers. The NCAA could put the scholarship limit at 90 for next year and I'm confident PJ will handle that well and get the roster headed in the right direction. Build up your depth the rest of the year, and get better week by week. He also needs to keep continuity on his staff in the offseason.
Projected additions for next year
Faalele
Harvard OL Transfer
Maybe Dunlap off an Achilles
A transfer receiver????
A transfer NG, LB, and Safety?
Special teams I have no idea how they get better.

Rest of this season about improvement more than wins and losses. Would be nice to get some positive momentum going into next season. Just bizarre with Tanner's regression. Never keeps the ball on the rpo anymore as well. Wonder if he is hurt?

Next year will be a real coaching challenge for PJ and his recruiting will be a big factor. OC looks shaky now, too - maybe put some money out there and get one of the better up-and-coming OCs.

I keep saying the same thing but other than size and he has adaped quickly to the sport....dude still wiffs on plays and it will get hella harder i the NFL.

I hear he could get picked high but not sure the nfl is a place to play catch up on being consistent...

That's assuming he wants to go there.
I agree he has a ways to go, but that doesn't mean an NFL won't draft him on potential.

2-3 win season next year and PJ is fired.
PJ won’t get fired by Coyle....Athletic Dept don’t have the money or the drive to go through another rehiring situation. Now, PJ may end up leaving because another school may be dumb enough to pay him more but the U won’t fire him.

We’ll have another shitty year next year, just another year of being a pissed off and irritated Gopher fan.

PJ won’t get fired by Coyle....Athletic Dept don’t have the money or the drive to go through another rehiring situation. Now, PJ may end up leaving because another school may be dumb enough to pay him more but the U won’t fire him.

We’ll have another shitty year next year, just another year of being a pissed off and irritated Gopher fan.
Sure we do, have the money. $50M/year from the Big Ten, for doing nothing that helps ratings.

I'd hire Sean Lewis, if he somehow is still available after 2021.

Sure we do, have the money. $50M/year from the Big Ten, for doing nothing that helps ratings.

I'd hire Sean Lewis, if he somehow is still available after 2021.
Ah yes, let's hire a coach who is 10-16 and consistently recruits in the middle of the conference at Kent State. You are the dumbest poster on this board.

Ah yes, let's hire a coach who is 10-16 and consistently recruits in the middle of the conference at Kent State. You are the dumbest poster on this board.
Through their first 27 games respectively:

Sean Lewis -- at Kent State, an awful football school with zero history of anything -- 11-16 with a bowl win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team

PJ Fleck -- at Western Michigan, a school with decent football success prior to him -- 9-18 with a bowl loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team

Obviously 2015 turned out well for Fleck. Just as 2020 might turn out similarly well for Lewis, we will see.

Johnnyboy grabs the ball! He's going in to dunk!! OOOOHHHHHH!!!! HE GETS BITCH-SLAPPED DOWN TO THE FLOOR!!! HE'S WRITHING IN PAIN!!!

Bitch.

Through their first 27 games respectively:

Sean Lewis -- at Kent State, an awful football school with zero history of anything -- 11-16 with a bowl win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Kent_State_Golden_Flashes_football_team

PJ Fleck -- at Western Michigan, a school with decent football success prior to him -- 9-18 with a bowl loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Western_Michigan_Broncos_football_team

Obviously 2015 turned out well for Fleck. Just as 2020 might turn out similarly well for Lewis, we will see.

Johnnyboy grabs the ball! He's going in to dunk!! OOOOHHHHHH!!!! HE GETS BITCH-SLAPPED DOWN TO THE FLOOR!!! HE'S WRITHING IN PAIN!!!

Bitch.
Point stands, he is a middle of the pack MAC coach. And you are suggesting firing PJ for him you are an idiot.

It would seem that there’s a general lack focus and urgency. Some teams/fans had the feeling that it’s a virus year, other things are more important than football. Gophers would seem to be squarely in that camp. They’ve been unable to flip the switch back to FB when it was time to go. Leadership, either team or coaching, hasn’t been able to refocus the team. Getting boat raced by Iowa at home is a clear sign that the team is not selling out to play football and make football a top priority right now. I don’t think it’s lack of ability, but a mindset not being in place.
I think you're absolutely right. Don't think they've quit, but it's pretty clear football doesn't have the same priority as last year. Lots of complaining about the defense but we generally expected a drop off there. The offense was what was the most disheartening against Iowa. The Gophers imposed their will on Auburn, with all their highly regarded defensive players, to end last year. 3 keys players are gone, but there's no excuse for looking like that against Iowa. They're not all in.

Will be interesting to see if PJ can get them "believing" again. It's not about poop in a children's story now; it's about having pride as an athlete and being pissed off because you were dominated and people are doubting you.

Point stands, he is a middle of the pack MAC coach. And you are suggesting firing PJ for him you are an idiot.
Haha, that's all you have? Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Did I suggest firing PJ right now, for Sean Lewis? Nope. Do you see whatever you want to see, and make crap up just to take a person swipe at someone? Yep.

My entire point rests on how well Kent St does this year. They seem pretty good right now. But maybe covid strikes or injuries. Won't know until the end of the year, how it compares to PJ's 2015 year.

I see people calling for the Gophers to go out and get some transfers or Jucos. But Fleck in the past has said that is not his way. he says they are a developmental program, meaning they recruit HS kids and develop them.

So, if the Gophers do try to pick up some transfers or jucos to plug in gaps in the roster, in one sense, that would be an admission by Fleck that his system has not produced the desired results to date.

So, does Fleck have the flexibility to try something different, or does he stick with his plan?

We shall see.

I see people calling for the Gophers to go out and get some transfers or Jucos. But Fleck in the past has said that is not his way. he says they are a developmental program, meaning they recruit HS kids and develop them.

So, if the Gophers do try to pick up some transfers or jucos to plug in gaps in the roster, in one sense, that would be an admission by Fleck that his system has not produced the desired results to date.

So, does Fleck have the flexibility to try something different, or does he stick with his plan?

We shall see.
You think the man who's ego is so large, that he does the things he does, in this program and on the field with his antics and rhetoric, is capable of changing things?

Firing Robb Smith was the one time. And it worked out well. So let's see.

Haha, that's all you have? Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Did I suggest firing PJ right now, for Sean Lewis? Nope. Do you see whatever you want to see, and make crap up just to take a person swipe at someone? Yep.

My entire point rests on how well Kent St does this year. They seem pretty good right now. But maybe covid strikes or injuries. Won't know until the end of the year, how it compares to PJ's 2015 year.
"I'd hire Sean Lewis, if he somehow is still available after 2021."

I would judge coaches based off a fluke year where at least half of the teams planned on not playing. I'll leave that to you though.

"I'd hire Sean Lewis, if he somehow is still available after 2021."

I would judge coaches based off a fluke year where at least half of the teams planned on not playing. I'll leave that to you though.
After 2021, is after next year, numb nuts.

Top Bottom