Looking forward to next year

Sure we do, have the money. $50M/year from the Big Ten, for doing nothing that helps ratings.

I'd hire Sean Lewis, if he somehow is still available after 2021.

I usually can somewhat agree with many of your posts, but are you seriously talking about who our new coach is going to be after 2021? If so, you have really lost the plot. We just WON 11 GAMES last year. You were one of the biggest hype men for this team and program all offseason. Pull it together, buddy. This year is a total wash and PJ is not going to be judged by Coyle or the regents on it.

Honestly, even if we somehow went 0-12 in 2021 - which will in no way happen - we would not be looking for a new coach.

Sure we do, have the money. $50M/year from the Big Ten, for doing nothing that helps ratings.

We have a ton of bills to pay. Can't ignore them like some people do.

So Mafe, Otomewo, Cheney, and Carter all suck?
MSM, Rush, and Oliver all suck?
Lindenburg, (true freshman), sucks?
Nubin and Dixon suck?
Howden is awful as well?

Coney Durr is graduating. If you think he sucks, I guess that's good because someone else will replace him unless they suck too.
I don't know who all of our freshman DB's are. But they must suck as well.

Incoming recruits must suck too. I'll trust you've looked into it and know.
MSM might be the worst gopher of the last 15 years

I feel like he played pretty good against Auburn too...he just looks really slow. I wonder if there is an injury or something.
A lot of guys look slow.

And when they aren't slow and they get there they take weird angles and just don't close on their target... it's wonky.

A lot of guys look slow.

And when they aren't slow and they get there they take weird angles and just don't close on their target... it's wonky.
That's the other thing...MSM has been right there to make big plays that will result in minimal or even negative yards but because of the angle he's taking the back just slips outside or inside the gap he's trying to plug and he can't catch up...I noticed that way more against Iowa.

That's the other thing...MSM has been right there to make big plays that will result in minimal or even negative yards but because of the angle he's taking the back just slips outside or inside the gap he's trying to plug and he can't catch up...I noticed that way more against Iowa.

Yeah guys are in position... on both sides of the ball... player just not mak'n plays making all the difference.

Even more so vs Iowa than the other games they seemed to be there in the right spot A LOT.

And the defense did make them enough for a while....

Yeah guys are in position... on both sides of the ball... player just not mak'n plays making all the difference.

Even more so vs Iowa than the other games they seemed to be there in the right spot A LOT.

Yep I agree...Iowa stuck out a lot more in the fact that there were plays that could have been made. Michigan had some others. Maryland we were a complete mess and then later in the Iowa game it was a mess.

That first half on Friday night wasn't terrible football for the defense. They showed some potential. They still have a LONG ways to go though.

RB we'll be fine. Ky Thomas could be the starter next year and Potts has looked excellent in his limited carriers. Wiley might be good if he gains some weight and becomes more of an Eddie George, run with power guy. Right now his running style is that, but he's not strong enough to break those tackles.

Just curious ... why do you think Ky Thomas could be the starter next year? (I mean, I guess anybody could be.) He's at least fourth in line right now, behind two redshirt freshmen and also the starter, if he decides to return next year.

JohnnyBoy vs MplsGopher in posting hissy fit...

popcorn 2.gif

I usually can somewhat agree with many of your posts, but are you seriously talking about who our new coach is going to be after 2021? If so, you have really lost the plot. We just WON 11 GAMES last year. You were one of the biggest hype men for this team and program all offseason. Pull it together, buddy. This year is a total wash and PJ is not going to be judged by Coyle or the regents on it.

Honestly, even if we somehow went 0-12 in 2021 - which will in no way happen - we would not be looking for a new coach.
If we have a sub 0.500 record in 2021, with as embarrassing of losses to both Iowa and Wisconsin as we just suffered to Iowa, I would fire Fleck after the season. 1000%

Very much hoping for better performance than that.

Sean Lewis now 12-16 through first 28 games, including a bowl win, at friggin' Kent State.

PJ Fleck up to 10-18, with bowl loss, through first 28. Both very obviously middle of the pack MAC coaches, at those respective points.

Huge showdown in MAC next week, with Kent @ Buffalo. Speaking of the latter, Leipold is going to be a good P5 coach somewhere as well.

Doubt either will be there still by end of 2021.

Is it just me, or am I not seeing many defensive players with a killer mentality? Seems like some hesitation and lethargic play out there. Sure, we have a few but not like there were the last couple of years.

Is it just me, or am I not seeing many defensive players with a killer mentality? Seems like some hesitation and lethargic play out there. Sure, we have a few but not like there were the last couple of years.
Hesitation for sure, I'm seeing that.

They seem really unsure of their actions, over committing at times after a miss or hesitating.

Just generally over correcting.

I'm at least slightly comforted by the fact that they are ... there, in position, more so than the Michgian game to make the play. Despite the scores I feel like the defense is not THAT far from improving ... if they can make a few more plays.

You need a specific mentality on defense. To inflict pain on your own body, in order to do whatever it takes to make the tackle.

It's not enough to be fast, and be able to run over really quickly to get into position to make a play. To actually make the play, tackle the guy, it hurts. You have to be willing to fling yourself at him, whatever it takes.

If you play this game correctly, you should get hurt, from time to time. That's the brutal nature of this game.

I know we're replacing a lot of guys but I have 2 problems looking forward to next year.

1. All the teams we've played have had to replace guys and their replacements stepped in and are doing fine enough to beat the crap out of us.

2. Normally when you replace guys or have young guys playing there are flashes of hope or promise that you see. We saw it early with Tyler Johnson, Antoine Winfield, Coughlin, etc. just in Fleck's time here. I haven't seen more than a play or two out of some of our younger guys that scream "wow he could be really good." Our O Line is super old, we're losing an NFL receiver, no idea what Ibrahim will do, and our defense looks like they all could be replaced.

The situation says that the rest of the Big Ten could again be better than us next year.

MSM might be the worst gopher of the last 15 years
If we can change it to over-rated; he'd be in a tie with Mike Rallis. As it is, MSM is the worst LB in the last 20 years and Rallis is #2....obviously of those that have regularly started.

If you play this game correctly, you should get hurt, from time to time. That's the brutal nature of this game.
The day I started playing tackle football my dad said, "You'll never get hard playing as hard as you can, but the minute you start pussy-footing, you're going to get hurt." IMO, Truer words were never spoken.

15 years of tackle football and, luckily, I never missed a game as an undersized LB (hurt...yes, and I know I was fortunate and lucky). Full-disclosure, 2 confirmed concussions (1 Sr. HS; 1 Sr. college) might've forced me to miss if I played today.

I know we're replacing a lot of guys but I have 2 problems looking forward to next year.

1. All the teams we've played have had to replace guys and their replacements stepped in and are doing fine enough to beat the crap out of us.

2. Normally when you replace guys or have young guys playing there are flashes of hope or promise that you see. We saw it early with Tyler Johnson, Antoine Winfield, Coughlin, etc. just in Fleck's time here. I haven't seen more than a play or two out of some of our younger guys that scream "wow he could be really good." Our O Line is super old, we're losing an NFL receiver, no idea what Ibrahim will do, and our defense looks like they all could be replaced.

The situation says that the rest of the Big Ten could again be better than us next year.
Most of the other West teams defenses are senior/junior heavy this year. Again many of our replacements are FR or no experience and other team's replacements are JR/SR's. Hopefully next year will be better. That's when I will get concerned.

I do like Sean Lewis --- don't really want a Badger as our head coach --- but I am excited for him to get a P5 job.

The day I started playing tackle football my dad said, "You'll never get hard playing as hard as you can, but the minute you start pussy-footing, you're going to get hurt." IMO, Truer words were never spoken.

15 years of tackle football and, luckily, I never missed a game as an undersized LB (hurt...yes, and I know I was fortunate and lucky). Full-disclosure, 2 confirmed concussions (1 Sr. HS; 1 Sr. college) might've forced me to miss if I played today.
Yep, a great saying. Being hurt and being injured are two different things, and playing/pushing through pain is every bit fundamental to competition and what top competitors are able to do better than others.

Just curious ... why do you think Ky Thomas could be the starter next year? (I mean, I guess anybody could be.) He's at least fourth in line right now, behind two redshirt freshmen and also the starter, if he decides to return next year.

Talented kid. Highly recruited.
Maybe he's good at not getting tackled.

Hard to say. Not saying he would be the #1 starter, but probably in the mix. My point is RB probably isn't a concern.

Top Bottom