Looking back...

Really tough now as the vast majority of these kids travel and talk about who the best coaches are, where they have the best programs who is their best offer. Unless a kid really wants to stay home he is heavily weighing in those other factors. We have state kids elsewhere that tell the younger kids here what their experiences have been, who they think are the better coaches. These kids are smart and do their research. Very few recruits will think this staff measures up in anyway to their other choices.
This is so underrated. The kids on the team talk to recruits, you hope they are saying great things about the staff but the coaches never know what they say when the coaches aren’t around during recruiting visits. This along with what high school and AAU coaches think of the staff have huge implications on recruiting and may explain partly why they miss on many kids.

More dishonesty. This is not a 40-year mess. The first 17 years of those 40 years included successes that someone like Pitino could not even dream about much less duplicate.
You do not get to tell me what i meant by it. It is ok for you to love Richard, we are looking at the same thing and s
Well I have said about 30 times that I will accept it either way. I just don't think he is as bad as you say.
There are worse . There may be 150 that are worse. For 7 years this is one of the lowest 25% of all coaches in the conference in history. I hope he runs the table here or does great wherever he lands. I never cheer for him to lose games. .

Really poor form that last statement built- low blow that reveals you.
We did crush them though. 70-52. Did Gard coach the Gophers that night?? It looked like Pitino to me.
Badger continues with backstabbing and low blows. He is virtuous.

Of course it was meant as a jerk comment. It was a huge slam. Just say you think Gard is better than Pitino and leave it at that. No one is going to argue that one at this point in their careers. Gard got handed a slow motion basketball franchise and was told to not mess it up. He's done okay. Pitino got handed a 40 year mess and was told to fix it. He hasn't.

Gard at age 31 (age Pitino was hired at) was an assistant coach at Milwaukee and then for 15 years an assistant under Bo. When Bo was going to leave Wisky didn't want to hire him until Bo forced it. Why did no one hire Gard all of those years- the wizard that he is?
:clap:

Low blow ? I believe that Gard is vastly superior coach over Pitino. Opinions.

I don't completely disagree, but Gard inherited a vastly superior situation as well.

I'm not entirely sure Gard could replicate his success elsewhere

he would need to be a state that borders the fertile recruiting grounds of MN.

I was talking about actual rotation players.
"Not everybody grows up hoping to be a Gopher."
I doubt MN kids grow up hoping to be badgers either.

What is the appropriate number of Minnesota players on the team that would make people happy?

The team that went to the final four in 1996-1997 had 6 MN kids on the roster.

Last year's team had 5 MN kids on the roster, 7 if you include Jarvis Johnson and Brady Rudrud. This year's team has 5 MN kids on scholarship.

Not everybody grows up hoping to be a Gopher.

Suggs and Garcia, mcDonald's all amaricans, usually go blue blood. What hurts is the Carlson, Wahl, Crowl types who should be solid pieces for 4 years.
Not sure on Dainja, as I have heard about off the court stuff, definitely talented.

Really poor form that last statement built- low blow that reveals you.
We did crush them though. 70-52. Did Gard coach the Gophers that night?? It looked like Pitino to me.
Really good point. Given the outcome of the two games comparing home vs away, it would seem Pitino was the better coach.

I was talking about actual rotation players.
"Not everybody grows up hoping to be a Gopher."
I doubt MN kids grow up hoping to be badgers either.
Totally agree. But they do like programs and coaches that win.

Your entitled to think that. Coyle would trade in a heartbeat.
And of course you are entitled to think that keeping in mind opinions are not facts and you have no idea what Coyle would do.

Last edited:

Still haven't given any information to back up your claims that he did a ton of things wrong year one
Listed several. Can not read it for you. No need to type it again. Keep your opinion, I have mine.

Really good point. Given the outcome of the two games comparing home vs away, it would seem Pitino was the better coach.
LOL. Really solid analysis there, sport.

Let's start by expanding the sample size to the last 10 games between Gard and Pitino.

Let's start by expanding the sample size to the last 10 games between Gard and Pitino.
How about you start by being specific on who Coyle should hire. Name him, the coach that you would support bringing to MN, the coach that would lead to success in you eyes.

Now you're just talking crazy...;)

Not an unexpected response from someone suffering from PDS. My comments were based on the games this year in case you hadn't noticed. We destroyed the Badgers at home, we almost and should have beat them in Madison. Which coach had their team more ready to play in those two games, Pitino or Gard? You tell me.

Last edited:

How about you start by being specific on who Coyle should hire. Name him, the coach that you would support bringing to MN, the coach that would lead to success in you eyes.

I'll answer for USAF as he gives this answer each time. "He's not the AD, but he will trust the AD to bring a winner. What he does know is the one we have now is not one." Always easy to be a problem identifier on a message board lol.

I'll answer for USAF as he gives this answer each time. "He's not the AD, but he will trust the AD to bring a winner. What he does know is the one we have now is not one." Always easy to be a problem identifier on a message board lol.
:clap:

Listed several. Can not read it for you. No need to type it again. Keep your opinion, I have mine.
Actually, I would agree with you on how he started from a roster building standpoint. Totally. He was a headstrong 31 year old who thought he could go out and recruit 5 stars to come to the tundra. He went for it and lost and then the fall back players - other than Mason in his first full class- were not very good. He tried to win right away at all costs to get the program on a roll and he took some bad risks all the way into year three that hurt him and set the table for where he is today. He is better today than back then. Good enough? I don't know but I think he is toast here.

As far as the coaching job he did with what he had in year 1... very good. I just don't know how anyone could say differently.

Defense: getting better but still needs work
Recruiting: Going after more skill and character these past few years and doing better. Needs a full roster! It's okay to have three guys who are developing but you need to start the year with 10 guys that can play so you can be sure that you finish with at least 8. That has been a big issue.
Coaching: Hard to say there because the lost close games go partly to coaching for sure. But I see better out of bounds plays, better stuff out of time outs and his players have continued to play hard through the disappointments- they definitely have not quit on him. He has emphasized defense and guys have sat down (Ihnen for sure) because of it when they could have helped offensively. Overall efficiency has gotten better.

Suggs and Garcia, mcDonald's all amaricans, usually go blue blood. What hurts is the Carlson, Wahl, Crowl types who should be solid pieces for 4 years.
Not sure on Dainja, as I have heard about off the court stuff, definitely talented.
I wonder what the those three Carlson, Wahl, Crowl have in common?

Dude you didn't even respond when I asked you a direct question? I asked what his coaching errors were because you listed things that were out of his control that you didn't like.

Not an unexpected response from someone suffering from PDS. My comments were based on the games this year in case you hadn't noticed. We destroyed the Badgers at home, we almost and should have beat them in Madison. Which coach had their team more ready to play in those two games, Pitino or Gard? You tell me.
This makes you look so friggin stupid I have trouble believing you'd even trot it out.

"Gard has proven to be a better coach than Pitino."

"Nope, he's from Wisconsin."

"But, results."

"Dude, we had a better point differential this year.

"Uh....results."

"LOL...that's irrelevant. We scored more points this year."

Always easy to be a problem identifier on a message board lol.
Well, apparently not. We still have people who cant identify the primary problem with the basketball program.

Top Bottom