Limegrover - year 5 and here we are....

Maybe we need the harry potter magic wand we can wave over everything and it will be fixed.

Do people forget that coaching and improving is a process? Steps forward and steps backwards and over time things improve.

So do the other teams...do you think they are here to make the gophers look good?

Limegrover is a very interesting playcaller. I really dug into the NIU offense just for my own curiousity when Kill was hired.
What I noticed, which has proven true here, is that Limegrover really changes the offense game to game alot.
This might be good or bad, we've seen him apologize for overthinking things too much(Iowa 2013), we've seen him come up with brilliant and creative out of nowhere gameplans too(Nebraska 2013).
At NIU he would run the QB's 20 times one week, pass 40 times the next, run option the next, and come back to a power running game where the top RB gets 30 carries.
Last year we had a bread and butter zone read play to cobb we could almost always run for 3-4 yards, or hit a big run. We've struggled to find what that play will be this year so far. I think it's likely we'll find that Rodney Smith ends up becoming the focus of the offense and as the offensive line heals up we see some pretty impressive games from him. I also think that as the pressure is taken off Leidner to carry the offense, he'll be better at the throws he has already shown he can make.
This is an inexperienced and injured group right now on O, it will get better and Limegrover will hopefully call a few gems like he always has.

Yep. Pretty sure Limey himself said that they don't have an 'offense' in the traditional sense where a team says 'we're a West Coast team' or 'we're based around running power'. Instead he said they have a collection of plays they pull from based on gameplan and opponent. I'm fine with this as it lets you be flexible and exploit matchups, but it can mean that at times there isn't anything to really hang your hat on. That said we, like most teams, run mostly inside zone and power out of different formations so its not overly problematic

Lotsa wannabees here, cncmin. There's evidence you're one of them. Just because you devised a creative offensive scheme for your pee wee team that scored 50 against the team coached by Billy's mom, doesn't mean you can out-coach men at the highest level of the profession. If you really could, you'd be doing it and getting paid a "fine salary." Our coaches know more about what went well and WHAT WENT WRONG than you. Feel free to wave your hands and yell and scream that you know more than them, but other than a few other "knowledge-free" self-proclaimed unproven experts, most of us will stick with the proven men getting paid good money to do it (against others getting paid good money...).

Great post :rolleyes:

Yeah, I suppose my intelligence could have carried me over into coaching football, where I might have gone up the coaching ranks and might have ended up a coach who makes a good living; or may have gotten uber-lucky and been that right person at that right time and been an elite coach. I know, it's a tragedy that so many of our finest brains are choosing careers in things other than coaching sports, am I right?! But seriously, carry right on with your self-righteous and never-ceasing homerism and praise of anything and everything this coaching staff, unsuccessfully attempting to bully anyone who dares criticize anything about them.

Fair enough, I don't disagree with some of the things you are saying. It's just that almost everyone brings up the jet sweep. Just because it worked great against a few teams last year doesn't mean it is going to always work. That's all.

Oh, I totally agree...which is why I said "or other innovative schemes" ;)

Believe this, Kill's loyalty to Limegrove has been very strong, but Kill won't lose his job for him. Just as Kill has to recruit and play his best players, he also has to trust and use the best coaches. There has been a glaring weakness on this team the last couple of years and the "we will install the offense next year" excuse is gone. They are coaching in the big leagues and Kill needs all facets to perform up to expectations. He has started to criticize the offense publicly this year. He will not let a subpar offense bring him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe this, Kill's loyalty to Limegrove has been very strong, but Kill won't lose his job for him. Just as Kill has to recruit and play his best players, he also has to trust and use the best coaches. There has been a glaring weakness on this team the last couple of years and the "we will install the offense next year" excuse is gone. They are coaching in the big leagues and Kill needs all facets to perform up to expectations. He has started to criticize the offense publicly this year. He will not let a subpar offense bring him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with your post, but I'd be shocked if Kill ever fired Limegrover or any of his longtime assistants. The loyalty thing isn't just about the people, it's his brand. I agree that he'd eventually move on from Limegrover or anyone on his staff if he decided it was necessary, but Kill would find him a landing spot, maybe HC at a smaller school, that would help Limegrover save face and help foster the loyalty as a two-way street image. (None of this is to suggest that the staff loyalty to Kill or Kill's loyalty to them is insincere, just that I don't think he'd ever outright fire a coach who's been with him for 10+ years strictly for on-field performance reasons.)

Top Bottom