Limegrover is not good

Reaction score
Terrible play calls, ultra conservative in every game, won't throw the ball, etc. How do you call a slow-developing run play on 3rd and 1 when the D is going to send everyone? I always hate it when coaches do that.

Yes, they beat Western Michigan, who had a chance to win the game at end.

The offense is rather offensive at this point, largely because the OC sucks.

Well that didn't take long.

We did win, you know.

Rodent, it is better to let the Negative Nancies have their say and not bother to listen, than to try reason with them.

Good Win GOPHERS!!!

3-0.

Now, we start planning for Syracuse.

GO GOPHERS!!!

To this point i'd agree that Limegrover seems like he's copied Brad Childress' old 'Kick Ass Offense'.

Yes, they beat Western Michigan, who had a chance to win the game at end.

The offense is rather offensive at this point, largely because the OC sucks.

Isn't that more of an assumption? You assume the OC sucks. How do you know it's not player execution? Their offense looked pretty darn good at NIU at times, so I don't know if you can just immediately say it's Limegrover making the offense not as effective as it could be.

Well that didn't take long.

We did win, you know.

Great to have the win, but the OP has a point...not that Limegrover is terrible, but that he is very conservative. And that 3rd and 1 play was extremely questionable. The conservative play calling in the 4th quarter did great for driving the clock down, but it left WMU with a chance to win.

Another thing I question about the coaching staff, is why they do not open up the passing play book for Gray...with him, we have a bunch of read options, and hand offs...then Max steps in, and its throw throw throw...is it that the coaching staff doesnt have confidence in Gray throwing the ball? Does Gray just not see the receivers open when he finally gets a chance to throw the ball? The play book just seems to change so much from Max to Gray. I know they are 2 different types of QB, but Gray doesnt seem to get the same opportunities in the air that Max gets.

Terrible play calls, ultra conservative in every game, won't throw the ball, etc. How do you call a slow-developing run play on 3rd and 1 when the D is going to send everyone? I always hate it when coaches do that.

Wow you must be trashed or something. We haven't even entered conference play yet, of course the play calling is going to be vanilla. You save wrinkles for the big ten. Plus o line is not healthy, and our backup QB came in. Yeah he can sling it, but he i still a true soph thrown in without notice.

Some people are never satisfied

Isn't that more of an assumption? You assume the OC sucks. How do you know it's not player execution? Their offense looked pretty darn good at NIU at times, so I don't know if you can just immediately say it's Limegrover making the offense not as effective as it could be.

Extremely conservative play calling and poorly called plays for situational football.

I can't really stand constantly running it on 3rd and 5+ with a QB right up the middle. That barely works against low level teams right now, let alone B1G competition. If Gray can't throw a football you replace him.

I can't stand calling a slow-developing run play on 3rd and 1 where you are pulling people and the defense just shoots the gaps and sells out for a 5 yard loss. These plays rarely work in known run situations. If you are physically superior, which you should be, power it straight up the gut with no delay.

Wow you must be trashed or something. We haven't even entered conference play yet, of course the play calling is going to be vanilla. You save wrinkles for the big ten. Plus o line is not healthy, and our backup QB came in. Yeah he can sling it, but he i still a true soph thrown in without notice.

Some people are never satisfied

Why is it that some people can't just discuss the things that aren't working without getting their underwear in a bunch?

Sorry I'm not a homer that only sees what worked. Glad they won but that type of play won't win many B1G games.

Plus I bet the coaches were holding back still.

With the things that happened in this game, injuries etc....
Plus the real stuff comes out during the B1G season.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I'll take a 4&2 conservative result (and let the defense win) over a play action int for td from an inexperienced qb any day.

Well if we're talking about the conservative playcalling, well then I can agree with that, they do call a conservative game plan.

My only point was, they haven't always been that way in their history from my recollection, perhaps there is a method to the madness. It's led to three wins thus far, in which we've piled up 478, 412, and 397 yards. I do think come conference season, they are going to have to (if not want to anyway) open up the playbook and take more chances. But right now, we're playing teams where we should be able to play a controlled offense and still produce, and so far that's happened, even if inconsistently. I'd hope they're building toward something as the season goes on, but you never know I guess.

I'll just keep taking these W's right now as this team continues to try to learn how to win, which they've done 4 straight times for the first time in waaaay too long.

Great to have the win, but the OP has a point...not that Limegrover is terrible, but that he is very conservative. And that 3rd and 1 play was extremely questionable. The conservative play calling in the 4th quarter did great for driving the clock down, but it left WMU with a chance to win.

Another thing I question about the coaching staff, is why they do not open up the passing play book for Gray...with him, we have a bunch of read options, and hand offs...then Max steps in, and its throw throw throw...is it that the coaching staff doesnt have confidence in Gray throwing the ball? Does Gray just not see the receivers open when he finally gets a chance to throw the ball? The play book just seems to change so much from Max to Gray. I know they are 2 different types of QB, but Gray doesnt seem to get the same opportunities in the air that Max gets.

Don't you think that is quite obvious.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry I'm not a homer that only sees what worked. Glad they won but that type of play won't win many B1G games.[/QUOTE]

I agree, there is nothing wrong with some back and forth discussions. I guess I am just enjoying the process of this teams growth, since to me this team is still a few years from being a legit threat. I guess it's not easy for me to look for the fine detailed negatives, which includes situational play calling.

Like Monty said, we've piled up some good yardage the first three games so it's hard for me to say he's not good. I am frustrated at times with the play calling, but it is what it is.

I personally thought the OL did not play very well today at times.

I think it is too early to make a call on whether Limegrover is good or not. Based on his work at NIU, I would say he is good. I agree with some of the posters on here that I do not always like his play calling. It does seem like it is all or nothing with the qbs. With gray it is all run and with max it is all pass. It would be nice to see a little more mix and a more variety of runs. But as others say, we do not want to show our whole play book before conference play starts. I think a better idea of what this staff wants to do will be seen during conference play. Until then, I think judgment should be withheld.

I personally thought the OL did not play very well today at times.

The o-line did not play well. there were many times when the d line was in the back field almost as quickly as the ball. that will disrupt any play.

Rodent, it is better to let the Negative Nancies have their say and not bother to listen, than to try reason with them.

3-0 is good yes, but to accept on the field performance is to inevitably accept mediocrity. Fact is, we could be 100-0, but that doesn't mean we don't want to improve. That's the difference between a good team and a great team. Go ahead and bask in the glory of the win though.

I don't agree with the mind set of some of these coaches. I'm glad we won, but just barely. We just played a try not to lose offense. That's not going to work with once conference play starts. We have to learn to put teams away. Play action play calling would have buried the other team in the second half. They expected us to run, which we did. That's basically all we did. Football is as much of a mental chess game as it is a physical game. If I know you're gonna run, run, run (3rd and short), or run, run, pass (3rd and long), it is going to be much easier to stop you. Play a little chess will ya?

Nice win against a decent team.I don't know. We lose are starting quarterback and bring in our backup and we let him do what he does best throw. Seems like good coaching to me. I have yet to ever see a football game that the so called experts don't say they could have called better plays. Even a 60 -0 game. Makes me realize how silly they are.

I'm not sure where the "this won't work in conference play" mentality comes from. How many double-digit leads do you honestly expect us to have in conference play?

Limegrover (and thus Kill by extension) is very conservative, and I haven't been thrilled with his playbook, which I've said.

All that said, FireCosegroveGuy is clearly a troll. Every post is complaining about something, usually to get a reaction.

This thread is so counter productive. We are in year number two of a huge rebuilding job. It is like people are expecting more than they should.

I think part of the reason we ran more in the 4th quarter is because of the wind. Max int was held up and under thrown, best to keep the clock moving.

I wasn't a fan of the 4th down call and poor execution didn't help.

Now let's continue getting better and beat Syracuse.

Love it. Complaining about the offense after a victory. That, my friends, is progress.

I knew our running backs and linebackers stunk. And they do!

But our o line was supposed to be better this year.

Don't look now, but our d-backs are our best unit! OMG.

My six beer analysis: it seems like we ran the same read option play 62 times, but we won.

Part of the chess game is not showing your entire playbook before the Conference games start. Couple that with the fact that we are rebuilding, our starting center was out, the line was shuffled around.

Have we evolved as a program to the point where we can now complain about wins? Progress.

Kirkwood's 110 yard game today stunk? Tell me more.

Kirkwood was good today. You even watch the game?

The wind, clock and qb experience had to have been in the mind of Limegrover. What was Kirkwood's average per carry in the 4th quarter? Good Job Gophers !!

Top Bottom