Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

I wonder why they didn't postpone again, maybe the insurance companies had to say enough is a enough?

I do feel bad for you, and anyone else that held on for this long.

My thoughts are that at this point, they don't even know if they'll tour. So best to just cancel rather than continue to kick it down the road.

My concert year just got two shows deeper today. Bought tickets for this (thanks for the heads up, tikited). The Fillmore is a really nice venue. Saw Rival Sons there this past fall. A buddy of mine also had an extra ticket to the Korn/Chevelle show next Saturday....so I've got that now too.
Ellie is the best! Seriously the best!
3rd time seeing them in the last year. Denver, Des Moines and The Fillmore. Last night was the best show overall. Mpls loves Wolf Alice and they felt it.

Ellie is the best! Seriously the best!
3rd time seeing them in the last year. Denver, Des Moines and The Fillmore. Last night was the best show overall. Mpls loves Wolf Alice and they felt it.

Yeah, she's amazing. Just an excellent show all around. And I cannot say enough good things about The Fillmore. Favorite place to see a show along with The Armory.

Saw The Head and the Heart at the Armory last night. Great band. Great venue.

Next Friday it's Blood Red Shoes at the Fine Line.

Fun week.

Going to Alice Cooper tonight at the new Dollar Loan Center arena, the new arena for VGK's minor league team, the Henderson Silver Knights. Looking forward to a good show but also want to see what concerts are like in there; For concerts I don't imagine it seats more than 3000 or so at the most, nice small intimate venue (well kinda).

Capacity has to be in the 6000 range for concerts, at least. It's listed as 5,567 for hockey. With floor seating I would imagine it's close to 7000 depending on the stage set up.

Any report?
It was great!

Buck Hill has been putting on a concert series the last few years. This was the first year we went - I imagine we’ll go back.

This year Thursday night was cover themed - 90s cover band, a Queen cover band and The Atomic Punks (Van Halen). Woulda like to see those last guys - discovered them on YouTube after Eddie passed. I dunno what Friday’s theme was, but Plain Whites Ts and Soul Asylum played. We went Saturday - Country themed. First act was Tim Seigler (who coincidentally played my sister-in-law’s wedding). Then The Cadillac Three - who I didn’t think I knew though I recognized a few songs - and were pretty good - been listening to them since. We went for Blackberry Smoke - who was great. They did an acoustic set - which suits their music, but I missed some of their electric slide guitar stuff.

It was a really cool set up - most people brought lawn chairs and kinda set em up on the hill(s). Really nice clear night. It wasn’t exactly my wife’s kind of music, but she loved the experience and is already talking about going next year.

My only gripe is you have to buy a ticket for all three shows - I would have preferred to pay a discounted rate to only see BBS, but that’s a small complaint.

For those who don’t know Blackberry Smoke they’re southern rock. A more contemporary Skynyrd sorta…. I’ll try and embed a vid.

Just spent a stressful morning getting tickets for Dead and Co.'s last tour.

May in Los Angeles. At the Kia Forum. Never been there.

June in Chicago. Wrigley again.

July in Boulder. I've been to Unv. of Colorado's stadium for the Gophers game last year but never a concert. Should be epic.

Just spent a stressful morning getting tickets for Dead and Co.'s last tour.

May in Los Angeles. At the Kia Forum. Never been there.

June in Chicago. Wrigley again.

July in Boulder. I've been to Unv. of Colorado's stadium for the Gophers game last year but never a concert. Should be epic.

The Forum in LA is like a carbon copy the St Paul Civic Center (or vice versa), both for concerts and sporting events, except it has a parking lot.

At least it was the last time I went there in '97. Perhaps they remodeled once the Kings-Lakers moved to Staples.

The Forum in LA is like a carbon copy the St Paul Civic Center (or vice versa), both for concerts and sporting events, except it has a parking lot.

At least it was the last time I went there in '97. Perhaps they remodeled once the Kings-Lakers moved to Staples.
Was hoping for the Hollywood Bowl, or anything but an arena, but oh well.

Saw 'Death From Above 1979' at the Fine Line last night. I like that venue.

Now I've never been to Las Vegas. Not much of a table game gambler (I do like to bet on sports though). But I am seriously considering my first trip there. The concert lineup for the first "Sick New World" festival is incredible. Doesn't seem right that it all takes place on one Saturday. Guessing some difficult decisions on which bands to see would need to be made.

System of a Down is the only no brainer.....as they kind of play one off shows every once in a while right now.....and are doubtful to come back to Minnesota unless they get back together and start making new music. After that.....Chevelle, Incubus, and Failure would be high priority. But really.....Deftones, Filter, Alien Ant Farm, Hoobastank, Evanesence, etc. would be shows that I'd like to see. Wish Minnesota had a cool rock festival....

The-inaugural-Sick-New-World-2023-Lineup-Has-Been-Announced.png

Saw 'Death From Above 1979' at the Fine Line last night. I like that venue.

Now I've never been to Las Vegas. Not much of a table game gambler (I do like to bet on sports though). But I am seriously considering my first trip there. The concert lineup for the first "Sick New World" festival is incredible. Doesn't seem right that it all takes place on one Saturday. Guessing some difficult decisions on which bands to see would need to be made.

System of a Down is the only no brainer.....as they kind of play one off shows every once in a while right now.....and are doubtful to come back to Minnesota unless they get back together and start making new music. After that.....Chevelle, Incubus, and Failure would be high priority. But really.....Deftones, Filter, Alien Ant Farm, Hoobastank, Evanesence, etc. would be shows that I'd like to see. Wish Minnesota had a cool rock festival....

The-inaugural-Sick-New-World-2023-Lineup-Has-Been-Announced.png

Whoa that lineup just took me straight back to my early college days.

I've got a few shows coming up. My busiest month since the pandemic. Plains at MJ Lenderman at First Ave, Rose City Band at the Turf and Wild Pink at the Entry. Time to stretch these old man legs again.

This was back on 11/4/22, but I wanted to mention seeing Clerks III at the Palace in St Paul, followed by a Q&A with Kevin Smith. The movie itself, if familiar with the first two and the View Askew Universe, I would say delivers to fan expectations.

The crowd, felt like a Comic-Con vibe to it. Not exactly my scene, but still fun. The Q&A was very engaging.

- Stated he has a lot of affection for the Twin Cites area, as his first studio movie (Mallrats) was shot in Eden Prairie. Sounds like a sequel is in the offing (Twilight of the Mallrats) and his going to try to film it here again if it works out budgetwise.

- 1st Question began with a 14 yr girl making a play for Smith's daughter (who is 23 and has a boyfriend)

- Interesting stories about how music is acquired. The artists themselves usually have to sign off, has been able to arrange some sweat heart deals ($25k) with My Chemical Romance & Pearl Jam. Usually those deals are $100k. End credits triple. He got to meet Stevie Nicks to obtain permission for another film, special screening.

- Smith (& friends) bought the movie theater in his hometown in NJ. Uses it for special screenings and projects. Also has an apartment above it that he uses.

- Highlight was walking through the process of how after filming the original Clerks, how making it to Sundance happened, ultimately sold and distributed leading to the life he has been able to enjoy for now close to 30 years.

- It lasted for nearly 2 hours after the film, running an hour longer than planned. Only downside to that was the nearby Xcel Smashing Pumpkins/Jane's Addiction show ended around the same time, creating a bit of a traffic mess.

Watched and listened to a good chunk of the Elton John Farewell concert at Dodger Stadium Sunday night. It was live-streamed on Disney+.

Only problem was it started a little after 8:00pm in LA, so 10:00pm Central time, and I just can't stay up that late anymore, so I packed it in a little after Midnight.

Looked and sounded great. I have a surround-sound system for my home video setup, so I ran the audio through that with Dolby Pro II, and cranked up the volume.

Elton may not be able to hit some of the high notes anymore, so his voice is a little deeper and blusier, but he's still a great interpreter of the material. and his band is really solid.

and the stage presentation was great - the lighting was coordinated through the whole stadium. the video presentation included some great aerial shots of the stadium and the city.

I'd like to see Disney+ do more shows like this.

Is anyone going to the Lemonheads show tonight?
I will be waiting by the lower bar if you are buying.

Juliana Hatfield/Lemonheads Friday night at 1st Ave I thought was solid. No train wreck. Nothing against the 2 bands prior, but 4 on the bill is at least 1 too many, especially if it shrunk the allotted time for Juliana.

Dando blew his voice out in Europe a couple of months ago. Even though he had more than a month off afterwards, it's 2 weeks into this run of shows so there was some trepidation on what to expect.

I liked the Into Your Arms opener and thought the first section of songs with the band was good, but he was holding back a little vocally. I was especially glad to hear the Gram Parsons cover I Just Can't Take It Anymore.

I thought he let it rip from his solo section through the entire It's a Shame About Ray album, which turned out to be the finale. No encore, but he played nearly 90 minutes with very little futzing around.

I was disappointed Juliana didn't play more with the Lemonheads. This was her first night on the bill for this leg of the tour though, so I am guessing they just didn't have time to run through some stuff. It did make her appearance on Drug Buddy quite dramatic though. Quite a crowd pleaser.

Seeing a show soon in the Palace Theater in St. Paul. Can't wait. What's it like?

Seeing a show soon in the Palace Theater in St. Paul. Can't wait. What's it like?
I like it, acoustics are pretty good.

I prefer the General Admission area on the main floor. The upper levels look and sound great but being originally built 100 years ago, kind of close quarters by today's standards.

Juliana Hatfield/Lemonheads Friday night at 1st Ave I thought was solid. No train wreck. Nothing against the 2 bands prior, but 4 on the bill is at least 1 too many, especially if it shrunk the allotted time for Juliana.

Dando blew his voice out in Europe a couple of months ago. Even though he had more than a month off afterwards, it's 2 weeks into this run of shows so there was some trepidation on what to expect.

I liked the Into Your Arms opener and thought the first section of songs with the band was good, but he was holding back a little vocally. I was especially glad to hear the Gram Parsons cover I Just Can't Take It Anymore.

I thought he let it rip from his solo section through the entire It's a Shame About Ray album, which turned out to be the finale. No encore, but he played nearly 90 minutes with very little futzing around.

I was disappointed Juliana didn't play more with the Lemonheads. This was her first night on the bill for this leg of the tour though, so I am guessing they just didn't have time to run through some stuff. It did make her appearance on Drug Buddy quite dramatic though. Quite a crowd pleaser.
I actually thought he sounded really rough at first. Things got going eventually and it was a good show overall imo. Juliana was delightful!

I'm embarrassed to be THIS late to this particular party, but I finally saw Trailer Trash's trashy Xmas show after all these years, on the 9th at the Hook & Ladder. It way exceeded my expectations, especially since they sang some of my favorite Christmas songs. They're such great musicians and have such a love for the standards and for classic country music. Man oh man, I was in a happy place.

For those interested, TT is playing Crooners in January.

I actually thought he sounded really rough at first. Things got going eventually and it was a good show overall imo. Juliana was delightful!
Yes, agree on the first part. The solo section through the whole album was above average. By Frank Mills, I could tell he was out of gas.

Reading about other shows through the end of the tour, looks like Juliana got more involved. Played bass for a couple songs on the album portion.

Last edited:

Yuja Wang with good reviews after doing all five Rachmaninoff works with the Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall.
She played there in 2018 and had seven encores.

I'm kicking off a fun month of February with two bucket list concerts.

This Friday I am seeing Bruce Springsteen in Atlanta. He hasn't toured since 2017 and I said next time he does I wouldn't miss his show. He's not coming to Phoenix unfortunately, so I was able to fenagle a work trip to Atlanta this week so I could time it to see him. His tour kicks off Wednesday in Tampa, so I'm getting him at the beginning of the Tour which should be great.

Then later this month it's the annual "Innings Fest" here in Phoenix, which is part of a big weekend around Spring Training. It's a baseball themed music festival where many former and current MLBer's who are in bands will play, but the headliner I'm going to is Sunday night (Feb 26) is Eddie Vedder (long time bucket list for me, really hoping he plays some acoustic sets), Marcus Mumford also performing (Vedder and Mumford are appearing without their bands), also on the lineup are The Revitalists, Mt. Joy, Head and the Heart, etc..

I'll report back after The Boss on Friday night!!

Go Live Music!!

I'm kicking off a fun month of February with two bucket list concerts.

This Friday I am seeing Bruce Springsteen in Atlanta. He hasn't toured since 2017 and I said next time he does I wouldn't miss his show. He's not coming to Phoenix unfortunately, so I was able to fenagle a work trip to Atlanta this week so I could time it to see him. His tour kicks off Wednesday in Tampa, so I'm getting him at the beginning of the Tour which should be great.

Then later this month it's the annual "Innings Fest" here in Phoenix, which is part of a big weekend around Spring Training. It's a baseball themed music festival where many former and current MLBer's who are in bands will play, but the headliner I'm going to is Sunday night (Feb 26) is Eddie Vedder (long time bucket list for me, really hoping he plays some acoustic sets), Marcus Mumford also performing (Vedder and Mumford are appearing without their bands), also on the lineup are The Revitalists, Mt. Joy, Head and the Heart, etc..

I'll report back after The Boss on Friday night!!

Go Live Music!!
Can't wait for the reports on the Boss and EV. I have tix at Excel for the Boss, just a little more than a month away.

As for EV, his solo shows for the past year whether it's just him or with his Earthlings band are a treat. Even better is a mix of both, which I saw at Ohana in 2021.

The Vetter Stone Amphitheater in Mankato just announced a show with Barenaked Ladies, Semisonic and Del Amitri for June 10th. tickets start at $45. I'm tempted.

if you've never been to a show there, it's a nice venue. open-air amphitheater next to the river. they have these big slabs of rock in front of the stage, then a grassy area that slopes up a hill.

and Ope - I'm also going to the Springsteen concert at the Ex in March.

The Vetter Stone Amphitheater in Mankato just announced a show with Barenaked Ladies, Semisonic and Del Amitri for June 10th. tickets start at $45. I'm tempted.

if you've never been to a show there, it's a nice venue. open-air amphitheater next to the river. they have these big slabs of rock in front of the stage, then a grassy area that slopes up a hill.

and Ope - I'm also going to the Springsteen concert at the Ex in March.
As much of a fan I have been, just the 2nd time I have seen him with the E Street Band. I also saw him once in LA, solo.

Since 2020, I have listened a lot to E Street Radio so excitement has been heightened.

Top Bottom