Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

Morrissey bailed on a scheduled show in New Zealand.

Dunedin-based Morrissey fan Hamish McNeilly, who saw the singer in 2016 when he last performed in Auckland, was disappointed by the cancellation.

"You are used to sadness as a Morrissey fan, but this makes me miserable now."

While I have tremendous empathy for Hamish, perhaps he can take some solace in that his quote made me laugh out loud.
Morrissey is the biggest d-bag in music. I bet he cancels more than 50% of his scheduled shows.

Golden Smog/The Jayhawks on Saturday night at the Palace was a great time. I missed the show last year, so I was glad I could attend this year.

Steve Gorman sat in behind the kit for Golden Smog on their opening set. Tim O'Reagan did come out for a song on acoustic, filling in for Jeff Tweedy on the Faces cover, Glad and Sorry.

As for the Jayhawks it was one of the best sets I have seen them do in a while, I think they hit every album from Hollywood Town Hall to current. Highlight for me was Waiting for the Sun with an extended intro.

Doing double duty, felt like Louris let other band members take vocals for a few more songs than normal. Karen Grotberg just killed it on the Joni Mitchell classic, River.

Golden Smog/The Jayhawks on Saturday night at the Palace was a great time. I missed the show last year, so I was glad I could attend this year.

Steve Gorman sat in behind the kit for Golden Smog on their opening set. Tim O'Reagan did come out for a song on acoustic, filling in for Jeff Tweedy on the Faces cover, Glad and Sorry.

As for the Jayhawks it was one of the best sets I have seen them do in a while, I think they hit every album from Hollywood Town Hall to current. Highlight for me was Waiting for the Sun with an extended intro.

Doing double duty, felt like Louris let other band members take vocals for a few more songs than normal. Karen Grotberg just killed it on the Joni Mitchell classic, River.
I forgot to include that a special guest, Buddy, certainly enjoyed the show.

IMG_20231216_230933626~2.jpg

One last show for 2023 was a 4th road trip to Chicagoland. Last night the Lemonheads preformed a 30th Anniversary Salute to Come on Feel at Space in Evanston. As good of a venue as there is IMO.

It was as good as I have seen Evan Dando perform in the past 15 years at least. His voice sounded strong, big benefit it's not a tour but a stand alone 3 night residency. He made the trip up from his now homeland, Brazil. Other than a 1 song restart because he forgot his capo, he was pretty focused.

3 piece band, unfortunately without Juliana Hatfield. They open with The Killing Moon, by Echo and the Bunnymen. After that right into the album.

These types of shows are good and bad, for me anyway. The lack of spontaneity, takes some the excitement away, but that was outweighed by how many good songs are on that album.

After the a album was completed (Jello Fund was skipped due to lack of a piano), he did a 10 song solo acoustic set, all covers. The Outdoor Type was a huge crowd campfire sing-along. Also included was Frying Pan, one of my highlights for all of 2023.

The band came back out for 4 song encore that concluded with Hospital and Drug Buddy.

Very fun night.

IMG_20231230_223606462.jpg

Last edited:

Turns out the Lemonheads show we should have gone to was in Zagreb, Croatia. This setlist is insane. I don't think I have ever seen Dando clock past 90 minutes. This had to be well over 2 hours. They played the full album It's a Shame About Ray, and then essentially another full show that included tons of my favorite covers and some solo stuff. I'm jealous for the Europeans getting to enjoy this. Maybe I can find a way to get to Munich this weekend...

May 3, at the Vintage Industrial Bar (from setlist.com)

1. Rockin' Stroll
  2. Confetti
  3. It's a Shame About Ray
  4. Rudderless
  5. My Drug Buddy
  6. The Turnpike Down
  7. Bit Part
  8. Alison's Starting to Happen
  9. Hannah & Gabi
  10. Kitchen
  11. Ceiling Fan in My Spoon
  12. Frank Mills
    (Galt MacDermot cover)
    Encore:
  13. Hard Drive
    (Evan Dando song)
  14. Frying Pan
    (Victoria Williams cover)
  15. Being Around
  16. I'm Set Free
    (The Velvet Underground cover)
  17. Into Your Arms
  18. The Outdoor Type
    (Smudge cover)
  19. My Idea
    (Chris Brokaw cover)
  20. Round Here
    (Florida Georgia Line cover)
  21. Hospital
  22. Tenderfoot
    (Smudge cover)
  23. Style
  24. Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
    (John Prine cover)
  25. Why Do You Do This to Yourself?
    (Evan Dando song)
  26. Abandoned
    (Lucinda Williams cover)
  27. Down About It
  28. The Great Big No
    Encore 2:
  29. Break Me
  30. Stove
  31. Dawn Can't Decide
  32. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
  33. Ride With Me
  34. Streets of Baltimore
    (Tompall and The Glaser Brothers cover)
Turns out, I may have overestimated the "well over 2 hours part". The Lemonheads show I saw in Evanston (Night 2) was 30 songs and just under 1:45. Dando is quite economical with stage banter.

All 3 sets at Space were 30-32 tunes.

Glad I did not have to fly over the pond to see it, though it would be cool for the Twin Cities to get such a gig. I'm sure any of the 3 were great, but glad the show I was limited to due to circumstances was the Night 2, Come On Feel tribute.

I have already seen A Shame About Ray played in full on the 20th & 30th Anniversary tours, plus Frying Pan was truly amazing.

Just purchased tickets for Beth Orton at the Parkway Theater. Love Beth, but I wish she wasn't at the Parkway. Not sure how many of you have seen a concert there, but I am not a fan. So many better venues for music.

Pumped that Dead and Company are playing at the Sphere in Vegas. I already have a trip booked and will be in Vegas during one of the nights. Got to get tickets as they will sell out in no time.

Actor Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire) has been side hustling as a singer. He and Chicago musician Jason Narducy have done several gigs in which they tackle covering a full album, most notably Murmur. This month they have been taking it on the road.

Knowing that Mike Mills has given it a full endorsement and that Narducy's cohort in the Bob Mould Band, Jon Wurster would be behind the kit prompted me to take a flier. I figured if those two can replicate Hüsker Dü & SUGAR, they can also handle the guys from Athens, GA.

It was a fun night, the almost sold out crowd gave it's full approval.

Opening set was Murmur + There She Goes.

1st encore they played Chronic Town and 5-6 others. Finished with a 2nd encore of another at least half dozen songs. Backing band was really strong, not just Wurster and Narducy, who mostly played guitar plus the Mills backing vox.

Lots of Reckoning and 3 from Life's Rich Pageant. Only 2 songs post-IRS were Country Feedback and Nightswimming.

No opening band, but they played 80s throwback videos on the curtain. Not sure if I have seen them do that this century.

Knowing the odds of ever seeing REM again are essentially nil, this was a fine substitute.

Last edited:

Pumped that Dead and Company are playing at the Sphere in Vegas. I already have a trip booked and will be in Vegas during one of the nights. Got to get tickets as they will sell out in no time.
Getting tickets to that was super stressful and very, very expensive. I hate the whole process of getting the pre-sale code, then waiting for the whole thing to go live, then getting placed in a waiting room, then having a time limit to complete your purchase, and then the shame felt for spending as much as I did...

1707237216973.jpeg

Actor Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire) has been side hustling as a singer. He and Chicago musician Jason Narducy have done several gigs in which they tackle covering a full album, most notably Murmur. This month they have been taking it on the road.

Knowing that Mike Mills has given it a full endorsement and that Narducy's cohort in the Bob Mould Band, Jon Wurster would be behind the kit prompted me to take a flier. I figured if those two can replicate Hüsker Dü & SUGAR, they can also handle the guys from Athens, GA.

1st encore they played Chronic Town and 5-6 others. Finished with a 2nd encore of another at least half dozen songs. Backing band was really strong, not just Wurster and Narducy, who mostly played guitar plus the Mills backing vox.

Lots of Reckoning and 3 from Life's Rich Pageant. Only 2 songs post-IRS were Country Feedback and Nightswimming.

No opening band, but they played 80s throwback videos on the curtain. Not sure if I have seen them do that this century.

Knowing the odds of ever seeing REM again are essentially nil, this was a fine substitute.
Murmer is a top-three album for me.

At the famed 40 Watt Club in Athens, it was not only Mills that endorsed the tribute. Full Berry-Buck-Mills-Stipe salute.

I hit on Pearl Jam floor tix in Vancouver. Pretty excited.

Getting tickets to that was super stressful and very, very expensive. I hate the whole process of getting the pre-sale code, then waiting for the whole thing to go live, then getting placed in a waiting room, then having a time limit to complete your purchase, and then the shame felt for spending as much as I did...

View attachment 30028

What did they get for tickets?

Go Bob Dylan!!

Saw Silversun Pickups (and a very good opener, Hello Mary) at First Avenue on Sunday. SP sounded fantastic.....even though I didn't care for some big omissions in the setlist.

While I understand that my opinion is sacrilegious......First Avenue is probably my least favorite (decent sized) venue in metro area. It's been oversold (crowded) every time I go.....which can make for a very uncomfortable experience. Sunday was particularly bad.

While I understand that my opinion is sacrilegious......First Avenue is probably my least favorite (decent sized) venue in metro area. It's been oversold (crowded) every time I go.....which can make for a very uncomfortable experience. Sunday was particularly bad.
I get it. First Ave. has been overselling tickets since covid and I doubt it will change anytime soon. I feel the same about the Palace. I've been there when I was afraid to leave my area knowing I had no chance of getting back.

I get it. First Ave. has been overselling tickets since covid and I doubt it will change anytime soon. I feel the same about the Palace. I've been there when I was afraid to leave my area knowing I had no chance of getting back.
As for the Palace, the 2 shows (Dino Jr & Liz Phair) I attended where they highly regulated who could get to the GA area (checking tix, wristbands-handstamps) it was really comfortable. No such measures were taken for the Jayhawks and it was mayhem.

I really hope for Isbell it's monitored.

Isbell is definitely oversold. Friendly mob scene.

Saw Silversun Pickups (and a very good opener, Hello Mary) at First Avenue on Sunday. SP sounded fantastic.....even though I didn't care for some big omissions in the setlist.

I won't say your opinion on 1st Ave is sacrilegious but I will say this:

- Going back to when I was only old enough to see All Ages shows in 1988, I learned if you don't have a game plan for 1st Ave about when to get there, where to stand etc, yeah it can be a huge hassle to watch a show at what is a converted Greyhound bus depot. Getting there early and having safety in numbers can really help if you are one that needs to make a beer or bathroom run.

- I've talked about this before, but what makes it special is how much the artists revere the old gal and put on special performances at the House that Prince Built. Jason Isbell played a show there in 2022 even though he could sell out a venue 5X the size, just because the were painting name on the wall.

Artists just love the room.

This weekend he is playing in St Paul (more on that later). He felt the need to stop by just to pay his respects and posted this on the Gram. I find that unbelievably cool.

Screenshot_20240303-084849~3.png

Last edited:

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Night 1. I saw him just under 6 months ago for the Weathervanes tour in Moorhead, but now the time is here for a proper 2 night stand in the Twin Cities market at The Palace in St Paul.

During that time to recap in the Isbell world:

- His bass player Jimbo Hart left the band permanently and has been replaced by Anna Butterss.
- New choppers.
- He had a key supporting role as Bill Smith and went head to head Leo DiCaprio in Best Picture Nominated, Killer of the Flower Moon.
- Divorced from his talented wife and now former band mate, Amanda Shires.
- Picked up 2 Grammys for Weathervanes.

In Moorhead he played all but 1 of the 13 songs on Weathervanes. Last night only 8. Either way all good in my book, it's perhaps my favorite album by any artist so far this decade, so I love hearing any song from it but also more time for previous crowd hits are also great.

Stockholm was the opener and This Ain't It was the closer and no complaints about anything in the nearly 2 hour set. Decoration Day and Alabama Pines were highlights as well as a solo version of Cover Me Up which takes on a different tone give the now announced divorced.

It was incredibly crowded in the GA section, giving credence to the overselling theory as they were vigilant about only letting those with GA tix in the area.

Twice a couple of fans hit the deck causing Isbell to stop. Once the commotion had settled down he restarted the songs from the beginning, which I appreciated. I don't think either of the fans had serious medical issues, dehydration or drinking too much. Perhaps they enjoyed the early spring a bit too much.

Fortunately I got there early enough and staked out a spot on the rail just in front of the bar. All good. Fun night.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Night 1. I saw him just under 6 months ago for the Weathervanes tour in Moorhead, but now the time is here for a proper 2 night stand in the Twin Cities market at The Palace in St Paul.

During that time to recap in the Isbell world:

- His bass player Jimbo Hart left the band permanently and has been replaced by Anna Butterss.
- New choppers.
- He had a key supporting role as Bill Smith and went head to head Leo DiCaprio in Best Picture Nominated, Killer of the Flower Moon.
- Divorced from his talented wife and now former band mate, Amanda Shires.
- Picked up 2 Grammys for Weathervanes.

In Moorhead he played all but 1 of the 13 songs on Weathervanes. Last night only 8. Either way all good in my book, it's perhaps my favorite album by any artist so far this decade, so I love hearing any song from it but also more time for previous crowd hits are also great.

Stockholm was the opener and This Ain't It was the closer and no complaints about anything in the nearly 2 hour set. Decoration Day and Alabama Pines were highlights as well as a solo version of Cover Me Up which takes on a different tone give the now announced divorced.

It was incredibly crowded in the GA section, giving credence to the overselling theory as they were vigilant about only letting those with GA tix in the area.

Twice a couple of fans hit the deck causing Isbell to stop. Once the commotion had settled down he restarted the songs from the beginning, which I appreciated. I don't think either of the fans had serious medical issues, dehydration or drinking too much. Perhaps they enjoyed the early spring a bit too much.

Fortunately I got there early enough and staked out a spot on the rail just in front of the bar. All good. Fun night.
Heard it was a good show. I actually had a ticket up in the balcony with the seat but unfortunately got clobbered by a migraine. Well I'm disappointed I have seen him three times so that takes some of the sting out of it. Downside my man Will Johnson is playing with him as well. If you haven't got yourself into his solo work and Centro-Matic, his previous band you really should. To a band that I love, the closer from something more than free, is about central-matic.

I did go get to see Run Westy Run and The Black-Eyed snakes at the Turf club on Friday. Fantastic show. Great to see Al Sparhawk rocking out and it's the best run Westy run show I've seen in years.

Heard it was a good show. I actually had a ticket up in the balcony with the seat but unfortunately got clobbered by a migraine. Well I'm disappointed I have seen him three times so that takes some of the sting out of it. Downside my man Will Johnson is playing with him as well. If you haven't got yourself into his solo work and Centro-Matic, his previous band you really should. To a band that I love, the closer from something more than free, is about central-matic.

I did go get to see Run Westy Run and The Black-Eyed snakes at the Turf club on Friday. Fantastic show. Great to see Al Sparhawk rocking out and it's the best run Westy run show I've seen in years.
I have seen Centro-Matic live, so I am familiar with Johnson, plus he was at the Moorhead show. Great that now they have a trio of more than capable guitar players. I will have to dig more into his recorded work.

I thought hard about going to that Turf gig, but now 3 nights in a row is too much for me. 2 is pushing it.

Hope you are feeling better.

I have seen Centro-Matic live, so I am familiar with Johnson, plus he was at the Moorhead show. Great that now they have a trio of more than capable guitar players. I will have to dig more into his recorded work.

I thought hard about going to that Turf gig, but now 3 nights in a row is too much for me. 2 is pushing it.

Hope you are feeling better.
Thanks. Took a lot sleep, medication and caffeine but I'm better

Tried to see that show on Friday...sold out.

Thanks. Took a lot sleep, medication and caffeine but I'm better
More tomorrow after some rest, but the coolest thing about Will Johnson in the band is when they go double drums on Death Wish and Miles. Borderline manic on DW.

Isbell was sporting some awesome kicks. Wish I had got a picture with better light. They were like silver/gold Lamé.

IMG_20240303_221140563~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Isbell Night 2 at The Palace.

Wound up getting to the venue about the same time (6:15), but with the cold front, the line was shorter so I made the decision to go for stage rail territory. I don't think I have done that since seeing Mould at 1st Ave back in 2016. Usually too much hassle and doesn't sound so great up there. Having to work today though, decided to skip the beer, so I went for it. Sounded great and actually everyone up there respected each other's personal space, so all good.

He stared with Hope the High Road which I was thinking was one of at least 6 set list changes. Others included Super 8, Outfit, and Speed Trap Town. Also Flying Over Water was wedged into the encore between Cover Me Up and now instant live classic This Ain't It.

What really struck me over the 2 nights was how much genuine joy he has performing. Even though he's now an actor in an Oscar nominated film, you can't fake that.

Last edited:

N2

During Cast Iron Skillet

IMG_20240303_222101126_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20240303_211633426~2.jpg

Last edited:

I went to back to back nights of Extra Innings Festival in Tempe this past weekend. For those that haven't heard of it, it's a great music festival in conjunction with all of the spring training games here. During the day they have former and current MLB players who dabble in music up on stage and then in afternoons/evenings they have musicians. They usually just have 1 weekend of Innings Festival, this year they added a second called Extra Innings Festival.

Friday night was country, the lineup I saw:

Chris Stapleton - outstanding. Probably the best song writer of current times, dude is so good. If you're looking for Kenny Chesney type of energy, Chris won't deliver, but if you are looking for great country music he's the best.

Turnpike Troubadours - I discovered them during COVID and immediately they became my favorite country band. They were on hiatus for a few years but "got the band back together" about a year ago and have been selling out shows since. I've been wanting to see them live for 3-4 years and they didn't disappoint at all. So good.

Ryan Bigham - I don't know a lot of his music, but he was good, sounded great live.

Elle King - (Robb Schneider from SNL's daughter), up and comer, solid, I wouldn't pay to see her at this stage but good filler for a festival.

Charley Crockett - old school style, good supplement for a festival.

Saturday night:

Dave Matthews Band - I hadn't seen DMB since 1996, they are still selling out stadiums obviously. While they were good, they "jam" a bit too much for my liking. They don't need to turn a 4 minute song into a 12 minute jam fest every other song. I'd love to see Dave in an acoustic show as that's more my style with his music, but a good, not great show.

Noah Kahan - he stole the night. He was so good. My daughter, who I went with to the Festival, introduced me to him about a year ago. He was outstanding and I can see why he's selling out bigger and bigger venues. Big future ahead for him.

Gin Blossoms - they were the first concert I went to at UW-Platteville back in 1995, and they sounded just as good. They are from Tempe originally so the crowd was really into them. They've been together, same 5 buddies from Tempe, for 37 years. Sounded as good as they did in mid 90s.

Sheryl Crow - I'd never pay to see her, but for 62 years old she looked and sounded great. Good filler for a festival leading into the evening.

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

I went to back to back nights of Extra Innings Festival in Tempe this past weekend. For those that haven't heard of it, it's a great music festival in conjunction with all of the spring training games here. During the day they have former and current MLB players who dabble in music up on stage and then in afternoons/evenings they have musicians. They usually just have 1 weekend of Innings Festival, this year they added a second called Extra Innings Festival.

Friday night was country, the lineup I saw:

Christ Stapleton - outstanding. Probably the best song writer of current times, dude is so good. If you're looking for Kenny Chesney type of energy, Chris won't deliver, but if you are looking for great country music he's the best.

Turnpike Troubadours - I discovered them during COVID and immediately they became my favorite country band. They were on hiatus for a few years but "got the band back together" about a year ago and have been selling out shows since. I've been wanting to see them live for 3-4 years and they didn't disappoint at all. So good.

Ryan Bigham - I don't know a lot of his music, but he was good, sounded great live.

Elle King - (Robb Schneider from SNL's daughter), up and comer, solid, I wouldn't pay to see her at this stage but good filler for a festival.

Charley Crockett - old school style, good supplement for a festival.

Saturday night:

Dave Matthews Band - I hadn't seen DMB since 1996, they are still selling out stadiums obviously. While they were good, they "jam" a bit too much for my liking. They don't need to turn a 4 minute song into a 12 minute jam fest every other song. I'd love to see Dave in an acoustic show as that's more my style with his music, but a good, not great show.

Noah Kahan - he stole the night. He was so good. My daughter, who I went with to the Festival, introduced me to him about a year ago. He was outstanding and I can see why he's selling out bigger and bigger venues. Big future ahead for him.

Gin Blossoms - they were the first concert I went to at UW-Platteville back in 1995, and they sounded just as good. They are from Tempe originally so the crowd was really into them. They've been together, same 5 buddies from Tempe, for 37 years. Sounded as good as they did in mid 90s.

Sheryl Crow - I'd never pay to see her, but for 62 years old she looked and sounded great. Good filler for a festival leading into the evening.

Go Gophers!!
That's a fuck of a lineup. Have always wanted to see Ryan Bingham and Charley Crockett. Jealous! And thanks for the tip for next year and beyond.

Top Bottom