Lemonte Edwards kicked off team for stealing IPhone

I went to high school with him my sophomore year then went to East Ridge. I had a couple of classes with him, he was a real nice kid. I thought he had a good head on his shoulders. Watched him dominate his senior year, thought he would be a stud for us. Really sad actually, such a naturally gifted athlete.

Linebacker Curse

Recruiting hasn't gone so well...

Brent Singleton - Left after never playing.
Aaron Hill - Walk-on. Starting.

Lamonte Edwards - Kicked off team.
Dwayne Mitchell - Left after never playing.
Willie Tatum - Left after never playing.
Brendan Beal - Quit due to injuries.
James Manuel - Recruited as defensive back. Presumed Starter.

Quinn Bauducco - Quit due to injuries.
Peter Westerhaus - Has never played due to illness.
Jephte Matilus - Back-up. Played one game last year.

2012 and 2013... Oh please!!!

I heard he was stealing it so he could call AJ's Mom's best friend.

I went to high school with him my sophomore year then went to East Ridge. I had a couple of classes with him, he was a real nice kid. I thought he had a good head on his shoulders. Watched him dominate his senior year, thought he would be a stud for us. Really sad actually, such a naturally gifted athlete.

Also being from Woodbury - there was lot's of buzz about him around town. First kid to be D1 from East Ridge (I believe).

Good kid, Poor decision.

Also being from Woodbury - there was lot's of buzz about him around town. First kid to be D1 from East Ridge (I believe).

Good kid, Poor decision.

He didn't go to East Ridge.

Answering my own question because I was just bored enough to look it up myself. By my count we have 23 Brewster recruits left on the roster out of 124 total players. Breakdown below:

2009: Class size - 20; on current roster - 6; Alipate, Campion, Hageman, Keise, Olson, E., Orseske
2010: Class size - 26; on current roster - 11; Epping, Gjere, Hutton, Kirkwood, Lagania, Lenkiewicz, Manuel, Perry, Vereen, Wilson, Wright
2011: Class size - 26; only 7 committed prior to Brewster being fired and out of those 7, 6 are on the current roster; Bauducco, Olson, T., Matilus, MacAvoy, K., McAvoy, L, Westerhaus

You are correct. He went to Woodbury. My mind slipped on that.

That happens a lot to me in the wintertime here in Moorhead. I have water on the brain, and when it freezes, things slip my mind.

That happens a lot to me in the wintertime here in Moorhead. I have water on the brain, and when it freezes, things slip my mind.

Then do you slip and fall on it?

so were the projected linebackers arron hill, james manuel and Jack Linn with lamonte, damien wilkins, devondre cambell and nick rallis being the 2-3 deeps? or would lamonte start over Manuel?

Like everyone else on here, I was hoping Lamante would have a breakout year. Obviously, that's not going to happen. Instead, he is about to become a soon to be forgotten footnote in Gopher football history. It is sad but there is no excuse for what he did. Time to move on and as they say "next man up!"

Go Gophers!

Like everyone else on here, I was hoping Lamante would have a breakout year. Obviously, that's not going to happen. Instead, he is about to become a soon to be forgotten footnote in Gopher football history. It is sad but there is no excuse for what he did. Time to move on and as they say "next man up!"

Go Gophers!

Well....if he were to go to jail, he could breakout still....

Sorry for bringing in from a different thread; but it does give Lamonte his life long dream in playing for North Dakota State.

Sorry for bringing in from a different thread; but it does give Lamonte his life long dream in playing for North Dakota State.

God d*#(#t. Kid has a full ride scholarship worth about what, $20k a year and pisses it away to steal a $500 iPhone?

One would hope this is his first attempt at theft. One would hope...

Stupid move. In terms we care about, though, it's not a huge deal. I feel the staff has given him every opportunity to become a contributor and he hasn't been able to hold down consistent playing time. He probably would have been beaten out this year by Manuel and the Jucos, and been nothing more than a solid backup for the rest of his career. He always reminded me of a 'reverse Alex Daniels.' As in he was super talented coming out of high school, but just couldn't find a position to be successful at this level. Oh well...

I will remember him for fumbling the opening kick against Northwestern last year and then we were down 7 before everyone was in their seats. As the game played-out, - we would have won without that fumble. (and I remember him not getting in at the goal line against New Mexico State to seal our fate)

Sad to see a kid throw away his scholarship over something as trivial as a cell phone but he certainly isn't the first to do something dumb like this and won't be the last.

From an on the field standpoint it is debatable how much impact this has on the team next year but there is no denying he was a great athlete with some experience returning at the LB position and it leaves us even thinner then we already were from a proven depth standpoint. Even more so now, we are going to have to hope the new guys can step in and be factors right away, a tall order at the Big Ten level.

I will remember him for fumbling the opening kick against Northwestern last year and then we were down 7 before everyone was in their seats. As the game played-out, - we would have won without that fumble. (and I remember him not getting in at the goal line against New Mexico State to seal our fate)

In fairness to Lamonte, he had never returned a kick before and the staff put him back deep at the start of the HC game. He should have been given some reps in the
2nd half of the UNH game so he could gain some experience.

In fairness to Lamonte, he had never returned a kick before and the staff put him back deep at the start of the HC game. He should have been given some reps in the
2nd half of the UNH game so he could gain some experience.

I am sure he had plenty of chances to field a kickoff during practice, there is no way a D1 coaching staff sends a guy out there without seeing him field one in practice. No excuse for not catching that, it wasn't like he was being called off by the other deep guy.

He was fine player and an M man. I hope he completes his degree at the U and becomes successful in his endeavors.

I am sure he had plenty of chances to field a kickoff during practice, there is no way a D1 coaching staff sends a guy out there without seeing him field one in practice. No excuse for not catching that, it wasn't like he was being called off by the other deep guy.

I'm well aware that he had practiced returning kicks during practice, but games are a different animal. Just ask Orseske. If the staff wanted to see how a back-up linebacker would handle kick returns, give him a shot when there is a little less pressure. Not the opening kick-off at HC.

I'm well aware that he had practiced returning kicks during practice, but games are a different animal. Just ask Orseske. If the staff wanted to see how a back-up linebacker would handle kick returns, give him a shot when there is a little less pressure. Not the opening kick-off at HC.

Your point about games and practice being very different is of course true and while it would have been nice to have given him some game reps prior to tossing him out there on Homecoming I am sure he did get plenty of reps in practice and the coaches felt he was ready to handle the responsibility.

I worry far more about a punt returner being thrust into duty. In most cases with Kickoffs there is plenty of time to get yourself set, make the catch, and start running before you need to worry about getting hit. On punt returns if covered well the defense gets there at almost the same time as the ball. Bottom line even without game experience returning kickoffs Edwards should have been fine but he just blew it.

While it certainly started the game off on a bad note it has been discussed many times that you can't claim the outcome of the game would have hinged on that one play, especially early in the game like that.

Edwards should have been fine but he just blew it.

Why should he have been just fine? I watched him in high school as well, and he had never before returned a kickoff in a real football game. The coaches thought that what they saw in practice would translate to the game, put him back there in a key spot, and he didn't make the play. They should have first given him a chance to field a kick in a situation where it wouldn't have been as costly. Plus they obviously didn't have a lot of conviction in their decision as they never let him return another kick all year. It doesn't mean they are a bad coaching staff, they just made a bad decision. And they admitted they thought it was a bad decision by not letting him return another kick the rest of the year.

It's easier to catch a KO than it is to catch a 15-yard out route. Not many things that ARE easier than catching a KO.

Orseske? Comparing fielding a KO with nobody within 10 yards of you and punting the ball is not even in the same zip code, although Orseske certainly hasn't had much luck in games. Punting effectively in live game action is probably 10 times more difficult and complex than most people understand.

Completely agree though that it probably wasn't a great move putting Edwards out there without some serious prior work. That wasn't very well thought out.

Top Bottom