Lemonte Edwards kicked off team for stealing IPhone

Not a great move on his part. Does this mean he loses his scholarship and everything?

Guess that frees up a scholly.

Cost of an iPhone = $400
Cost of 2 years college tuition = $30,000

Stupid choice...

Yeah, not smart. I'm not a smartphone expert by any means but I still know you can track those things. Kicking him off the team is the right thing to do. Our linebacker depth takes another hit, we'll really need the newcomers to make an impact.

Our linebacker depth takes another hit, we'll really need the newcomers to make an impact.

It's questionable whether he would have been in the 2-deeps come August.

Guess that frees up a scholly.

I believe we might be one scholarship short if McDonald joins the team this fall. This would solve that problem. This action must be sending a strong message to the team that you better follow the rules or else.

--sigh--

You could almost see this coming. Sounds like the coaches were having a hard time getting Edwards to step it up. Damn.

Already off the roster.

My son had his ipad, cell phone, and headphones stolen out of his sports locker during basketball practice this past winter. The entire locker room had been raided for money, cell phones, etc. They caught the kid the next day when he showed up for school wearing my son's headphones, and trying to use his ipad. Everything ended up getting recovered except his phone, which was a free flip phone, and all the money and most of the phones from the other kids were recovered too. After getting over my own kid's stupidity of leaving his locker unlocked... I couldn't help but wonder how a kid could be so stupid as to return to the scene of the crime WITH the stolen items. And now we've got Edwards stealing an iphone and leaving it on when everyone knows they can be tracked. In the end, this is the reason a lot of criminals get caught... if they are dumb enough to live outside the law, they are probably dumb enough to get caught too.

Ac-count-a-bil-i-ty.

Kill walking the talk. Classroom, on-the-field, off-the-field . . . it ALL matters.

Probably didn't help Edwards that he didn't "come correct" when first confronted. Being a liar and a thief is not a recipe for keeping your schollie. Wouldn't be tolerated in a work enviroment, and as such - a tough life lesson for the young lad, and the rest of the team.

My son had his ipad, cell phone, and headphones stolen out of his sports locker during basketball practice this past winter. The entire locker room had been raided for money, cell phones, etc. They caught the kid the next day when he showed up for school wearing my son's headphones, and trying to use his ipad. Everything ended up getting recovered except his phone, which was a free flip phone, and all the money and most of the phones from the other kids were recovered too. After getting over my own kid's stupidity of leaving his locker unlocked... I couldn't help but wonder how a kid could be so stupid as to return to the scene of the crime WITH the stolen items. And now we've got Edwards stealing an iphone and leaving it on when everyone knows they can be tracked. In the end, this is the reason a lot of criminals get caught... if they are dumb enough to live outside the law, they are probably dumb enough to get caught too.

I might be misremembering, but I think Freakonomics showed us that 20% of all people in all walks of life everywhere will steal if given the opportunity, and most stealing/burglary is an "inside job". That's a scary number.

I had a bunch of recording tapes stolen by my roommate. They were in his suitcase. For a week. Unlocked. I found them the first time I looked, causally opening it while he was in the room. Idiot.

Who exactly are you guys talking about? I've never heard of Lemonte Edwards.

This has been your dpodoll moment of the day.

Wow, I'm so disappointed in him for throwing away the rest of his career and wasting his potential.

I might be misremembering, but I think Freakonomics showed us that 20% of all people in all walks of life everywhere will steal if given the opportunity, and most stealing/burglary is an "inside job". That's a scary number.

I had a bunch of recording tapes stolen by my roommate. They were in his suitcase. For a week. Unlocked. I found them the first time I looked, causally opening it while he was in the room. Idiot.

Great book. I can't remember the exact number, but you're right.

As far as Edwards, yep, the kid had to go. This is the kind of thing that isn't simply "kids being immature". I can forgive a kid for drinking underage or getting into a bar fight, where being young and immature temporarily blocked his judgment. However, stealing someone's stuff from their locker is unacceptable. It's a drastic character flaw and not a product of pure immaturity. It reminds me a little bit of GeShun Harris (stole bags from airport). Good to see Kill walk-the-walk.

I hope Lamonte Edwards figures it out. He'll probably be able to transfer elsewhere and continue his education. He might even consider staying at the U and trying to get a second shot from Kill next year. I have a hunch he might have stolen it from a teammate, in which case, it's all over, I doubt they'd let him back on the team (not that that should be the ultimate deal breaker, but it probably would be).

All I could think when I read this was "Oh no, Lamonte." 30 minutes later that's still all I've got.

Stupid move. Sucks for him and the U.

I applaud Kill though. He is no nonsense with this stuff. I like that he has high expectations of 'his kids'. Someone else got kicked off the team (maybe last off-season?), but I can't remember who is was now. I don't think they played much. The reason I remember is because people applauded Kill for doing the right thing but others said lets wait and see what he does when it's more of an impact player. Lamonte may not have been an impact player but he was an upperclassman playing possibly our thinnest and weakest position.....and Kill still didn't hesitate. Good

Stupid move. Sucks for him and the U.

I applaud Kill though. He is no nonsense with this stuff. I like that he has high expectations of 'his kids'. Someone else got kicked off the team (maybe last off-season?), but I can't remember who is was now. I don't think they played much. The reason I remember is because people applauded Kill for doing the right thing but others said lets wait and see what he does when it's more of an impact player. Lamonte may not have been an impact player but he was an upperclassman playing possibly our thinnest and weakest position.....and Kill still didn't hesitate. Good

GeShun Harris. . . last summer. He got caught stealing luggage at the airport.

He played a bit his first year here (JuCo, so he was a JR) and looked like he would compete for PT the next year. So a similar kind of player in terms of potential PT to Edwards.

Glad Kill put his foot down. People like this kid make life worse for everyone else. A thief is a thief and he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I'm no expert, but I believe this would constitute gross misdemeanor theft as an IPhone is worth more than $500. He could serve a year in prison and while I think that is a long time for a theft a phone, he should see the inside of a jail cell.

It's well known among some students that he was also friends with the ganj, especially during freshman year. So if stealing the cell phone didn't do it, who knows. Maybe still would have gotten kicked off sometime.

Glad Kill put his foot down. People like this kid make life worse for everyone else. A thief is a thief and he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I'm no expert, but I believe this would constitute gross misdemeanor theft as an IPhone is worth more than $500. He could serve a year in prison and while I think that is a long time for a theft a phone, he should see the inside of a jail cell.

The newest model of iPhone is over $500, not the 4 or earlier versions. It doesn't specify what version was stolen.

GeShun Harris. . . last summer. He got caught stealing luggage at the airport.

He played a bit his first year here (JuCo, so he was a JR) and looked like he would compete for PT the next year. So a similar kind of player in terms of potential PT to Edwards.

Neither one was a great loss from a football perspective. Harris had 1 catch as a junior. Edwards has been a colossal bust as a 4-star prospect. Going into his 4th year, he was surpassed by a walk-on and a redshirt freshman.

The newest model of iPhone is over $500, not the 4 or earlier versions. It doesn't specify what version was stolen.

Great point. If it was the beta version of the iPhone85, it may well have been worth $30,000....

Top Bottom