Leidner gets scholarship offer

SDGopherFan

Reaction score
the gophs to play QB. Anyone know much about him or have a link for some video?

He looks to be mobile, fast for a pro-style qb, and has a very strong arm. He should fit our offense.

Really interesting.
QB depth will be unheard of if everyone sticks.
Either Kill is intent of the QB competition being white hot intense, or position changes are in order,or someone is not going to stick, or all of the above.
Things that make you go hmmmm?

I disagree about his fit for our offense. He appears fast enough to get by in a pro-style system, but not to the level he would need to be successful in this offense. Given his size/speed profile (6'4", 220, 4.9), the only other positions that would seem to fit would be TE or DE. However, his strength (250 bench, 325 squat) is nowhere near where it needs to be to play either of those positions, and I don't know if even a redshirt year would be enough to remedy that sufficiently. And from the Scout lede, it appears that they are indeed offering him as a QB. Setting aside his merits as a player for a moment, and looking strictly at our current roster, why would you want to take 2 QBs (in a small class, nonetheless) when you already have 6 (and no seniors) on the roster? Certainly a strange decision all-around by the Kill Krew.

I disagree about his fit for our offense. He appears fast enough to get by in a pro-style system, but not to the level he would need to be successful in this offense. Given his size/speed profile (6'4", 220, 4.9), the only other positions that would seem to fit would be TE or DE. However, his strength (250 bench, 325 squat) is nowhere near where it needs to be to play either of those positions, and I don't know if even a redshirt year would be enough to remedy that sufficiently. And from the Scout lede, it appears that they are indeed offering him as a QB. Setting aside his merits as a player for a moment, and looking strictly at our current roster, why would you want to take 2 QBs (in a small class, nonetheless) when you already have 6 (and no seniors) on the roster? Certainly a strange decision all-around by the Kill Krew.

The big question is how is he rated by NFL scouts? Because that's how you like to determine how good a college QB is, right?

The big question is how is he rated by NFL scouts? Because that's how you like to determine how good a college QB is, right?

Good lord, don't spill your badgerlove p*ssing contest into a thread about a local kid getting a scholarship offer.
Go back to the wilson thread and ballwash an above average QB making the badgers overlords of the universe despite serious other concerns besides QB.

It can be so difficult to have a big-boy conservation on this board when DMB keeps pi$$ing all over our threads from his tourbus.

Mitch is a great athlete and very mobile. Starter on the basketball team too. He works harder than any kid I have ever seen. He wants to be a QB.

Leidner certainly appears that he can play but Dpo has a point.

I'd guess this means that maybe one of the QBs on the roster isn't coming back and that they see some positional versatility with a few of these kids.

Which is why I see him likely switching to DE. He needs work on his strength and a redshirt year likely won't remedy that issue but he likely wouldn't be seeing playing time in his rFr year anyway. With the size he has I could see him putting on 40 lbs. in 2-3 years and cracking the lineup that way. Often times the QB can be the best athlete on a team and Kill has mentioned before that he's done this same thing in the past.

Won't bet the house, but ....

Leidner certainly appears that he can play but Dpo has a point.

I'd guess this means that maybe one of the QBs on the roster isn't coming back and that they see some positional versatility with a few of these kids.

me thinks it is Parish.

Class Projection:

2011:
Gray, MarQueis Jr.
Lueck, Adam Jr.
Alipate, Moses So.
Parish, Tom RFr.
Shortell, Max Fr. (Redshirted)
Foreman, Dexter Fr. (Redshirted)

2012:
Gray, MarQueis Sr.
Lueck, Adam Sr.
Alipate, Moses Jr.
Parish, Tom So.
Shortell, Max RFr.
Foreman, Dexter RFr.
Nelson, Philip, Fr. (Redshirt)

2013:
Alipate, Moses Sr.
Parish, Tom Jr.
Shortell, Max So.
Foreman, Dexter So.
Nelson, Philip, RFr.

Probably need another QB for 2013, so recruiting another is not too off-base. Is unlikely that you will see a Freshman, even a redshirt Freshman play as the starter if you have enough depth. Having 6 QBs is not a bad thing, or a waste of schollies.

Good layout of the future QB situation. Agreed, this would be another body for the 2013 QB race.
It also then would possibly open up a spot for next season when Kill may not need to recruit a QB and could use the spot for another position.

I may be wrong but I don't think Kill has always had a Chandler Harnish type qb running his offense, I think they are versatile enough to roll with a less mobile guy.

I have never seen either of them play, but is he better than Molberg? Have we offered Molberg?

Too bad there aren't rankings based on loyalty to the state and university, desire to play for the Gophers and familiarity with the culture and climate of Minnesota. This kid would score very high in all three - something that can't be said for most highly ranked, out of state/region players.

I'm on board with this kid! He's got a great frame to play many positions. Speed and strength can be taught by a capable speed/strength coach (which Klein obviously is). They'll get him on a food plan as well, if he needs to put on weight. The more Minn high school players Kill can develop into guys that can contribute at a high level to a competitive Big Ten team - the better!

Too bad there aren't rankings based on loyalty to the state and university, desire to play for the Gophers and familiarity with the culture and climate of Minnesota. This kid would score very high in all three - something that can't be said for most highly ranked, out of state/region players.

I'm on board with this kid! He's got a great frame to play many positions. Speed and strength can be taught by a capable speed/strength coach (which Klein obviously is). They'll get him on a food plan as well, if he needs to put on weight. The more Minn high school players Kill can develop into guys that can contribute at a high level to a competitive Big Ten team - the better!

This was an actual post made in the year 2011. I really hope I am missing the sarcasm.

From the article just posted it sounds like we were looking at him at TE and then we were floored at how well he played at QB (this is according to Mitch, but from the offer, it sounds accurate).

So, it looks like Mitch will be given the chance to compete for QB and would be open to switching over TE (played TE at camp) and that the U could see him at TE.

The entire interview was intriguing. He seemed like a sharp and confident kid so I hope he accepts!

On a side note, it is important to note that Coach Kill made a habit out of recruiting HS QBs at Northern Illinois, giving them a chance and then switching positions. I think doing the math on the recruits (as far as how many people at each position) is probably not a wise way to look at how Coach Kill recruits. He always said that he recruits athletes and has no problem moving them around. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but it just makes it hard to project.

From the article just posted it sounds like we were looking at him at TE and then we were floored at how well he played at QB (this is according to Mitch, but from the offer, it sounds accurate).

So, it looks like Mitch will be given the chance to compete for QB and would be open to switching over TE (played TE at camp) and that the U could see him at TE.

The entire interview was intriguing. He seemed like a sharp and confident kid so I hope he accepts!

On a side note, it is important to note that Coach Kill made a habit out of recruiting HS QBs at Northern Illinois, giving them a chance and then switching positions. I think doing the math on the recruits (as far as how many people at each position) is probably not a wise way to look at how Coach Kill recruits. He always said that he recruits athletes and has no problem moving them around. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but it just makes it hard to project.

Love this! Recruit athletes and football players/IQ first, then find a spot for them. From the interviews the recruits seem to have a clear idea of what they are getting into if they accept the offer.

Ferentz does this quite a bit down at Iowa too. Pretty good article about it. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...awks-that-found-success-by-changing-positions

This was an actual post made in the year 2011. I really hope I am missing the sarcasm.

Not a single ounce of sarcasm was intended. Kill would do very well to take MN players that can be developed into real, Big Ten players like this kid and completely shut out irrelevant ratings and rankings from entertainment websites that make up data.

He's got the facilities and staff to do it, that's for sure.

Indeed!

Of course, that won't jive at all with the "know everything" clique on GopherHole, the ones who think because they can read a website and make some statistics from made up data that they know something about college football and CFG recruiting.

These guys have our recruiting needs mapped out down to the T in their minds. I'm sure they'd love an audience with coach Kill so they could teach him how to recruit the "correct way". LOL!!

Top Bottom