Last Drive is 100% on Kill

I don't think there's any single issue here, but I do think play calling in 4th was nuts. And we've seen it all year. Completely predictable, low average running plays with long yardage, and passing plays for Gray, etc. Gray hasn't been able to throw for two years, everyone knew it. Helluva an athlete, not a big league QB.

Why do people act like Gray has no arms? He still had a nearly 60% completion percentage this year. I agree with most that they probably should have stuck with Nelson at that point, but I don't think it's unacceptable to expect a senior to be able to complete a few passes to wide open receivers.

If people are going to criticize the coaches for the end of the game, then they should also compliment them for the gameplan leading up to the end of the 4th. I thought the gameplan on offense was terrific. We moved the ball and scored a lot of points. And only Oklahoma's defense held TT's passing offense to less yards than the Gophers did.

I think it's ridiculous to put all the blame on the coaches. Equally, it's pretty stupid to not put any blame on them. I think a lot of praise and blame should be spread around.

I thought the team was well prepared and executed the game plan for a major portion of the game. Gray and Nelson were both given a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter and they didn't come through. Nelson will learn from it and move on. Entertaining game.

Might not be the popular vote here but I am hanging this one on the D. They made some great plays at times and did their job for the most part. However, giving them a TD right before half and then cover zero at the end of the game... Not to mention Carter should have ended the game with a pick six. Hard to get on a kid like that for not scoring but that was a deal sealer. All in all, we knew what we were getting out of Gray as a passer and Nelson is a true freshman. I thought the O Line dominated the line of scrimmage and the power scheme was great for what we had to deal with on O. This team improved, I for one will give this staff the benefit of the doubt. Next year I will expect more improvement but then we all will I am sure. I was entertained for four hours in a row watching gopher football in a bowl game last night - have not been able to say that in a long time. Ski-U-Mah.

Why do people act like Gray has no arms? He still had a nearly 60% completion percentage this year. I agree with most that they probably should have stuck with Nelson at that point, but I don't think it's unacceptable to expect a senior to be able to complete a few passes to wide open receivers.

If people are going to criticize the coaches for the end of the game, then they should also compliment them for the gameplan leading up to the end of the 4th. I thought the gameplan on offense was terrific. We moved the ball and scored a lot of points. And only Oklahoma's defense held TT's passing offense to less yards than the Gophers did.

I think it's ridiculous to put all the blame on the coaches. Equally, it's pretty stupid to not put any blame on them. I think a lot of praise and blame should be spread around.

Another well stated post. +1. Nice work!

There was also a dropped int in the 4th quarter that hurt. ALthough I think the offense was a mich bigger issue than the D in the 4th, plenty of blame to go around between the O, D, and coaches.

But - look at it this way - If that pass from Nelson is tipped to a gopher rather than a Tech player, we are talking about how great the team did, what a great gameplan there was, and how we are on the path to a much better season next year. Funny how one bounce can lead to so many things...

I blame this loss on Tim Brewster...Gray should have never been moved to WR.

Come on. What about that last interception where Gray threw into double coverage? He hung the ball up where the Receiver could get whacked and the Safety had an incredibly easy interception. That lousy throw gave TT the win. Gray went what, 7 for 18?

No, no; my mistake that was Nelson who did all that.

The Offense looked very good for three quarters. The lousy QB play resurfaced in the 4th and..game over.

Kill and company had an excellent game plan. The game was lost because of inexperience and lack of execution by players. With receivers that would not start for many Big Ten teams. The staff had them consistently open. Gray missed two wide open receivers on a critical drive. I mean these wr's were wide open. Should Gray have been in the game at that point? That is a questionable move by Kill. Other than that, I see little to blame on Kill. Nelson had no business throwing that pass that was picked. He is a freshmen. A mature QB throws that away and we punt.

What other in-game coaching blunders were made? Doogie keeps emphasizing this too. Yet he provides no examples. If that was a poorly coached game, I have seen some horribly coached bowl games this season. For those critiquing Kill's coaching last night, be specific, because all game I heard people ripping Kill for not blitzing more and then they score to tie the game on a blitz and they ripped him for blitzing. This is nothing more than second guessing.

There is lots of blame to go around. Eldred has to drop that punt on about the 5 from the 41 yard line (I know his coverage didn't do him any favors, but the ball still should have been farther back. Nelson had his head pretty deep up his rump when he threw that last pass. 7-18 is a pretty bad night. Gray missed wide open receivers, which can't happen from a senior. Limegrover had no idea whether he was burning the clock or going for fg range. Clayes shouldn't have left is in cover 0. And snaps, holy crap! Snaps are the most routine play in football. High school centers and quarterbacks should be able to find a way to get the ball from the ground to the QB's hand without issue.

The most miserable thing about a loss like this is that every time this team looks like its ready to take the next step (and it has looked that way several times over the last decade or so), somebody gets a mid-game lobotomy and finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. That needs to stop, because getting to that level requires teams to, when they find themselves in a game they weren't expected to be in, find their best football and go for the jugular, not wet their pants with some uncreative fourth quarter playcalling that would have done the Brew Crew proud.

Sorry, I had to vent a little. We did double our win total from last year. We've set the bar for next year, so if we can get to 7, we can continue to be satisfied with steady improvement (one nice thing is that our 4-0 out of conference record this year means that improving our win total necessarily involves a better B1G record, or a bowl win, so that should make moot the discussion of whether we measure improvement by conference or overall record). I expect us to get a trophy next year. We have miserable 2-6 Iowa in our house, and we also play host to the Badgers who should be in transition. I think that 2 trophies and a 4-4 record would be a nice stretch goal, but get to 7-5, and I will be happy.

Most people pegged us to lose and many figured we'd lose badly. We lost a tough one, but do we really have to come out in force trying to blame the loss on someone? It's a team game, it's a 60 minute game. Mistakes get made by everyone and so do plays. The game never boils down to any single player or mistake. Mistakes in the first quarter are just as costly as mistakes in the 4th.

Ironically, what intensified the pain of yesterday's loss for me, was the very fact that we were much more competitive than I had expected we would be. It was the taste of possible victory that made it hurt so much. Given our relative youth in comparison with our adversary, I am left with hope for the future. At the very least, I think we came away with the ability to argue credibly that we are a program headed in the right direction, which is critically important in the all important competition for quality recruits. In the meantime, we have a promising basketball season ahead to help ease the pain.

Come on. What about that last interception where Gray threw into double coverage? He hung the ball up where the Receiver could get whacked and the Safety had an incredibly easy interception. That lousy throw gave TT the win. Gray went what, 7 for 18?

No, no; my mistake that was Nelson who did all that.

The Offense looked very good for three quarters. The lousy QB play resurfaced in the 4th and..game over.

My issue with the QB play was just a matter of continuity. Just way too difficult for either of them to get into a rhythm with the constant switching. I thought Nelson should have essentially played the entire 2nd half. I was also frustrated at how much they went away from the running game.

For the record, Nelson was not 7-for-18. That is the same box score that had Gray going 1-for-1 for 8 yards. Nelson was attributed with 3 incompletions that were on Gray. Not outstanding, but Nelson was 7-for-15 while Gray was 1-for-4.

After sleeping on it, there's just a LOT of good to take away from this game. For the most part, the game plan was really really good and let's face it, they had a 7-pt lead with barely a minute to play and essentially shut out TTU for nearly 30 minutes. That's nothing to sneeze at but WOW, I was really angry last night afterwards...

Because we've watched all the evidence for two years. If Gray can bust out on a run he's definitely your guy. But he isn't a thrower. It's not like last night was the first we've seen him missing open receivers.

My issue with the QB play was just a matter of continuity. Just way too difficult for either of them to get into a rhythm with the constant switching. I thought Nelson should have essentially played the entire 2nd half. I was also frustrated at how much they went away from the running game.

For the record, Nelson was not 7-for-18. That is the same box score that had Gray going 1-for-1 for 8 yards. Nelson was attributed with 3 incompletions that were on Gray. Not outstanding, but Nelson was 7-for-15 while Gray was 1-for-4.

After sleeping on it, there's just a LOT of good to take away from this game. For the most part, the game plan was really really good and let's face it, they had a 7-pt lead with barely a minute to play and essentially shut out TTU for nearly 30 minutes. That's nothing to sneeze at but WOW, I was really angry last night afterwards...

That's from the Gophersports stats. Odd that it hasn't been corrected yet. Gray certainly missed three throws, two of them to open receivers. Nelson missed a wide open guy in the End Zone when he had plenty of time to throw. He redeemed himself with that wonderful TD throw to Crawford-Tufts. He didn't make to many great throws after that. They both made some bad ones though.

Nelson had a wide open receiver and didn't get the ball to him in time, on the series before Gray missed his two. The announcers were talking about it but nobody on here seems to have noticed it.

I oddly enough, wasn't overly upset last night. Certainly not as much as every other time the Gophers pissed away a game in the final moments. Maybe it was because I didn't think they'd win until Carter's second interception.Was also pretty happy that the Offense looked better than it had looked since the 1st Half of the Purdue game. Couldn't understand why Gray wasn't used more as a Wideout and thought bringing him in for the last series was..interesting.

The Receivers, particularly Engle and Fruechte hold onto the ball when the throw gives them a chance. Nelson and Gray just didn't do that often enough. Not a surprise because that happened in every game starting with the 3rd Quarter against Purdue. The good news is for three Quarters the Offense looked pretty good. The better news is the Defense did too. The two seem to go hand in hand.

Can't tell you about "play calling". I will say that one of the guys we had over last night predicted the direction of 7 Running plays in a row by watching how the Gopher Guards lined-up. If he could do it I'd bet that Opposing Coaches could too.

ANYWAY, bringing Gray in cold on that next-to-last series seemed odd at best. Oh,and glad that your "obsession" with Gray ended "weeks ago". :)

Happy New Year.

Because we've watched all the evidence for two years. If Gray can bust out on a run he's definitely your guy. But he isn't a thrower. It's not like last night was the first we've seen him Shortell, or Nelsonmissing open receivers.

That's been the main problem for the entire Big Ten season. The most frustrating thing is it didn't seem to matter whether they had time to throw or not. Every guy that was trotted out there this year looked pretty bad at throwing the ball. Hopefully, they can get someone who can hit an open receiver next year. If not it's going to be a very disappointing season.

The floating the ball in the air has got to stop. We need fast, hard bullets. That kind of passing makes for lots of interceptions and hurt players. Also the accuracy really needs to step up on the QB.

Because we've watched all the evidence for two years. If Gray can bust out on a run he's definitely your guy. But he isn't a thrower. It's not like last night was the first we've seen him missing open receivers.

You can also add Nelson to that as well. He hasn't shown the ability to consistently hit open receivers either. That's the thing that is confusing me. People are acting like we were trying to throw with our less viable thrower and I don't think that is the case. They've both been pretty bad at times this year.

One of the bigger underlying problems is the fact there are no playmakers at WR. Much more of a problem than I thought when the season started.

I've noticed a number of incompletions (not the two Gray threw into the bleachers last night) over the second half of the season that sure seemed to be a result of the receiver not running his route hard from start to finish. I think DC-T seems to be the biggest offender in this regard. There have been a number of balls just off his finger tips (and others, not just Tufts) and looking at the replay, he slowed down at some point during his route. He did it again last night. Fruechte has been guilty as well. I'm guessing, particularly for Tufts, he's used to always being the fastest guy on the field, and/or he's not quite used to a QB who CAN throw it as far/fast as he can run.

At any rate, can't recall a team that had so FEW actual PLAYS made by a WR; plays where they went up and after a ball that was maybe not quite on the money, etc. Somebody has to step up next year, plain and simple.

I thought the team was well prepared and executed the game plan for a major portion of the game. Gray and Nelson were both given a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter and they didn't come through. Nelson will learn from it and move on. Entertaining game.

I agree. It's unfortunate that it ended the way it did but the the plan was a good one.

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill defends his bowl-game decisions

"We were in a two-minute offense and trying to win the game," Kill said Friday. "We had a minute left on the clock, we were indoors, our kicker (Jordan Wettstein) has a chance to kick 50 yards and we were on the 35-yard line. We make two or three passes and kick a field goal and win the game."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

There's no need for a search committees anymore.. All of College Football's head coach vacancy's can be found by the users of Gopherhole.. Stick your madden games boys

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill defends his bowl-game decisions

"We were in a two-minute offense and trying to win the game," Kill said Friday. "We had a minute left on the clock, we were indoors, our kicker (Jordan Wettstein) has a chance to kick 50 yards and we were on the 35-yard line. We make two or three passes and kick a field goal and win the game."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Agree 100%. There were two low snaps and a bad decision by Nelson. Execution was the issue. If the Nelson pass was incomplete, the game goes into OT.

Coaches are stupid. They think they are geniuses.

LOL - I only have one disagreement with the above post. If you substitute the word FireCosgroveGuy for Coaches you have hit the nail on the head! I can't believe that somebody hasn't hired you by now.:confused:

One of the most entertaining threads I have read.

Interesting to read the variety of perspectives from people. Whether I agree or not with comments is pointless.
I do find it highly entertaining though.

Top Bottom