Last Drive is 100% on Kill

I'm not crazy about the play calling on that last drive at all. Why run a QB off-tackle on 2nd if you're going to throw on 3rd?

Still, Kill did not lose that game. Gray ran well, but his passing was awful. Rallis was brutal again. Our WR group is so painfully average........the program is going in the right direction under Kill's leadership. This game was frustrating, though.

Last few drives weren't that creative. Could have put this one away several times. I hesitate to put it all on Kill, but the team looked a bit undisciplined at times and lost its cool. That's where I'm more critical of the coaching staff.

Shades of Northwestern 2008 (except just short of a pick six this time)? Throwing long to go for the win ends up losing the game. I get that they had to go for a first down in this case, but a shorter, lower risk, higher percentage pass would've probably been more appropriate.

I am going to admit, I am VERY frustrated right now. I even grew a freckin' hernia from this. What matters is that we were competitive and a YOUNG and INEXPERIENCE TEAM (#### the haters, it's true). I can't wait to see what's in store for next year.

EDIT: Fire Matt Limegrover. We had TWO interceptions and did NOT use that as an advantage. Instead we played conservatively. GOD.

Late playcalling was questionable, but Nelson and Gray were worse. I'm putting this one on them.

I'm not crazy about the play calling on that last drive at all. Why run a QB off-tackle on 2nd if you're going to throw on 3rd?

Still, Kill did not lose that game. Gray ran well, but his passing was awful. Rallis was brutal again. Our WR group is so painfully average........the program is going in the right direction under Kill's leadership. This game was frustrating, though.

Coaches are stupid. They think they are geniuses.

If you make them use a timeout..........you are a part of the great chess match.

In reality, you are an idiot. You have no idea what you are doing. Either run it on 1st down and see what they will do with timeouts and/or find out how many yards you can get OR go balls out 3 times.

They are all idiots that think they are God's gift to football but in reality they have no idea what they are really doing.

Kill and Nelson he shouldn't have thrown the ball.

I don't know who to blame most; Gray, or the coaches that kept trotting him out there in the 4th. Just inexplicable. Gray is just an awesome human being, great ambassador for the school but I am SOOOOOOO glad his time is done

actually most of the blame should probably go to the freshman QB. This was nelson's first close game as a QB he was just trying to do to much. Hopefully he learns from it and lives up to the hype that everyone on the board already has for him.

Shades of Northwestern 2008 (except just short of a pick six this time)? Throwing long to go for the win ends up losing the game. I get that they had to go for a first down in this case, but a shorter, lower risk, higher percentage pass would've probably been more appropriate.

That's the first thing I thought of of.

Two bad snaps killed that drive. Nelson ran with the second one because he had to make something of it.

If you make them use a timeout..........you are a part of the great chess match.

In reality, you are an idiot. You have no idea what you are doing. Either run it on 1st down and see what they will do with timeouts and/or find out how many yards you can get OR go balls out 3 times.

They are all idiots that think they are God's gift to football but in reality they have no idea what they are really doing.

So the whole game boils down to that series then? How many open receivers did our QBs miss? How was the play-calling on those plays? Gray had 2 horrible misses that would have been 1st downs and kept drives alive. It wasn't the play-calling there. We had a huge drive early snuffed out by 70 yards in penalties by one guy. Was that bad play calling? This game didn't hinge on play-calling on either side of the ball.

Totally! Not at all like u! U r the genius. 4 sure. Sleep well genius.

Wow! R u absolutely clueless. Nelson? Get a clue pal. No way you played sports at a high level.

The guy who threw the game-sealing interception and the guy who missed wide-open receivers at crucial moments?

Yeah, call me crazy, but I'm going to say they played a big part in that loss. But then, maybe I just lack the requisite enlightenment to see the incomparable splendor of a 7-for-18 performance.

So the whole game boils down to that series then? How many open receivers did our QBs miss? How was the play-calling on those plays? Gray had 2 horrible misses that would have been 1st downs and kept drives alive. It wasn't the play-calling there. We had a huge drive early snuffed out by 70 yards in penalties by one guy. Was that bad play calling? This game didn't hinge on play-calling on either side of the ball.

The whole game didn't boil down to it but it is a microcosm of what has already been witnessed. Its not like Limegrover hasn't been criticized many times over.

WTF are you calling throws for with Gray????? Yeah, he has been throwing it all game. Or all season? The guy has barely played QB in 2-3 months. They went away from everything that worked to try to trick people.

You don't try to close a game out with 2 passes from a guy that has barely thrown the ball.

This game was lost when we didn't get a first down with 3 minutes left. But anyone who's having a hernia and screaming for coaches to be fired hasn't been a Gopher fan long and puts way too much stock in whether we win or lose a minor bowl. This loss doesn't even crack the top 10 heartbreaks of the last decade for me.

Play calling sucked!! We scored TD's so call those TD plays again, it isn't rocket science. And blitz all the time so we get more sacks. kill is a moron.

The whole game didn't boil down to it but it is a microcosm of what has already been witnessed. Its not like Limegrover hasn't been criticized many times over.

WTF are you calling throws for with Gray????? Yeah, he has been throwing it all game. Or all season? The guy has barely played QB in 2-3 months. They went away from everything that worked to try to trick people.

You don't try to close a game out with 2 passes from a guy that has barely thrown the ball

I agree with this completely, in hindsight. If Gray completes one of those throws, the Gophers win and everyone is talking about how great it is that he went out with a win...

This game was lost when we didn't get a first down with 3 minutes left. But anyone who's having a hernia and screaming for coaches to be fired hasn't been a Gopher fan long and puts way too much stock in whether we win or lose a minor bowl. This loss doesn't even crack the top 10 heartbreaks of the last decade for me.

I'm not screaming for people to be fired. Just pointing out that the only reason the coaches should be retained is because they just signed new contracts.

That kind of pathetic coaching performance should not be tolerated. Period.

You don't try to close a game out with 2 passes from a guy that has barely thrown the ball.

Passing is a trick play? Those were 10 yard hitch routes. A HS JV QB hits those 70% of the time. Is it unreasonable to think that Gray could do it? If Tech is selling out to stop the run and you have receivers running open, aren't you obligated to try and throw it to them? It's not like he was throwing 50 yard streak routes.

Get a clue, buddy. There's a football game going on out there. You're missing out on a lot.

I agree with this completely, in hindsight. If Gray completes one of those throws, the Gophers win and everyone is talking about how great it is that he went out with a win...

Practice makes perfect. Gray has basically spend the last 2 months being told by the staff and NFL people that he is a TE/WR in the NFL. So prep for that, run routes for the games late in the season and in the bowl game. BUT now, in crunch time........throw the ball.

Its just dumb. If he had started the game and had success throwing it a bunch, sure, but no way with how it all went down. No way.

Passing is a trick play? Those were 10 yard hitch routes. A HS JV QB hits those 70% of the time. Is it unreasonable to think that Gray could do it? If Tech is selling out to stop the run and you have receivers running open, aren't you obligated to try and throw it to them? It's not like he was throwing 50 yard streak routes.

Get a clue, buddy. There's a football game going on out there. You're missing out on a lot.

You are one of the homers. Its fine, but get real. I already addressed this stuff. Gray wasn't an accurate QB to begin with, let alone after being told to be a WR for 2 months.

Just a bad, bad loss. Unacceptable to have so thoroughly dominated the LOS and 2nd half, only to gag at the end. Young team? It's 13th game of the year, for God's sake. No one is a freshman anymore. Our coaches got hammered by an interim HC on the Tech sideline. Especially late. Awful to lose this one, especially to such a cheapshot team as Tech. Not as bad as the Mason collapse 6 years prior (which got him fired) but eerily reminiscent of that one. Kill needs to raise his game.

I'm not screaming for people to be fired. Just pointing out that the only reason the coaches should be retained is because they just signed new contracts.

That kind of pathetic coaching performance should not be tolerated. Period.

As in 2006 we lost a game we expected to lose. Being upset because we were ahead when you wouldn't be if we'd simply lost by 10 points in a shoot-out is moronic.

Top Bottom