Last Drive is 100% on Kill

You are one of the homers. Its fine, but get real. I already addressed this stuff. Gray wasn't an accurate QB to begin with, let alone after being told to be a WR for 2 months.

I'm not a homer, i'm just a guy that knows a lot more about football than you. That's OK. I know it's tough for you to grasp basic football concepts. Gray practiced all of last spring, all summer, all fall camp and started the first 5 games of the season. He moved back to QB for the bowl prep. That's a ton of work at QB, and that's just in this calender year.

.....but you're right, let's not have him throw open 10 yard hitch routes.

Let me get this straight, Kill/Limegrover/Claeys don't know football, but you do?

Right.

firecosgroveguy is obviously the most rational poster on the board. i mean look at his moniker.

arguing with this socrates will leave us nowhere. admit defeat. fire the gopher football department.

i used to have some bit of respect for studwell and kellyleeks (if only because they were self-styled gophersports iconoclasts), but this nonsense has exposed their shallowness.

Passing is a trick play? Those were 10 yard hitch routes. A HS JV QB hits those 70% of the time. Is it unreasonable to think that Gray could do it? If Tech is selling out to stop the run and you have receivers running open, aren't you obligated to try and throw it them?

Bingo. A HS JV QB. Yet again, the Gophers played a team that gambled Gray is incapable of the forward pass and they came away victorious. Painful.

I'm not a homer, i'm just a guy that knows a lot more about football than you. That's OK. I know it's tough for you to grasp basic football concepts. Gray practiced all of last spring, all summer, all fall camp and started the first 5 games of the season. He moved back to QB for the bowl prep. That's a ton of work at QB, and that's just in this calender year.

Let me get this straight, Kill/Limegrover/Claeys don't know football, but you do?

Right.

Self proclaimed genius! Excellent.

Play calling sucked!! We scored TD's so call those TD plays again, it isn't rocket science. And blitz all the time so we get more sacks. kill is a moron.

That is some funny stuff. If your serious, you are the moron.

Just a bad, bad loss. Unacceptable to have so thoroughly dominated the LOS and 2nd half, only to gag at the end. Young team? It's 13th game of the year, for God's sake. No one is a freshman anymore. Our coaches got hammered by an interim HC on the Tech sideline. Especially late. Awful to lose this one, especially to such a cheapshot team as Tech. Not as bad as the Mason collapse 6 years prior (which got him fired) but eerily reminiscent of that one. Kill needs to raise his game.

Ya, the way Tech coached in that 2nd half was awesome! 13.5 pt favorites, they cruised to victory. U, r a dork.

Late playcalling was questionable, but Nelson and Gray were worse. I'm putting this one on them.

We need a QB who can hit at 60% or so. Gray was probably rusty tonight, though if he can run as QB, why not sometimes as RB? Nelson may improve (or be replaced by someone more consistent) but overall the Gophers played well tonight - a young team with a lot of spirit. There was a bit of sitting on a lead near the end and that - plus less than 50% passing - cost us.

Two bad snaps in the last drive.

How many times were we in the gun tonight before that?

I don't think there's any single issue here, but I do think play calling in 4th was nuts. And we've seen it all year. Completely predictable, low average running plays with long yardage, and passing plays for Gray, etc. Gray hasn't been able to throw for two years, everyone knew it. Helluva an athlete, not a big league QB.

Nelson isn't great and I'm not convinced he's the answer for the next three years. But am I the only one who thought he played better tonight in many instances than he has all season? I thought he was calmer than usual, handled play action well, pulled out a nice pass on a scramble that he wouldn't normally have hit. He had some overthrown balls but they weren't all 5 yards over. Higher tier receivers would help a lot. Not a perfect game from him but I thought he showed improvement.

There's room for improvement all over the field.

The Tech coaches had no freaking idea what was happening on the field.

It showed.

Then they, like, won.

Eff me.

This game was lost when we didn't get a first down with 3 minutes left. But anyone who's having a hernia and screaming for coaches to be fired hasn't been a Gopher fan long and puts way too much stock in whether we win or lose a minor bowl. This loss doesn't even crack the top 10 heartbreaks of the last decade for me.

I wish we could get away from this mindset. The failure to get a first down with 3 minutes left does not excuse somehow managing to lose in regulation time. The zero blitz call that allowed the TD is pretty much indefensible as was the decision to pass the ball on first down after the game was tied and Tech had just two timeouts.

Just because things happen to the Gophers all the time (blown leads, meltdowns, choke jobs, whatever) doesn't mean that they should be accepted because they simply don't happen like this elsewhere.

I agree with you that this loss doesn't even crack the top 10 heartbreaks of the last decade, but it would be in the top 5 heartbreaks for fans of almost any other program in the nation. It's just unacceptable to keep seeing things like this happen and we can't become numb to it or think "it's not that bad" because it is that bad. I certainly don't agree with pinning the loss on one coach/player, but to sweep it under the rug makes no sense either.

4 plays really hurt in 4th quarter - 2 wide open receivers when our qb not only missed them about threw way over their heads - a missed int by nos/. 3 and a weird kick=off return when a big bulky lineman took the ball away from a speedy back... A game we should have won and I still do not get why we cant get a punter>??

--

@NSandell: #Gophers DC Tracy Claeys:"That was my fault at the end. I should have kept some over the top ...There's a call or two I'd like to have back"

I don't think there's any single issue here, but I do think play calling in 4th was nuts. And we've seen it all year. Completely predictable, low average running plays with long yardage, and passing plays for Gray, etc. Gray hasn't been able to throw for two years, everyone knew it. Helluva an athlete, not a big league QB.

Nelson isn't great and I'm not convinced he's the answer for the next three years. But am I the only one who thought he played better tonight in many instances than he has all season? I thought he was calmer than usual, handled play action well, pulled out a nice pass on a scramble that he wouldn't normally have hit. He had some overthrown balls but they weren't all 5 yards over. Higher tier receivers would help a lot. Not a perfect game from him but I thought he showed improvement.

There's room for improvement all over the field.

Agree with everything. Coaching did not impress me, but then again, I haven't been impressed by a Gopher coach in a very long time.

Sad we lost, more impressed by how well we played for most of the game. Nelson had a decent game and until his last drive, Gray was good also. Yes one more first down would have won the game, but generally pleased.

Oh. Looks like I'll have to step away from GH for awhile too.

Some of you people.. Wow.

Last drive was terrible play calling. Run on second down, then throw on third?

Also, it seems like every game we are using our timeouts at unnecessary times. Had one timeout left to work with on that last drive.

Apparently they did not know more than the Texas Tech interim staff full of guys just elevated to be the head coach and coordinators.

Right.

Oh. Looks like I'll have to step away from GH for awhile too.

Some of you people.. Wow.

You and me both. Might just stay away until signing day. Hang out on the BBall side until them.

I wish we could get away from this mindset. The failure to get a first down with 3 minutes left does not excuse somehow managing to lose in regulation time. The zero blitz call that allowed the TD is pretty much indefensible as was the decision to pass the ball on first down after the game was tied and Tech had just two timeouts.

Just because things happen to the Gophers all the time (blown leads, meltdowns, choke jobs, whatever) doesn't mean that they should be accepted because they simply don't happen like this elsewhere.

I agree with you that this loss doesn't even crack the top 10 heartbreaks of the last decade, but it would be in the top 5 heartbreaks for fans of almost any other program in the nation. It's just unacceptable to keep seeing things like this happen and we can't become numb to it or think "it's not that bad" because it is that bad. I certainly don't agree with pinning the loss on one coach/player, but to sweep it under the rug makes no sense either.

No offense, but if losing the car care bowl game is one of your programs worst 5 heartbreaks in history, there are other issues.

Gophs were 13 point dogs and lost by 3. I loss is a loss is a loss. Got beat by a better team and no shame in that.

Got beat by a better team and no shame in that.

Not really. The Gophers were the better team last night and should have won. One more first down in the last 3:00 minutes or so and they would have. Let me just get this out of my system until hope springs eternal again next year...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..cough..ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
cough.

Not really. The Gophers were the better team last night and should have won. One more first down in the last 3:00 minutes or so and they would have. Let me just get this out of my system until hope springs eternal again next year...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..cough..ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
cough.

I will agree that for much of the game they gophs controlled the line of scrimmage. But to say the gops are a better team than Tech is a reach, IMO. Maybe on gopherhole they are a better team, but oddsmakers and the rest of the country would not take that stance.
Regardless, not a horrible showing by any means and hopefully if the mistakes can be cut down, there can be some more wins in the future.

We lost and that hurts but if you didn't see the bright side in much of what we did you suck.

To me the key plays in the end were Gray's two over throws, 2 bad snaps forcing Nelson to run on 2nd down, and up back taking the return away.

Ya'll forget how young this team is.

I don't know who to blame most; Gray, or the coaches that kept trotting him out there in the 4th. Just inexplicable. Gray is just an awesome human being, great ambassador for the school but I am SOOOOOOO glad his time is done

Yep. Guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn last night. Maybe because he hasn't really been a qb all year(or ever for that matter) so hasn't had the reps to be effective. I don't know but I don't think I would have had him getting so many reps in the 4th quarter.

Yep. Guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn last night. Maybe because he hasn't really been a qb all year(or ever for that matter) so hasn't had the reps to be effective. I don't know but I don't think I would have had him getting so many reps in the 4th quarter.

I didnt understand the QB subbing either, especially in the 4th. Pick a guy at that point and go with him. I agree those missed passes were huge.

Agree with everything. Coaching did not impress me, but then again, I haven't been impressed by a Gopher coach in a very long time.

With you here (although this maybe isn't the thread to have this discussion). I lurch around on Kill a bit. Maybe I just have to get used to his style. Claeys seems to be a stand-up guy, but I've never heard Limegrover confess to shortcomings in his plans/playcalling.

The whole game didn't boil down to it but it is a microcosm of what has already been witnessed. Its not like Limegrover hasn't been criticized many times over.

WTF are you calling throws for with Gray????? Yeah, he has been throwing it all game. Or all season? The guy has barely played QB in 2-3 months. They went away from everything that worked to try to trick people.

You don't try to close a game out with 2 passes from a guy that has barely thrown the ball.

Having a pass play called for Gray on 1st and 10, with the lead late in the game, when a clock killing drive is needed was insanity. Why not stick with what worked? Run the dang ball when Gray is in the game.

Tip of the cap to the poster who states mediocre teams lose in miserable ways. Kill has to find a way to stop spotting teams 7 points the 1st set of downs or on the KO. It was an entertaining game.

Top Bottom